Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Did your children manage the transition okay?

When we came here 7 years ago, one child in high school, one in public school, the first thing we noticed was the playing and observance of Oh Canada every morning before class. So it may be worth brushing up on the words to fit in more quickly - that’s a general observation as you hear it far more than we were used to the national anthem back home.
At that time, we found school access more relaxed than we were used to in the UK but that has certainly changed at public school level anyway. It’s still easy to walk into local high schools though.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Young children are like sponges, adapting to everything life throws at them whether in the UK or Canada. Culture shock isn't an issue, wherever they end up quickly becomes the new normal, no questions asked.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 8:15 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Young children are like sponges, adapting to everything life throws at them whether in the UK or Canada.
I'm sure there's truth in this. But then there are posters here whose kids haven't settled, some returning to the UK as soon as they could.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm sure there's truth in this. But then there are posters here whose kids haven't settled, some returning to the UK as soon as they could.
Whose young children have done this?
Old Mar 26th 2018, 10:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Whose young children have done this?
I'm fairly sure someone said theirs had returned to live with the other parent but I was actually thinking of something much less exceptional. Perhaps you missed the part where I referred to not settling and returning as soon as they could...you know, when not as young but still not adult.

Did you think I meant three days later or something?

I remember several parents posting of a son/daughter returning once school finished or whatever the circumstances were because they just couldn't get on.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lychee
Young children are like sponges, adapting to everything life throws at them whether in the UK or Canada. Culture shock isn't an issue, wherever they end up quickly becomes the new normal, no questions asked.
Lychee, this is exactly what I was wondering: do they really just settle in, no questions asked, or do they find anything difficult to adapt to, any frustrations and any longings for their old friends and home? I just wondered if there is anything you can do to help their transition. Thanks for confirming it's the former. Very reassuring as you do worry about how your kids will cope.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:46 am
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
When we came here 7 years ago, one child in high school, one in public school, the first thing we noticed was the playing and observance of Oh Canada every morning before class. So it may be worth brushing up on the words to fit in more quickly.
Thanks Twitcher. I hadn't thought of that. Little things to us can be big to them, and whatever helps them settle is worth it. Thanks.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did your children manage the transition okay?

A lot can depend on the parents decisions.
1. Will you be based in one place when you move? e.g. Renting first, then buying later
2. How integrated will you get with the local community? If you end up living in the sticks, it would be hard to make new friends quickly.
3. Focusing on the things you miss, rather than focus on the new things you can discover.
4. Spending more time communicating with people back home, than networking in your new community.

At the end of the day, it is up to you as a parent to make the transition as smooth as possible. If you worry too much, the kids will notice. Go with an open mind and enjoy the adventure. In a few months time you will look back and wonder what was I worrying about.

Positive thoughts make positive things
Old Mar 27th 2018, 11:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Kids are also sponges to the behaviour, attitude and emotions of the parents. If you are worrying about how the children will cope, no matter how hard you try to act 'normal', they will pick up on it. If you go into it as it's just another school, town, club and no big deal they are less likely to have any issues. If they pick up on mum and dad stressing - to any degree - they will assume there is something to stress about and could well have issues.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any tips on culture shock in children?

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I'm fairly sure someone said theirs had returned to live with the other parent but I was actually thinking of something much less exceptional. Perhaps you missed the part where I referred to not settling and returning as soon as they could...you know, when not as young but still not adult.

Did you think I meant three days later or something?

I remember several parents posting of a son/daughter returning once school finished or whatever the circumstances were because they just couldn't get on.
I believe that what Lychee said was correct. I don't disagree that teenagers may have difficulties.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Twitcher says the school played Oh Canada before class: at my daughter's school they play loud popular music just as it's time for lessons to begin in the morning.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 4:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 8 I moved within the UK from Sunderland to Newcastle. And I’m talking rough parts of both!! It may not be a different country and they may only be a river apart, but if you know anything about either of those places you’ll know how much of a challenge that was for all of us and how much of a culture shock it was!! (This was mid 90’s)
Within 3 hours at my new school, I knew I had to consciously change my accent otherwise my life would be over- there was zero multiculturalism- I was literally the only kid from elsewhere so it was damn obvious I wasn’t from there!...fortunately I was a bright enough kid and was able to adapt- like most kids do!!
I don’t believe parents shouldn’t move places or consider a different kind of life just because they have kids- children, especially younger ones generally just get on with things. And the less you make a big deal about it to your kid- the better. If they are gna get hyped up- make it exciting- not nerve wracking.
When I was back in the UK I worked in education within high schools and often worked with kids from other countries inc refugees- they manage! They cope. And when they become adults- your children will instantly have another country to choose from to move to or explore if they so wish, no questions asked- and that’s a great opportunity that not a lot of people get. :-)

I think we tend to over think things sometimes- and while kids are usually very aware of your feelings and certainly not stupid- they’re usually willing to give things a go- they’re not yet stuck in their ways. :-)
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:36 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
When I was 8 I moved within the UK from Sunderland to Newcastle. And I’m talking rough parts of both!! It may not be a different country and they may only be a river apart, but if you know anything about either of those places you’ll know how much of a challenge that was for all of us and how much of a culture shock it was!! (This was mid 90’s)
What exactly is the difference between Sunderland and Newcastle? I know there's a bit of a rivalry between the two, but isn't it all Geordie anyway?
Old Mar 27th 2018, 5:51 pm
Moving to Mississauga!

ScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond reputeScotinCanada has a reputation beyond repute

I can’t speak from personal experience (yet) but I know of two families with primary-age kids that have moved from Scotland to Ontario in the last couple of years. Both families have remarked that the kids settled in and adapted way easier and faster than the adults. They’ve had to change schools a couple of times too and the kids have been ok.

My friends’ eldest struggled a bit (age 10) and kept saying he wanted to go home and missed his friends. I think they coped by just getting him involved in local things - he got skating lessons and started playing baseball. Once he made some friends he settled in ok.
I get the impression that, as others have mentioned, it’s less of a culture thing as they learn and adapt so quickly. It’s more making sure they just have opportunities to make friends.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 6:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Shard
What exactly is the difference between Sunderland and Newcastle? I know there's a bit of a rivalry between the two, but isn't it all Geordie anyway?
Blimey, just between Knowle and Southmead in Bristol there are 'problems' with someone from the dark side being frozen out if they try to settle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.