Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Work permit restrictions

Work permit restrictions

Old Aug 8th 2007, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future
Default Work permit restrictions

Hi everyone

I am new to this site so apologies if this question has already been asked.

We moved to Alberta last Wednesday with my husband's job. I have been given an open work permit. However there is a restriction on the permit that I need morinformation about.

"unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational instution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course".

I am CIMA qualified (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) and want to transfer accross to CMA (Certified Management Accountants). I believe that I may need to take the Canadian taxation exam as a requirement for entry to CMA.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I obtain authorisation so that I can stury so that I can convert my UK CIMA to the Canadian CMA?

Any help in this matter would be very much appreciated.

Regards
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:45 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work permit restrictions

Originally Posted by Alro
Hi everyone

We moved to Alberta last Wednesday with my husband's job. I have been given an open work permit. However there is a restriction on the permit that I need morinformation about.

"unless authorised, prohibited from attending any educational instution and taking any academic, professional or vocational training course".

I am CIMA qualified (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) and want to transfer accross to CMA (Certified Management Accountants). I believe that I may need to take the Canadian taxation exam as a requirement for entry to CMA.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I obtain authorisation so that I can stury so that I can convert my UK CIMA to the Canadian CMA?

Regards
I think the point is that its a work permit and not a study permit. You probably need to apply for a seperate study permit too - shouldn't be any problems in getting one, just another processing fee to pay. Then you would be completely safe. We had to apply for a study permit for our 6 year old when I moved here on a work permit so he could legally attend school
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

burton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond reputeburton bunch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone

Regards
Hi Hun

If you get a job in Management Accounting and that company wants you to requalify as a CMA then you are allowed to take the preparation courses and the exam to fulfil your contract.

My hubby is ACA and has to do a reciprocity exam to gain the CA designation and his WP also says this and he is allowed to sit the course and the exam.

I think that it means that if you come to Canada on a SOWP and want to go to college to study a course then the SOWP doesnt cover you and you would therefore be treated as an international student and pay HUGE fees.

Hope this helps

Gaynor
x
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

You can't have a work permit and a study permit at the same time.

By studying they mean a full time course, rather than just a part-time evening class type one for a profession. I did an evening class for work in the spring and got an email from my Work Permit provider (BUNAC) saying that it was ok to take the evening class.

I also took a screen shot of this webpage just in case http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-who.asp

One of thing. Where I took my evening class wanted to charge me internation student fees even though I am Canadian tax payer. Finally after speaking to a lot of useless people, someone finally said that all I have to do was fax them copies of my work permit, latest payslip and a tax form from last year if I had one, and that would put me at national fees.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

Londonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really niceLondonlady108 is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I think the point is that its a work permit and not a study permit. You probably need to apply for a seperate study permit too - shouldn't be any problems in getting one, just another processing fee to pay. Then you would be completely safe. We had to apply for a study permit for our 6 year old when I moved here on a work permit so he could legally attend school
Uho - we are here on a work permit and both my kids are in school - no-one mentioned a study permit - oh well !!! Now my son wants a SIN to work part-time - let's see how that goes. So far everything here has been plain sailing.,
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

debbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nicedebbyathome is just really nice

Originally Posted by Londonlady108
Uho - we are here on a work permit and both my kids are in school - no-one mentioned a study permit - oh well !!! Now my son wants a SIN to work part-time - let's see how that goes. So far everything here has been plain sailing.,
Good luck with the sin we have tried for our son and can not get one,we are here on a work permit too.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Alro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant futureAlro has a brilliant future

Dear all

Thank you for your replies - all very useful. I will look into the studying once life settles a little. Container coming on Friday, hopefully not too bashed about on the high seas.

Thanks again - nice to read all the experiences out there and knowing that you can relate to others on this forum.

Thanks
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

A number of things. Firstly, you most likely need to study Canadian tax and law. Secondly, you may find your permit allows you to do incidental study on courses for up to 6 months. Talk to an immigration lawyer.

Bear in mind you may have to pay the international student fee. Is your employer prepared to cover the cost.

Thirdly, check whether you are eligible to become a CMA without being a permanent resident of Canada. Talk to the provincial institute/ordre. Some provinces insist that you be a permanent resident even when you do the bridging study.

And fourthly, under the current agreement, you need 2 years managerial level work experience in Canada in order to become a Canadian CMA.

And finally, unless you have a university degree (any subject) that is assessed as equivalent to a bachelors degree in your province, you can't become a CMA.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:40 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonlady108
Uho - we are here on a work permit and both my kids are in school - no-one mentioned a study permit - oh well !!!
A minor who is accompanying a parent who has a legal right to reside in Canada should not need a study permit to attend school in Canada, as long as the child also has a legal right to reside in Canada. In the case of a parent who has a work permit, his/her child would be given the right to reside in Canada if the parent had declared the child as an accompanying dependent when the parent submitted his/her application for a work permit.

On this forum there have been reports of school jurisdictions that have demanded that children of work permit holders have study permits. In fact those school jurisdictions have held up children's enrollment in school until the children obtained study permits.

The results of my Internet searches have suggested that schools are wrong to do that. But what does my opinion mean while some child's school registration is being delayed?

Because of the anecdotal accounts I've seen on this forum, I now recommend that people applying for work permits also apply for study permits for their kids.

But your kids got into school without study permits, so you don't have to worry on that count. You're home and dry.

The original poster is an adult. That is a completely different matter.

Now my son wants a SIN to work part-time - let's see how that goes.
Your son will not be allowed to work, no ands, ifs or buts about it.

In theory he could apply for a work permit in his own right. But, to do that, he'd have to find a job for which the employer had not been able to find a willing and able Canadian resident.

It's one of the major disadvantages of being in Canada on a work permit. We experienced that when our kids were teenagers and we were in an equivalent situation in the USA.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi

Judy is absolutely right about. Both our children, 17 and 6 did not need study permits as under my work permit they are allowed to attend elementary and high school.....this is stamped in their passports. I get really annoyed when I read of people who have been told by CIC that their children need a study permit.....they don't!

Also my 17 year old daughter is not permitted to work in canada at all....again this is stamped in her passport. I personally think it is unfair, but those are the rules. She is desperate to work but she will have to wait until our PR comes through.

Cheers

Pete
Old Aug 10th 2007, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pete,

Maybe this enforced reliance on your wallet, will mean that once your daughter can work, it will seem like a priviledge, and she'll work hard and be grateful for a job for the rest of her life, and give you a very comfortable retirement!!!

Maybe it could be a tactic tried on the lazy lay-about scallies in the UK!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

pete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant futurepete66 has a brilliant future

Hi Live to Ski

She would just love to work here......and she would indeed treat it as a priviledge. She was asked if she wanted a job the other day.....but had to explain the situation, which was a shame.

Sadly I think a lot of teenagers in the UK are beyond the point of caring whether they work or not.....and that will extend into adult hood. Who wants to work nowadays when they know that the unemployment office is the local ATM!!!!
Regards

Pete