Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Does anyone find any real cons to life in Canada? Advice for returning to UK?

Does anyone find any real cons to life in Canada? Advice for returning to UK?

Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone find any real cons to life in Canada? Advice for returning to UK?

There's definitely no harm in coming over and working a few years in your chosen industry to see if you like it here. London really should be taken with a pinch of salt (it's a fun place, but prices most normal people out of buying and renting can eat a sizeable chunk of your paycheck). There is also fairly tough competition for good graduate jobs especially in competitive areas such as media or advertising. The UK does enable easy travel around Europe and North Africa, which is something I'm going to miss.

I think people have a degree of artificiality the world over? Bear in mind, Brits often feel uncomfortable talking to strangers or downright suspicious of them, which is why most people won't strike up a conversation with someone here - unless you're in the pub of course!

I also think regardless of long-term future, the short-term impact of Brexit is going to be an economic slowdown. The last Great Recession 08/09 (which Canada managed to miss) was an awfully depressing time to graduate from University and live in the UK... you couldn't get away from the doom and gloom. Brexit will put the UK through the wringer and there will be decades of fallout from that - some of it we probably can't even anticipate or imagine. As others have echoed, I do think Canada's future(both immediate and long-term) is likely to be rosier than Britain's...

Last edited by Verdant; Nov 16th 2017 at 4:29 pm.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:18 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Does anyone find any real cons to life in Canada? Advice for returning to UK?

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid

Depends where you're studying? Oxford beats UoS. McGill beats Leicester.

Different universities and areas are going to have different strengths - eg if you want to study agriculture, UoS or UoM might be much better than if you want high energy physics. (Randomly picked - this might be when I learn they're actually world leaders in that regard? )
Ironically the only synchrotron research facility in Canada is in Saskatoon.

Advice for you: Decide what you want. Go for it. This sort of thing is pretty easy in your 20s, doable in your 30s, and gets harder later on.
I agree with an earlier endorsement of that observation. I first left the UK when I was 27, but more relevantly, my elder son, born in the US but moved with us on our first period in Canada when he was still a baby, then moved with us to Germany between the ages of 4 & 12. We then returned to Canada but we left again on our retirement when he was 34.

He's now 36 and living in Berlin. Many of the OP's remarks would be a large part of the explanation as to why.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
He's now 36 and living in Berlin. Many of the OP's remarks would be a large part of the explanation as to why.
Similarly, my eldest daughter, who was born here, emigrated to the UK while in her twenties. She now lives in Bangui and plans to move on to Kabul. I think it fair to say that she's more worldly now than she would have been had she stayed in her pretty little house on the Danforth.

The OP has to do it, after it is a great big world, with lots of places to run to. It'd be a shame not to see some of it.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 4:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Similarly, my eldest daughter, who was born here, emigrated to the UK while in her twenties. She now lives in Bangui and plans to move on to Kabul. I think it fair to say that she's more worldly now than she would have been had she stayed in her pretty little house on the Danforth.

The OP has to do it, after it is a great big world, with lots of places to run to. It'd be a shame not to see some of it.
Agreed. But I would point out that Bangui and Kabul are somewhat braver choices than Berlin.

Kudos to your daughter.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Agreed. But I would point out that Bangui and Kabul are somewhat braver choices than Berlin.

Kudos to your daughter.
She has a different view of things. After several months in Iraq she said it was ok but as a woman it was limiting, she couldn't go into bars on her own. I was surprised that there are bars in Iraq from which to feel excluded.

Knowledge of the world, it's what you get if you go and see it.
Old Nov 16th 2017, 5:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
But never disparage Canada, it's much better than you think!
According to this data, a lot of brits would seriously consider Canada

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...%2072px-01.png Egypt not so much
Old Nov 17th 2017, 11:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
According to this data, a lot of brits would seriously consider Canada

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.ne...%2072px-01.png Egypt not so much
Am I reading that right, Australia doesn't figure ?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:01 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Am I reading that right, Australia doesn't figure ?
Yeah not buying that report at all. It's laughable.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Yeah not buying that report at all. It's laughable.
Breaking News. 10 people in the UK were asked if they would seriously consider going to the gym after Christmas. 100% agreed making the UK the fittest nation worldwide............
Old Nov 17th 2017, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

My list of Cons about Canada

1. Too far from Old Trafford
2. You can't get Hollands Steak Puddings or selection of pies
3. I miss paying exorbitant prices at Motorway service stations like Watford Gap.
4. Cant walk along Blackpool prom eating steak pudding and chips and the pleasure beach
5. Price of cheese.
6. A weekend in Regina is not the same as one in Berlin.

Im sure there are hundreds more but we all choose to move wherever for a variety of reasons to whatever countries. If the UK is so bloody great then why are people moving to other countries

A country is what you make it and what it has to offer. I will give up cheap airfares over sitting in 10 mile tailbacks on the M1, M6 or most other motorways.
Your views will change almost every decade about what you want and even where you want to be.
Many Brits want to live in the USA but cant as Immigration to the USA is more stricter than Canada so have less options.

Its a what if world. You either do it or you don't or drive yourself crazy by what if I had moved to x country would I be better off or worse?
Old Nov 17th 2017, 1:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Knowledge of the world, it's what you get if you go and see it.
What a perfect sentence.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Lorno Malvo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Moses2013
I think people need to stop comparing countries. At the end of the day the neighbouring village can be completely different and it just depends what you personally can get out of a location. People are people and the friendly cashier will probably be Chinese anyway, be it Vancouver or London. I recently went to Carlingford (Northern Ireland) and everything was different than Reading, just like the Isle of Man is different than Jersey. Even in Canada your friendly doctor is probably from India, so a bit like the UK LOL.
Carlingford is in the Republic, not Northern Ireland.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute

The "data" presented in the link above doesn't include the countries greyed out such as Australia. Those countries weren't given to the participates as options. A cursory glance at the key would have suggested as such. Surveys or opinions of any sort really don't mean much in grand scheme of things.

You have to determine what's important to you OP and roll with that.
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorno Malvo
Carlingford is in the Republic, not Northern Ireland.
Could have been talking about the Lough though
Carlingford Lough is a glacial fjord or sea inlet that forms part of the border between Northern Ireland to the north and the Republic of Ireland to the south. On its northern shore is County Down and on its southern shore is County Louth
Old Nov 17th 2017, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Could have been talking about the Lough though
Carlingford Lough is a glacial fjord or sea inlet that forms part of the border between Northern Ireland to the north and the Republic of Ireland to the south. On its northern shore is County Down and on its southern shore is County Louth
Thanks, forgot the Lough:-) Carlingford & Cooley Peninsula | Official Destination Website

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.