Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Don't Trash the UK!

Don't Trash the UK!

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Don't Trash the UK!

Originally Posted by The_Pom_From_Aus
sarah_matt;

you need to open your eyes love, i think you must have been on the piss when you wrote this post, you are looking at the UK through rose tinted glasses, its completely Knackered now the place its full of blasted migrants who want all for now't. like it or lump it & when you say you have no problems staying there, then you get what you deserve, do you have kids at all if so then open your eyes & think of there future. i rest my case, if you like it there your in a minority.????
And presumably you're one of those 'blasted migrants' yourself? Hypocrisy still lives then?!?

I have kids and don't see any problems with 'there (sic) future' - they have a great village school with 15 pupils to a class, lots of countryside all around to have fun in, they live close to both sets of grandparents and all their other relatives and see them regularly, and frankly are having a fairly old fashioned idyllic childhood here.

And you never know, perhaps they'll get a good enough education at their fantastic school that they'll learn to differentiate between there/they're/their and your/you're?!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
I think you will find that knife crime and major crimes are committed mainly in larger cities such as Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver.

Crime in our area is very low and we rarely lock our door. While we were out the delivery guy dropped off our central vacuum into the garage and then shut the door behind him.
Of course major crimes are mainly committed in Canada's larger cities Dave, but I noted that the person that cited 'escalating knife crime' as a reason for leaving the UK was heading to Vancouver!
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:33 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Which is actually only a close second to "the ony gay in the village" accent.

"Whose coat is that jacket".

Welsh: you couldn't make it up".

R.
I don`t get that one?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

The_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond reputeThe_Pom_From_Aus has a reputation beyond repute

christmasoompa;
seeming you live just out of London, maybe you don't live on a council estate & your standard of living is good for you, at least you don't see lots of migrants or the problems that come with it all or maybe you just close your eyes. after all do they all live next door to you i bet not.???
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:39 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crystal23
Hallelujah. Someone who says SOME PARTS of the UK are grim and SOME PARTS of Canada are grim instead of slagging off the whole of the UK and the whole of Canada.

I lived in a village close to Christmasoompa and I agree with everything in her posts about the idyllic lifestyle because it is actually like that. It doesn't mean I haven't been to crappy parts of the UK and seen how other people live and I can fully appreciate why they would want to leave the UK. I wouldn't go back to the UK if I lived in some of the places described on BE.

However these people assume that because they have lived in a sh*thole everybody else has and I struggle to understand how they can compare somewhere like the arse-end of Glasgow to Gerrards Cross in Bucks or Sandbanks in Dorset.

So far as being loaded because you live in Bucks as someone said There are actually council estates in most of the villages and my friends who live in said council houses most certainly aren't loaded. Neither were we and we still aren't especially having spent thousands moving to Oz and now moving back again.

We bought the worst house in one of the nicest roads and spent years doing it up every time we had some spare money usually from us doing overtime.

Sending you some k for a sensible post
I was the one that said that people who live in Bucks were loaded. It was really just said as a figure of speech, as it is commonly perceived that the people that live in places like Bucks, Herts, Surrey and Kent etc are loaded. But I am sure certain/many areas of these places have their downmarket areas and associated problems as well, just like the rest of the country.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:42 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Hey with free segregation thrown in.

R.
They still have segregation in these places? Or do they just still walk around in white overalls burning crosses and doing the rest of that shit every weekend
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

Summer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really niceSummer-Caitlin is just really nice

This is a very interesting thread. I can see both sides of this argument but I for one side with the view that not everywhere in the UK is equal. I live in Aberdeen in Scotland and as it is part of the UK and it is the part I live in, I can't escape the fact that I really do hate it here.

I have been back here now for a long time, I have lived in Malta and Australia and while I agree that every country and area has faults, I am most unhappy here. I have many reasons for this, too many to go into here, but this is why I am leaving. If I was completely happy, then I wouldn't dare pick up and move. I am not seeing Canada through rose tinted glasses either, I know that there will likely be things I dislike, but the opportunites Canada can give me is much more than I could ever dream of acheiving here. Everyone has their own reasons for leaving the UK and while others may have very good experiences of the UK, there are others that do not...hence we are leaving

I do love the UK for it's proximity to Europe and I have family here so I will definitely return to see them, but other than that I don't feel there is much here for me.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 7:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa;
seeming you live just out of London, maybe you don't live on a council estate & your standard of living is good for you, at least you don't see lots of migrants or the problems that come with it all or maybe you just close your eyes. after all do they all live next door to you i bet not.???
I don't understand all your post (what on earth does 'i bet not' mean?!?). But we have a council estate in our village - no migrants on it to my knowledge though (and I know most people in the village). And our last house was on a council estate near Uxbridge, not a single migrant there either. Where on earth are you getting your information from, the Daily Mail?!?

No eyes closed, they just aren't here I'm afraid.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:01 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by Ruby Murray
I'm sure this is a line that will "open the floodgates"! Aren't we all immigrants in Canada, Oz, USA, NZ, Spain, etc...??

It's a well known fact that it's not the immigrants that are the benefits drain on the UK, but the lazy white trash that breed relentlessly from the ages of 14 onwards for the sake of getting a council house, free rent and fag money!!

By the way...I do not wear rose tinted specs but I would go back home in a heartbeat and I should know what I'm talking about cos I've ping-ponged my way back and forth twice now and 2nd time round I realise that the UK, despite it's faults, is my homeland and I personally prefer it to what I have here (or rather haven't got) in Canada.
Of course, the original immigrants were are all nasty white imports who kicked the rightful owners into touch in the name of bringing them civilization and God etc. When really it was just a huge financial operation for Europe to line their pockets. Since then immigrants white, brown and black etc have emigrated to these countries from all parts of the world, so yes they are all immigrants as well and as each passing decade goes by the poor indigenous population fades even more into obscurity.

The most hipocritical thing about all of this though, is that the children of these immigrants now dictate which immigrants they think should be eligible to come to these countries now. When all their original ancestors did was just land and plant a stupid flag and declared the new land and all its people in the name of some poxy European country.

As for immigrants to Spain I imagine you are referring to Brits or other nationalities that have settled here?
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting debate that one...

It seems that there are a lot of people on a Canadian expat site that love the uk. Then I would say, what are you doing here. I agree with an earlier post that if you are intending to live in Canada then you need to get with the program and absolutely want to live there and want to settle and to believe in that nominated country.

I think that in many ways this is going to come accross to others like I hate the uk, which I don't. I am however setting myself up for believing in a country that I want to invest the rest of my life in.

Now I have been to Vancouver 3/4 times and they way I describe it to people who haven't been is that its England 30 years ago when people had values and cared about their environment. There seems to be a level of general respect even in the younger kids and I would also say from the limited view of what I have seen that Canada's immigration policy seems to work and work well. I don't see huge cultural divides here as it seems that most people are just trying to live together in peace.

The uk, although I will always be patriotic is none of those things and has been mismanaged for a number of years now. I cannot believe that there are people who have not seen this who live here.

I used to have a 20 odd year old woman living next to me who had two kids. The youngest was 4. I used to see him out in the street learning how to tell people to f--- off. Lovely. Can you imagine what happens when he has kids eek.

Also the comment that people are polite on the tube is tosh. Try heading back home after 9-10 at night. Gangs of youths looking for trouble is a common sight.

These are not isolated incident but endemic of the culture. people also tend to go on about the immigrants a lot. Its not really their fault to be honest. If our governement tells them that they can come in and be housed for free and their bills paid for free and that they will never have to work then really, what can you expect.

My current local authority is the one that paid a private landlord £12000 (yes £12000) per month because they were short of housing for an afghan family of seven. Its had a lot of publicity in London recently.

I asked the council if I could joing the scheme that does this (as I have decided to rent out for a while while the housing market recovers) and was told that they only pay below market rate. The max they would pay out is £1200 for a three bed house.

Is that mean't to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the country of my birth. It tells me that they are way too hung up on being pc in a modern age when that kind of attitude only makes them less pc.

anyway, apologies for this over long post. Its just a parting rant really.

I can't believe that anyone would actually read all this anyway ;-)
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 8:18 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Originally Posted by londonhatter
Interesting debate that one...

It seems that there are a lot of people on a Canadian expat site that love the uk. Then I would say, what are you doing here. I agree with an earlier post that if you are intending to live in Canada then you need to get with the program and absolutely want to live there and want to settle and to believe in that nominated country.

I think that in many ways this is going to come accross to others like I hate the uk, which I don't. I am however setting myself up for believing in a country that I want to invest the rest of my life in.

Now I have been to Vancouver 3/4 times and they way I describe it to people who haven't been is that its England 30 years ago when people had values and cared about their environment. There seems to be a level of general respect even in the younger kids and I would also say from the limited view of what I have seen that Canada's immigration policy seems to work and work well. I don't see huge cultural divides here as it seems that most people are just trying to live together in peace.

The uk, although I will always be patriotic is none of those things and has been mismanaged for a number of years now. I cannot believe that there are people who have not seen this who live here.

I used to have a 20 odd year old woman living next to me who had two kids. The youngest was 4. I used to see him out in the street learning how to tell people to f--- off. Lovely. Can you imagine what happens when he has kids eek.

Also the comment that people are polite on the tube is tosh. Try heading back home after 9-10 at night. Gangs of youths looking for trouble is a common sight.

These are not isolated incident but endemic of the culture. people also tend to go on about the immigrants a lot. Its not really their fault to be honest. If our governement tells them that they can come in and be housed for free and their bills paid for free and that they will never have to work then really, what can you expect.

My current local authority is the one that paid a private landlord £12000 (yes £12000) per month because they were short of housing for an afghan family of seven. Its had a lot of publicity in London recently.

I asked the council if I could joing the scheme that does this (as I have decided to rent out for a while while the housing market recovers) and was told that they only pay below market rate. The max they would pay out is £1200 for a three bed house.

Is that mean't to make me feel all warm and fuzzy about the country of my birth. It tells me that they are way too hung up on being pc in a modern age when that kind of attitude only makes them less pc.

anyway, apologies for this over long post. Its just a parting rant really.

I can't believe that anyone would actually read all this anyway ;-)
Just did read it Agree with the point that if you want to live in Canada you should get with the program, as there is not much use in going there unless you think your life is going to improve. If you don`t think it will, better to stay put and avoid all the hassle. Where I live a number of Brits that I know of, often say what they love about the UK but on the other hand have no intention of going back other than just a holiday to visit family or friends (but as many are just about an hour or so away from the UK they feel pretty close anyway)

I think its a case than when people emigrate, many just can`t really cut their cultural ties to where they are from, wheras others can do it quite quickly. Those that can do it quite quicly are more likely to adapt to their new surroundings and have less inclination to return home one day in the future.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:17 am
SUPER MODERATOR

It seems that there are a lot of people on a Canadian expat site that love the uk. Then I would say, what are you doing here.
Are we not entitled to post on this forum as well? Please remember that many expats, like us, are being sent abroad by work so may not have the same drive and reasons for going to Canada as you, but that doesn't make us any less deserving of the help, friendship and advice of this forum.

Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

londonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of lightlondonhatter is a glorious beacon of light

Then if you are being forced against your will to go to Canada why are you taking part in a discussion that you have no real feelings for and don't understand why people are in the position that they are in with the feelings that they have.

Thats not to say that you should stay out of certain dicsussions but you have to consider that you are in a different place than the people who are getting emotive about the uk due to circumstance.

Good luck with your move
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 9:46 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Then if you are being forced against your will to go to Canada why are you taking part in a discussion that you have no real feelings for and don't understand why people are in the position that they are in with the feelings that they have.

Thats not to say that you should stay out of certain dicsussions but you have to consider that you are in a different place than the people who are getting emotive about the uk due to circumstance.

Good luck with your move
Good grief! When I saw you had replied I was genuinely expecting a 'sorry I forgot people might be moving under different circumstances than me, I shall remember that in future' type post, not a post insinuating I'm not entitled to an opinion and should not bother posting!

What makes you think you are any more entitled to participate in a thread than me just because of different circumstances? This forum is for all expats, no matter what their situation, perhaps you would do well to remember that.

For you to state that I 'have no real feelings' for this thread is incredibly arrogant and rude of you - how on earth would you know? The thread was started by somebody giving her opinion of the UK and wondering why people were 'bashing' it all the time. I simply gave my own opinion and concurred with her.

I also 'have no real feelings' about things like spousal sponsorship, PR applications, etc, but that hasn't stopped me giving my own time over the past year to give advice to newbies about these matters and give them the relevant Wiki links, that's what a forum is there for.

And we are not 'being forced against our will' to go to Canada - don't be so bloomin' ridiculous. We are being transferred with work but obviously we have a choice as to whether to go or not, we've chosen to for a few years but intend to return to the UK once the office is up and running there.

I will continue to participate in this public forum, in whichever threads I see fit, and I'm sorry if that bothers you.

I wish you luck with your move but do ask that you remember that there are many different types of people on this forum, in different circumstances, and ALL of them are entitled to post on here, even if you don't agree with their opinion.
Old Nov 3rd 2008, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

kirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to allkirstya is a name known to all

christmasoompa;
ok got to answer this ...

We live in Luton (yes a complete and utter hell hole) we live in a cluster of houses converted to flats , and are the only native English speakers out of the 12 flats clustered here.. So far this year someone the OH worked with was killed in a road rage attack , someone 5 doors down the road was murdered in there own house and we witness on our doorstep 2 stabbings ... But this still doesnt stop me from loving England .. As someone else stated its like a devorce that went wrong , ok well for others its still there first love , you always leave a little bit of your heart with them...

We have lived all over the UK and got family all over the world and relise one place is pretty much the same as another , its what you make of it that matters .. Now this is when everyone goes what the hell you moving to canada for , well there are some things that UK doesnt offer, also for the great adventure and fun of it all, we are still young so whats with seeing a little more of the world and what it can offer us, and who knows we may love it in Canada more than England, but that doesnt mean i will slag it off and turn my back on it...

PS sorry for my spelling being a little thick today.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.