Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:52 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Originally Posted by Porthcawl
Couldn't resist this, what else do you expect from this francophone minority who have been allowed to more or less take over the country. Well you only have yourselves to blame for not making enough noise. That's what you get from becoming laid back Canadians. I'm talking about sticking up for yourselves
what about your rights?
Why shouldn't they have to learn French if they're emigrating to a French speaking place? Give your head a shake. My friend in Vancouver is mad at the Sikhs because (he says) many of them don't allow their children to learn any English until they have to go to school (trying to keep them grounded in their own culture I suppose) then it costs the system a fortune to put them through English language classes before they can get an education. In Quebec I suppose they don't put any emphasis on English education for immigrants but it can't be that hard to find an ESL course there, can it?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 12:41 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caretaker
Why shouldn't they have to learn French if they're emigrating to a French speaking place? Give your head a shake. My friend in Vancouver is mad at the Sikhs because (he says) many of them don't allow their children to learn any English until they have to go to school (trying to keep them grounded in their own culture I suppose) then it costs the system a fortune to put them through English language classes before they can get an education. In Quebec I suppose they don't put any emphasis on English education for immigrants but it can't be that hard to find an ESL course there, can it?
You know what you can do with your cat and dust buster don't you?
When I came to Canada first there was no french we also had miles and gallons, then crept in the km's and the litres well if you told me to drive 10km I wouldn't have a clue how far that was we were not taught the metric system in the schools back home and I am damned if I am going to learn it! I was told I hadn't tried to adapt, well, never forget where your from is what I say. I don't see anything wrong in learning languages in school I speak two myself fluently (Italian and Spanish) but to eat and breath it and have it pushed down ones throat is ludicrous.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:18 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
I can see it being shameful. Sad/depressng not so sure, although perhaps just a figure of speech. I don't think we should be depressed about racist views I think we should be annoyed or angry about them.
Its not my country, culture or issue and I don't care enough to get angry but people are people and living here the constant cacophony of bigotry and resentment towards aboriginal people just seems to you make shake your head.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:27 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

If you aren't in Quebec nobody's shoving French down your throat. You buy Cornflakes for the cereal not the bilingual offers on the back; if it offends you don't read it. Quebecers were guaranteed the right to retain their language and religon in the BNA Act and that's the way it is. Is Bill 101 silly? Of course it is, but it doesn't affect me and it doesn't affect you (unless you live there). Every car comes with a miles/km conversion chart built right into the dashboard these days so you'll be ok with a little study. If you were here pre 1967 (I think that's when we had metrification) and haven't learned any of it by now you should just be thankfull for lasting this long.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:42 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians call Wimbledon "Wimbleton"
Old Jul 5th 2014, 1:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
Yes, I find that irritating. Being abroad means having a hard life.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:35 pm

Porthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud ofPorthcawl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caretaker
If you aren't in Quebec nobody's shoving French down your throat. You buy Cornflakes for the cereal not the bilingual offers on the back; if it offends you don't read it. Quebecers were guaranteed the right to retain their language and religon in the BNA Act and that's the way it is. Is Bill 101 silly? Of course it is, but it doesn't affect me and it doesn't affect you (unless you live there). Every car comes with a miles/km conversion chart built right into the dashboard these days so you'll be ok with a little study. If you were here pre 1967 (I think that's when we had metrification) and haven't learned any of it by now you should just be thankfull for lasting this long.
On the back? all I do when I go shopping is turn around packets and tins because the confounded french is showing. I understood the french were allowed to keep their Religion, but if they wanted to stay in Canada they had to speak English. Yes, the speedo on the car is in miles & km and that's it nothing about translating km to miles for distance unless it's on newer cars but it certainly not on my 2001 Ford Taurus but then again it's probably somewhat antiquated like me! Lasted this long you say "Where there's a will there's a way"
Old Jul 5th 2014, 2:42 pm

Oh sweetie the list is endless. How about St. Patty's Day! There's not enough room to mention everything, I guess you will just have to learn to assimilate! It's hilarious and this is coming from one who doesn't know a proper noun from and adjective lol

Last edited by Porthcawl; Jul 5th 2014 at 2:43 pm. Reason: addition
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:39 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Couldn't resist this, what else do you expect from this francophone minority who have been allowed to more or less take over the country. Well you only have yourselves to blame for not making enough noise. That's what you get from becoming laid back Canadians. I'm talking about sticking up for yourselves
what about your rights?
UKIP supporter by any chance?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 7:43 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Going on the clues so far, I'd say that our new friend is Welsh, female, likes a drop of cider of a morning, and is pretty damned tasty with her fists.

Welcome!
Well Hello! so far, two rights and two wrongs and a possible third right.That being pretty tasty, but not with my fists my mouth can cut much deeper, and as regards to cider, I'm a top shelf person myself. Thanks for the welcome.
Nice one!
Old Jul 5th 2014, 7:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
UKIP supporter by any chance?
Plaid Cymru
Old Jul 6th 2014, 1:58 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes, I find that irritating. Being abroad means having a hard life.
It's enough to make one pack up and go to another country, but I am strong willed, and where there's a will there's a way
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

You know what you can do with your cat and dust buster don't you?
When I came to Canada first there was no french we also had miles and gallons, then crept in the km's and the litres well if you told me to drive 10km I wouldn't have a clue how far that was we were not taught the metric system in the schools back home and I am damned if I am going to learn it! I was told I hadn't tried to adapt, well, never forget where your from is what I say. I don't see anything wrong in learning languages in school I speak two myself fluently (Italian and Spanish) but to eat and breath it and have it pushed down ones throat is ludicrous.
When, and why, exactly did you come to Canada. The fact that we have 2 official languages is one of the things that makes this country wonderful and enhances the place.

By 'creeping in the km's and litres' I assume you mean pre mid 1970's which is almost 40 years ago.

FYI the metric system is pretty well the only system taught 'back home' and math has been done in SI units only since 1988.

What is the basis behind your statement that you were not taught the metric system back home and you're not going to learn it now. Was your acceptance of Canadian standards somehow frozen in time and grandfathered to what you learnt in school 'back home'.

If you speak italian and spanish fluently I would have thought that the metric system would have been fairly easy to comprehend.

I can't decide if you are a troll, or Billy Britain (Viz) brought to life .
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:41 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

On the back? all I do when I go shopping is turn around packets and tins because the confounded french is showing. I understood the french were allowed to keep their Religion, but if they wanted to stay in Canada they had to speak English. Yes, the speedo on the car is in miles & km and that's it nothing about translating km to miles for distance unless it's on newer cars but it certainly not on my 2001 Ford Taurus but then again it's probably somewhat antiquated like me! Lasted this long you say "Where there's a will there's a way"
Are you for real?
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:44 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

They do? Never noticed but then I haven't heard anyone discussing Wimbledon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.