Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Old Nov 14th 2017, 3:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Documentation Required to import a car from the UK

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK
Thanks DBD33,
Sounds like I might need to keep looking for that receipt
Good luck with getting it registered, keep us posted on how you get on!

I'm hoping to import a 1966 VW Type3 Squareback
What toy did you get?
Plates obtained with a 10 day sticker. This is to allow time to obtain a safety certificate which is required for the proper sticker. There was Ontario tax to pay on the Federal tax, otherwise no bother.

I suppose with a non-running car you`d just pay the Federal tax at importation and not register the vehicle until it could pass a safety. I suggest checking to see if there`s a requirement to register a vehicle within a certain date of importation.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Sparky-UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Austin-Healey 100/6, see attached.

I would think that you'd only need the receipt to prove that you've owned the car long enough for it to be exempt from import duties, maybe you can do that with the date on the V5.

Is the VW LHD?
Oh that's very nice, rustproof it to death and enjoy!

The VW is RHD, and a long way from being any where near the condition of your gorgeous Healey.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

Plates obtained with a 10 day sticker. This is to allow time to obtain a safety certificate which is required for the proper sticker. There was Ontario tax to pay on the Federal tax, otherwise no bother.

I suppose with a non-running car you`d just pay the Federal tax at importation and not register the vehicle until it could pass a safety. I suggest checking to see if there`s a requirement to register a vehicle within a certain date of importation.
many thanks for the tip I'll try and find out about a registration time limit.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 9:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparky-UK
Oh that's very nice, rustproof it to death and enjoy!

The VW is RHD, and a long way from being any where near the condition of your gorgeous Healey.
Thanks.

Some more things I have discovered;

- older cars in Ontario can have "historic" plates. The annual fee for a sticker is $18, as opposed to a couple of hundred for an ordinary plate, so you'll want those.

- insurance for older cars is astonishingly cheap. The premium for the Healey is <$700/year. Until recently the premium for the ordinary cars was $600/month.

Now that I know old car insurance is cheap the RHD concern goes away. Modern RHD cars are expensive to insure (which has to do with many of them being JDM models that appeal to high risk market segments) but I doubt that will be an issue with a "classic" policy.
Old Nov 18th 2017, 9:57 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, I can't remember what receipts and things I had when I imported a Morgan 8 years or so ago. The car had belonged to my father (who was at that point still around, though incapacitated to a point of not being able to drive) so he signed a letter and got it witnessed by a "local government official" - his neighbour who happened to be that year's chair of the Parish Council or something - to say that he was passing the car on to me at zero cost. I also had the original dealer invoice from 1985 in a whole heap of other bills, but I don't remember showing that to anybody.
Old Jan 8th 2018, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

Thanks.

Some more things I have discovered;

- older cars in Ontario can have "historic" plates. The annual fee for a sticker is $18, as opposed to a couple of hundred for an ordinary plate, so you'll want those.

- insurance for older cars is astonishingly cheap. The premium for the Healey is <$700/year. Until recently the premium for the ordinary cars was $600/month.

Now that I know old car insurance is cheap the RHD concern goes away. Modern RHD cars are expensive to insure (which has to do with many of them being JDM models that appeal to high risk market segments) but I doubt that will be an issue with a "classic" policy.
Thanks for that info, that's good to know. Sorry for the delay in reply been up to my eyeballs with work and this migration project, shipping date coming up soon still tons to do!