Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Did your children manage the transition okay?

Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did your children manage the transition okay?

Hi. I was wondering: how well/easily did your children adapt to life in Canada? What areas were hardest for them to adjust? Do you have any tips on how to ease their transition or help them through the culture shock adjustment period?

I'm Canadian (Ontario) and my husband has lived there before, so we know what to expect for us. Our children (age 8 and 10) were born and raised in the UK. They have spent every summer and a few Christmases in Ontario with their grandparents and cousins, so they are quite familiar with it, but they have never lived there. They are excited, but we are nervous for them since we know from experience how difficult culture shock can be.

I just wondered what others with children have experienced, what we should expect, etc. I won't be dissuaded from going, but I think it's useful to be prepared. Thank you in advance.

Last edited by Anya121; Mar 26th 2018 at 1:59 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Did your children manage the transition okay?

Define culture shock?
They will attend schools with children hailing from multiple backgrounds/races etc and dependent on the area they could actually be in the minority.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

My two (they were 6 and 3 at the time) settled on without issue. We as adults noticed cultural differences far more than they seemed too. Hope that helps
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Anya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond reputeAnya121 has a reputation beyond repute

By culture shock, I mean the various ups and downs of settling in to a new life in a new place. I just wondered how children coped and if anyone did anything special to help their kids settle.

Thanks Howefamily. Very good to know.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Anya121
By culture shock, I mean the various ups and downs of settling in to a new life in a new place. I just wondered how children coped and if anyone did anything special to help their kids settle.

Thanks Howefamily. Very good to know.
So like moving from Preston to London then.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Yes, anywhere. It doesn't refer to any one culture or cultural aspect. It refers to the wave of adjustment: honeymoon phase (feeling up), frustration with differences (feeling down), adjustment and acceptance (levelling out). Most people go through it when moving to a new place, more so when moving to a new country. I've lived in a lot of countries so am very aware of it. I just wondered if it was harder on kids or if they managed okay. Of course adults can reason through it and know it's just a phase of adjustment. Whether kids can or how they find it adjusting is what I don't know. My question could have been phrased with the word 'adjustment' rather than 'culture shock.' Just a technical term for the same thing.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:52 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
The biggest difference I noticed from visiting London and visiting Preston was the price of beer. I'm not sure that's relevant.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 1:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

The only difference my oldest went through was that initially she found her younger sister so annoying that she wanted nothing to do with her (same as she was in England) whereas all the other kids considered their younger siblings more of a popular accessory. She's completely different now.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The biggest difference I noticed from visiting London and visiting Preston was the price of beer. I'm not sure that's relevant.
It is if you were on the same wage in London Also lack of Hollands Pies & Puddings in London so if from Lancashire that would be a culture shock
I guess it was the word culture that begged the question as we all know Canada is short on culture as its only just 150 years old or as per the dictionary definition

the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 2:41 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
^that

Why is the OP trying to figure out culture shock for the children, many whom just adapt at the drop of a hat- new adventures, new friends - they'll have Canuck accents inside of 12 months

As for culture shock moving around even in the UK, its no different than

Manchester to Liverpool, Southall to Costworlds, Glasgow to Dublin....the list goes on.

or in Canada

St John's Newfoundland to Toronto

Vancouver to Calgary

Summerside PEI to Quebec city

Calgary to Saskatoon
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:44 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
...in the UK, its no different than

Manchester to Liverpool, Southall to Costworlds...or in Canada St John's Newfoundland to Toronto, Vancouver to Calgary...
On the other hand the move is from one country to another.

Different currency - still decimal but different coins. Rounding of the total price and no 'pennies' in the change. Some things with tax added to the displayed price.

Pounds (lbs) rather than kg.

Shirts, ties and blazers at school instead of jeans and t-shirts or even PJ pants

Soccer Football for girls and (grid) football played with hands instead of feet

Summer camp as opposed to camping?

People addressing others as Sir when not in the police or customer situation.

Getting to school on a 'free' bus of the kind that you previously only ever saw in Nightmare on Elm St.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 3:50 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
On the other hand the move is from one country to another.

Different currency - still decimal but different coins. Rounding of the total price and no 'pennies' in the change. Some things with tax added to the displayed price.

Pounds (lbs) rather than kg.

Shirts, ties and blazers at school instead of jeans and t-shirts or even PJ pants

Soccer Football for girls and (grid) football played with hands instead of feet

Summer camp as opposed to camping?

People addressing others as Sir when not in the police or customer situation.

Getting to school on a 'free' bus of the kind that you previously only ever saw in Nightmare on Elm St.
Iced ****ing hockey morning noon and night.

Maybe they can't skate, never mind whacking other kids over the head with sticks while skating.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:08 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

My Son was 11 (starting in grade 7) when we moved to Kamloops, BC. His accent was the biggest hindrance in his opinion. He did not want to speak up in class or have a speaking part in any Christmas show because he felt extremely self conscious.

It didn't help that his name is Robert, but the Canadian pronunciation is Rabert so on his first day of school he repeated himself at least 6 times before they understood.

I had no idea about any of this, he is now 21 and only told me a few years ago.

But aside from that, there were no issues with settling in whatsoever. It's not like we moved to Thailand.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 4:21 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Bristol at post 11

I must have missed something in that translation of 'culture shock', thanks for mentioning the smallest of details. Just a few more things for the OP to be not so seriously be concerned about.

Likely the UK children will have more to life as kids growing up in the clean open spaces in Canada where they will develop over time the Canadian lack of sense of humour, otherwise if the OP sees its a huge challenge to move to Canada, they could all stay in the UK without the concern of 'culture shock'

As for 8 & 10 year olds in the UK or in Canada, life in their minds is about peer acceptance, social networking, that every child is a 'must have' phone with text & data capabilities, that each child is sent to their room so they can be on their smart devices/computers.

As for manners, school uniforms & respect- I'm guessing its the same on both sides of the pond, even down under

When it comes to monetary related things, each child [I said child] is armed with a 'Bank card', zero loose change & a paid for by a parent mobile phone device/tablet, bus pass & the lot - from what I see around & about me at the stores & malls
Old Mar 26th 2018, 5:14 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by not2old
.Just a few more things for the OP to be not so seriously be concerned about.
Although it's the mum that posted, the concerns are how the kids react, not the adult.

I think you may have been too long away from the UK

Likely the UK children will have more to life as kids growing up in the clean open spaces in Canada
That's a different point.
where they will develop over time the Canadian lack of sense of humour,

As for manners, school uniforms & respect- I'm guessing its the same on both sides of the pond...
Oh I don't think so.
When I left in 2004 schoolkids still looked the same as in my day - smart jumpers - perhaps with school crest - at Primary school and shirts, ties and blazers from age 11.
From googling class photos, except for the older kids, I still see much the same thing and it's such a contrast from what the kids wear at school in Canada (private schools excepted)

Those who have expressed an opinion on BE have usually stated their belief that kids here generally have far more respect for adults. The reputation of politeness doesn't begin in adulthood.

Nobody ever called me 'sir' in England, yet it was instant after moving here. Not people respecting elders, I've had people older than me addressing me that way.

Your comment about developing a Canadian lack of sense of humour may have been tongue in cheek but it suggests you are seeing a culture/behavioural difference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.