Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Differences between Canadian and British people

Differences between Canadian and British people

Old Apr 27th 2014, 8:37 am
Forum Regular

Harrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of lightHarrisonasa is a glorious beacon of light
Default Differences between Canadian and British people

So I am after your opinions of the differences between the 2 cultures.

As an example - when I was living in Tenerife I would say that the Canarians are MASSIVELY laid back in comparison to the Brits. Also more friendly (on a whole). However they are a little "less with the times" which in some instances can appear backwards or old fashioned.

So how do you perceive the Canadians?

Thanks
Old Apr 27th 2014, 11:52 am
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between Canadian and British people

Most Canadians have trouble with the British dry, sarcastic sense of humour. It's a long battle, but I'm training them one by one.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
Most Canadians have trouble with the British dry, sarcastic sense of humour. It's a long battle, but I'm training them one by one.
That's because sarcastic comments are often interpreted as insults.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:15 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I'd read that before, but don't think it's true. I think with all places if you meet friends that are on the same wavelength they'll get it. We certainly have.

We've met some lovely people, not at all old fashioned and unworldly. I do on the whole think that people seem nicer here, casual acquaintances are very pleasant in a way that I haven't experienced before. To be fair it might be because we've come to a small town, it's a close community.

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 27th 2014 at 1:18 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

kswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond reputekswoosh has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians are generally more friendly and far less aggressive.

I always use football/soccer as a good example. The only time I ever had an issue playing football, with people taking things too far, was from Irish/British players. Being a Brit myself, I obviously would have contributed to the situation somewhat I'm sure!

We played in a mixed sex 7-a-side tournament in Vancouver; a good day of sun, soccer, beer and barbeque food. Now if you had that in England, everyone would get trollied, and go round kicking the living daylights out of each other. I'm not even sure you could successfully have a mixed sex tournament in England, even without introducing the alcohol.

I can go on a night out without having to worry about someone picking a fight, and can happily walk home after a night out without worrying, too. I find generally they are a lot more placid and easy going.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:11 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Without wishing to generalize or cause offence, Canadians are slow-witted, docile and conformist. They are the cud-chewers, if you like, of the human race.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

scootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond reputescootb has a reputation beyond repute

Some of the Canadians at my work are so laid back they would be sleeping if they worked any slower!
Generally I have found them to be much friendlier,we have some GREAT Canadian friends that have gone well out of their way to make us feel welcome,something that we just never experienced back in the UK ever.
I have friends give me brand new tool cabinets with tools,brand new chest freezer,one friend even restored a Lee Enfield rifle to like new factory condition and gave me it as a welcome to Canada gift(yes I have my PAL).
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They spell certain words differently but other than that not much different to a Brit apart from chewing cud.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Without wishing to generalize or cause offence, Canadians are slow-witted, docile and conformist. They are the cud-chewers, if you like, of the human race.
Agreed, a bit like Tim with an accent....

Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:27 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Canadians say British people can be a little weird.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Yes I see that in some cases, however I seem to have befriended a bunch of Canadians that have very British traits. Particualry the dry insulting sarcastic humour, one of them being the bar tender at my local pub....I pop in there for a pint just for his humour and to exchange insults!

I also think that the more the average Canadian is exposed to the British sense of humour they start to pick it up and I think many Brits seem to mellow, so we end up meeting somewhere in the middle.

If im honest I don't miss the really harsh insulting "humour" I used to part of in the UK, it was funny at times, but could get a bit tiring too if you wernt in the mood for it, or feeling a little over sensitive!
Old Apr 27th 2014, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kswoosh
Canadians are generally more friendly and far less aggressive.

I always use football/soccer as a good example. The only time I ever had an issue playing football, with people taking things too far, was from Irish/British players. Being a Brit myself, I obviously would have contributed to the situation somewhat I'm sure!

We played in a mixed sex 7-a-side tournament in Vancouver; a good day of sun, soccer, beer and barbeque food. Now if you had that in England, everyone would get trollied, and go round kicking the living daylights out of each other. I'm not even sure you could successfully have a mixed sex tournament in England, even without introducing the alcohol.

I can go on a night out without having to worry about someone picking a fight, and can happily walk home after a night out without worrying, too. I find generally they are a lot more placid and easy going.

Try playing hockey...they're arseholes on a rink
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
Try playing hockey...they're arseholes on a rink
+1 If it wasn't so disturbing it would be funny. Parents screaming at each other (and not always those from opposing teams), parents screaming at players and refs, I have seen a 6 year old raise his middle finger at the opposing teams parents because he was upset that the other team scored. So anyone who thinks that Canadians are super polite, or unemotional should take a trip to the local rink and watch a game or two.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 5:56 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Passive aggressiveness seems to be the most common cultural trait.
Old Apr 27th 2014, 6:57 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Passive aggressiveness seems to be the most common cultural trait.
Followed by a general lack of self awareness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.