Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do we chase up resume emails?

Do we chase up resume emails?

Old May 20th 2008, 1:30 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice
Default Do we chase up resume emails?

Hi there

I sent off cover letters and resumes for OH via email 2 weeks ago. Thankfully we have had one positive reply from a company that wants to see him when we go to NS on a recce in October.

The thing is, we haven't heard anything else apart from one or two emails acknowledging our email. Do I chase them up again or does it look alittle desperate? Should we wait until nearer our travel date?

Any advice greatly appreciated
Old May 20th 2008, 1:56 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we chase up resume emails?

Good to hear that you had a positive reply from one we did the same, cold called with an e-mail then we were lucky to get an interview in London. (cutting a long story short)

There was a lot of companies that didn't reply, though. It has been mentioned before but just imagine how many e-mails these companies receive in a day.

What industry are you applying for if you don't mind me asking.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:05 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I would wait a while.
We sent ours of in january for our recci april and did follow ups in march and ofcourse hammered them again whilst we was on recci

We got a email from one of them a week before we set off to tell us to ring them whilst we was there.
Will you have internet and use of a phone whilst there
if you dont have the cell, then a quick nip to rogers will get you a sim for the cell, but they do charge for incoming and out going calls.

gill
Old May 20th 2008, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice

Hi Cassie

OH is a carpenter.

Gill
Not sure about internet, only booked flights so far. Deciding whether to hire RV or rent a property.
Old May 20th 2008, 2:13 pm

Cassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond reputeCassie 10000 has a reputation beyond repute

bluemoon1
Hi Cassie

OH is a carpenter.

Oh right, I was just going to suggest applying on the companies websites but that won't help will it
Old May 20th 2008, 2:26 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Your husband should phone the companies to which he has e-mailed his resume. I recommend doing this a week after they could have been expected to receive the resume. In the case of conventional mail, this would be two weeks after the resume was posted. In the case of e-mail, it would be one week after the resume was sent.

But he also could phone later. The point is to phone.

You're at an advantage because you can phone when it's night time in the UK and people are still at work in Canada.

Your husband should ask the people with whom he speaks what qualifications and experience they're looking for.

If they don't have vacancies, he should ask them for names of other companies that might need his services (and, if possible, names of people at those other companies).

Then, when he sends his resume to those other companies, he can say, "Joe Blogs from XYZ Construction suggested I contact you." This will help a lot.

If you have not already done so, I strongly recommend that you read the articles in the Job Hunting section of the Wiki. If you have read them, I recommend that you read them again.

Hope that helps.
x
Old May 20th 2008, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Judy, I'll get him on the case!