Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:10 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your children manage the transition okay?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Blimey, just between Knowle and Southmead in Bristol there are 'problems' with someone from the dark side being frozen out if they try to settle.
Never been to Bristol, actually. I guess there must be pockets of "you're not one of us" across the UK.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:13 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
A lot can depend on the parents decisions.
1. Will you be based in one place when you move? e.g. Renting first, then buying later
2. How integrated will you get with the local community? If you end up living in the sticks, it would be hard to make new friends quickly.
3. Focusing on the things you miss, rather than focus on the new things you can discover.
4. Spending more time communicating with people back home, than networking in your new community.

At the end of the day, it is up to you as a parent to make the transition as smooth as possible. If you worry too much, the kids will notice. Go with an open mind and enjoy the adventure. In a few months time you will look back and wonder what was I worrying about.

Positive thoughts make positive things
These are good points. Although it does seem to depend on the individual personalities of the children too. You hear stories of families with 2-3 kids, and each kid has a different readiness to adapt. The rule of thumb seems to be the, the younger the easier.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
What exactly is the difference between Sunderland and Newcastle? I know there's a bit of a rivalry between the two, but isn't it all Geordie anyway?
Haha unfortunately not. Call someone from Sunderland a Geordie and you’ll be in a lot of trouble.
As I got older I moved to “nicer” parts of Newcastle/Tyneside where by people weren’t hugely bothered by that sort of thing. So much so that I thought it had died a death and people actually weren’t so narrow minded.
However, my brother lives in a very questionable part of Tyneside still and his childhood friend came to visit him wearing a Sunderland football shirt- he didn’t make it down the street without being mugged and having his car broken into- so unfortunately it still very much exists.- and this was 2 weeks ago.
It astounds me but- moving from Sunderland to Newcastle I couldn’t in a million years tell my peers where I was actually from literally due to fear of the reaction.
But- like I say, kids adapt. And are tougher than people give them credit for! :-)
Though fortunately I think it’s a bit of the opposite here and you become quite the novelty being British! Haha
Old Mar 28th 2018, 7:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

The younger the better. Ours were moved around when they were really young and the oldest was only 4 when we made our last move. 8 and 10 is still quite young but there's a huge difference between 4 and 8/10. Normally I would say that that you will likely face challenges that I didn't. However, the fact that they are already familiar with Ontario and have grandparents and cousins that they already know means they'll probably take to the move like ducks to water.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Ours were 9 and 5 when we came, as others have said the younger the better and I had no concerns at all about the 5 year old. I was a bit anxious about the older one but he settled in straight away and the lifestyle here really suited him. I agree with the comment earlier in the thread about the children picking up on the parent's mood. If you act like its no big deal they will likely see it the same way.
Old Mar 30th 2018, 2:56 am
Just Joined

Warwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond reputeWarwickshireboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm sure there's truth in this. But then there are posters here whose kids haven't settled, some returning to the UK as soon as they could.
I would be one of those kids.

I moved here when I was almost six, and have never felt at home or adjusted in Canada. I am autistic, which definitely plays a part in this. The main thing I would say is if you're a community of extended family/friends behind make sure you establish a community in Canada. My parents are very reserved people, and content with each others company. A naturally social child probably would have been fine, but as I am awkward and autistic, I couldn't find a community by myslef. This lead me to be very isolated growing up and sorely miss my extended family, where I had a place and was "one of them". I provide the details so to say that I am a unique case. A combination of factors have lead me not to settle well, and it's really nothing to do with Canada and everything to do with being isolated.
Old Mar 31st 2018, 11:48 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here when my son was 11 and had just finished Primary school and was going into grade 6. The first year was a bit of a tough and unhappy time, we had discussed it so he was expecting a big change... The school curriculum here wasn't at all challenging and he was bored. There's not much of a shifting population here either so most of the kids had known each other since the year dot.

We tried Basketball and gymnastics at first, but again, the kids had known each other forever and weren't about to welcome an implant. Then after six months he hit the magic 12 and was able to join Air Cadets, which he loved from the word go, a mix of boys and girls from different schools and therefore lots of chance to make friends. His confidence grew and, it hasn't been without the odd hiccup, but generally (he's in 11th grade now) he is happy, confident and doing his best, which is all I can ask. He still has a British accent...bizzare because he's never lived in Britan! He still identifies himself as European and Canadian.

I really would advise getting kids into clubs that they are interested in, be it Boy Scouts, the local theatre group, roadrunners, any of the Cadets - Air, Sea or Army -whatever, the more chances they have to mix with people who are not just sitting in their class the more chances they will have to make friends they have something in common with.

It isn't instant, and you can't make it OK, but you can certainly smooth the way and listen to their fears.

Very, very best of luck
Old Apr 7th 2018, 1:54 am
Just Joined

slevers is an unknown quantity at this point

Anya, my kids were young when they moved over but I know know a few families with children who moved closer you your childrens' ages. The accent and sounding different is hard, some words are different (eg eraser for rubber). A lot depends on the child's personality and adaptability. I think you are moving from the UK, expect the kids to be unchallenged, although this massively ramps up I believe from age 12. If they have current interests ( martial arts, dance, gym, football) try an maintain it because it's easier to be a big fish in a little pond. But also your friend group is likely to be small to start so try and do things like camping, skating, skiing whatever interests you, together.. they need to see theirfamiliy adapting and going through it together! Good luck it can be so hard, a real rollercoaster ..
Old Apr 16th 2018, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to say thank you to all who have posted in response to my question. I've been reading all of these as you've posted they are all really helpful. The big things I take away from these messages are keep positive and help the kids get involved in community groups or invite school friends over to the house to help them make new friends and feel settled. Great advice. Thank you very much to all of you. Very much appreciated!