Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Do not want to Deposit US Driving Licence but need Canada Driving licence

Do not want to Deposit US Driving Licence but need Canada Driving licence

Old May 23rd 2001, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

tarsem is an unknown quantity at this point

One of my friend who is indian Citizen was working on H1B visa in US, He got his Canada PR and is landing in Toronto in first week of July he has USA Driving licence of more than 4 years, some one has told him that to get Canada Driving licence he has to GIVE his USA Driving licence to Canada MVS department and they will give him New Canada licence. But why to deposit this USA licence? When he got USA driving licence his Indian driving licence was not deposited in USA , he still has indian driving licence. Some one told him that if USA licence is of more than 2 years no need to give any road test in Canada, But my fiend wants to keep the USA licence with him, is there No alternative, Like He can give a letter from USA MVS that he had Driving licence for 4 years and is Valid and give a copy of that letter. Will this kind of letter not help him to get Canada driving licence? or it is Must for him to surrender his USA licence!!!
thanks in advance for help
Old May 23rd 2001, 3:24 pm
Serguei Patchkovskii

to deposit this USA licence? When he got USA driving licence his Indian
    >

.... which means that he is already violating Canadian laws, which prohibit anyone
from possessing more than one valid vehicle operator's licence. Now he wants to go
one step further, and get THREE valid driver's licences.

/Serge.P

---
Home page: http://www.cobalt.chem.ucalgary.ca/ps/

Old May 23rd 2001, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

USA Motor Vehicle Service do not Depost Indian licence, I got USA licence 6 years back and Idian Driving licence is with me. They never asked me to deposit the Indian licence. All the H1B Employees who are from India have to take Written+Vision +Road test to take USA Driving licence ,they do not take away Indian licence and it is no Violation, in USA you can not Drive with Indian Driving licence But YES with International Driving licence/Permit I think you can only drive up to 60 days.In If some one goes back to India he has to Drive with Indian Licence in India, USA or Canada driving Licences are not ACCEPETED in INDIA.
My Friend is NOT voilating any Canadian LAWS he has yet not LANDED. It was just a question to know some information about Canadian Licence.
Old May 24th 2001, 1:08 am
David R. Tucker

>

That's true, at least for most states (not all).

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

That's not true in most states. States give privileges based on the underlying
license. An IDP is just a translation of your license into English (and many other
languages); most states don't require it if your license is already in English and
some don't require it at all (although they recommend it).

>

In Ontario, that's true for new residents.

>
    >

I'm willing to be that's not true, at least for the first year, although you might
need an international driver's permit, too. The reason is India signed a treaty
saying it would honor such licenses (the 1949 Road Traffic Convention).

>
    >

That's certainly true. But all of this is sort of beside the point.

Your friend has 60 days from landing in Ontario to get an Ontario license (but must
register any vehicle within 30 days). After 60 days, your friend cannot drive in
Ontario with an out-of-province license. To get an Ontario license with the least
hassle, you have to get a copy of your driving record from your current state or
province and submit it with your US or Canadian license. If you've been driving more
than 2 years in the US or Canada (and can prove it) you should get a full Ontario
license; otherwise, you're going to be subject to road tests and their stringent
graduated licensing system. At least, that's how I understand it.

For more authoritative information, see:
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dan...er/outprov.htm

and related links. Your friend should probably invest in a copy of the driver's
manual, which Ontario doesn't distribute for free on the web.

North American jurisdictions generally don't allow you to have a license if you also
have another license from another NA jurisdiction, although there are exceptions. The
reason is that people used to pick and choose which license to put their speeding
tickets on to keep their insurance costs fraudulently low. Insurance companies and
their many well-paid lobbyists take a dim view of that, as do provincially-run
insurance ministries.. At least one state will confiscate any other driver's license
from any country; if you object, they put your old license in a file and give it back
only when you surrender your US license.

On the other hand, some states will give you back your license if another state
confiscates it if you can show you are still required to have a license from your
old state.

But your friend shouldn't need a US driver's license if he maintains Canadian
residence and, if he *really* needs US ID (he shouldn't), he can almost certainly
apply for a state "non-driver ID". But that, too, depends on rules of the state
in question.

Links to most states' (but not provinces') moter vehicle departments can be found at
http://www.driverslicense.com/USA/locations.htm. Note that I'm not affiliate with the
site, and no endorsement is made of anything sold or advertised on that site.

--
David R. Tucker [email protected]

"I may be wrong, but I'm not Clearly Erroneous."

- Judge Hillman

Old May 24th 2001, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

Dear David,
Thank you very much for the information.
Best Regards
Tarsem
Old May 25th 2001, 4:59 pm
nick

Hey, why not surrender your US license then return to US and apply for replacement
saying you lost the old one?

Old May 26th 2001, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

inders99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nick,
I feel if you surrunder USA licence to get Canada Licence,You can not get USA licence by telling a LIE, You have to Report it to Police department in US that one has lost the US licence and then you have to take the copy of Police report to MVS in USA. But if you have surrender your USA licence to get Canada Licence and report that one has LOST the driver licence then it will be a FRAUD.
Old May 26th 2001, 1:09 pm
Denna

If you surrender your US licence, they return it to the DMV in the state it was
issued from and it is noted on your record there that it was returned from Canada. So
if you tell them you lost it and you claim on the form that you have never held a
licence in another state or country (it's a question that is on the application form
for a replacement DL) you would be committing perjury AND they would question it
since it's right there in front of them.

(I turned in my Calif. licence last year.....just recently obtained a printout of
my driving record from the Calif. DMV and it's listed on there...License returned
by Alberta)

Denna

>
    >

Old May 28th 2001, 10:02 pm
Kay Carbe

Why don't people just do the right and legal thing? I believe you don't do anything
you wouldn't want everyone in the world to know about!

>
it
    >
    >
that
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

[usenetquote2]> > Hey, why not surrender your US license then return to US and apply for[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > replacement saying you lost the old one? [/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]

Old May 30th 2001, 12:08 am
nick

Er, my remark was intended to be purely humourous. I do not advocate breaking laws.
But, whats the bigger moral problem, having a mafia-type guy like George W Bush who
distorted the election by having his brother Governor Jeb prevent blacks from voting
in Florida and then acted like he won the election, or, people lying to the driver
licensing agency? There are big frauds, and small frauds! No offence meant, but I'm a
little surprised by your seemingly moralistic response to my flippant remark. On the
other hand, it is important that we all follow the law. If we do, we might have just
slight more chance that our leaders and politicians stop having the utter disrespect
for it that they display now.. So in conclusion, please, DON'T TAKE MY PREVIOUS POST
SERIOUSLY. Yes, DON'T REALLY PRETEND YOU LOST YOUR OLD US LICENCE.

OK?

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

>

Old Jun 4th 2001, 12:29 am
wzombie

In Ontario it is an offence to carry more than one driving licence while operating a
motor vehicle, the exception being an International Driver's Licence.