Reload this Page >

Driving Licence query

Driving Licence query

Old Mar 26th 2016, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Daveckj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Driving Licence query

Hello again all,

wondering if anybody more knowledgeable than me might have a view on this?

I have a old ex-british army (6 ton tare) 12 ton gross 4x4 truck that I have been using in the UK around a yard to move equipment etc. It is fully road legal though and is sometimes used on the road (but is not driven by me as it is a class 3 in the UK I believe).

It is well over 15 years old. If I was to import this to Canada to use mostly in the woods, would I be able to drive it on the road - if it has its safety etc? I have been looking at the New Brunswick licence stuff and according to the drivers licences page a person with a class 5 licence can drive any two-axle motor vehicle except an ambulance, a taxicab or a bus.

There is no mention of a weight restriction?

It is two axles and is a motor vehicle and is not an ambulance, taxicab or bus - it is just a bit larger than a car (but smaller than my 7.5 tonne gross wagon that I can drive on the roads in the UK with a car licence???).

Any thoughts. Am I completely missing something?

Cheers

DJ
Old Mar 27th 2016, 2:44 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving Licence query

Originally Posted by Daveckj
Hello again all,

wondering if anybody more knowledgeable than me might have a view on this?

I have a old ex-british army (6 ton tare) 12 ton gross 4x4 truck that I have been using in the UK around a yard to move equipment etc. It is fully road legal though and is sometimes used on the road (but is not driven by me as it is a class 3 in the UK I believe).

It is well over 15 years old. If I was to import this to Canada to use mostly in the woods, would I be able to drive it on the road - if it has its safety etc? I have been looking at the New Brunswick licence stuff and according to the drivers licences page a person with a class 5 licence can drive any two-axle motor vehicle except an ambulance, a taxicab or a bus.

There is no mention of a weight restriction?

It is two axles and is a motor vehicle and is not an ambulance, taxicab or bus - it is just a bit larger than a car (but smaller than my 7.5 tonne gross wagon that I can drive on the roads in the UK with a car licence???).

Any thoughts. Am I completely missing something?

Cheers

DJ
If it has one axle front one back, two axle a class 5 would cover it. If it is two axles at the rear and one front, a class 3 is required.

To import and use the vehicle, it would have to pass a commercial vehicle inspection.

You would be best advised to contact licensing in NB for a more definitive answer.