Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did you transfer QROPS WITH INVESTORS GROUP?

Did you transfer QROPS WITH INVESTORS GROUP?

Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Did you transfer QROPS WITH INVESTORS GROUP?

Has anyone still active on here transfered their UK pension with Investors Group in Canada ? If so did you make any withdrawal within the first 5 years of non UK residency?

If so I would be most grateful if you could PM me
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

dumbkopf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Did you transfer QROPS WITH INVESTORS GROUP?

hello, I take you are one of many that have now got a letter from them then?
got mine yesterday. I have been researching as many threads as I can to see who else was mis-informed!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

sorry mate, I just registered so the site wont let me PM you!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

think you have to make 5 posts chuck then we can pm
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond reputeTuppence has a reputation beyond repute

I did. Luckily I didn't withdraw anything, so I'm in the clear.
What a bunch of numpties. I'm pulling all my stuff out as soon as the fees to do so start to make sense.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chumley
Has anyone still active on here transfered their UK pension with Investors Group in Canada ? If so did you make any withdrawal within the first 5 years of non UK residency?

If so I would be most grateful if you could PM me
Hi Chumley,

I would be interested to learn more about the letter you have received.

If it is in regards to withdrawing within the first 5 years of being non resident, on many occasions i have expressed concern that the information clients were being given by certain advisors was incorrect.

It clearly states on the HMRC website that any withdrwawl from a UK transferred pension within 5 years of being non residsent could be liable to a UK tax charge of up to 55% .

Is this what the letter relates to ??

Thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

The letter is interesting and from what I gather, it is slightly different if they know what date you ceased to be a resident of the UK and what who you withdrew your funds. for first time buyer etc.
I wont go into it too much as I think legal advice is appropriate righ now.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 6:59 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dumbkopf
The letter is interesting and from what I gather, it is slightly different if they know what date you ceased to be a resident of the UK and what who you withdrew your funds. for first time buyer etc.
I wont go into it too much as I think legal advice is appropriate righ now.
So you were advised it was ok to withdraw funds within 5 years of the transfer and/or becoming non resident in the UK ?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

This I have to mention;
a buddy is concerned as he took out a large sum of cash, so quite rightly he calls and speaks to the highest person he can in IG.
This high up guy apparently sounded like he couldnt give two Sh**s about him!

His attitude was one of, "well, you're leaving us anyway, so why should I care about it." OMG!

When asked if IG would be making amends if people are out of pocket, he said that he couldn't answer that.

Now, the question is, what next?
move my funds to another company or stay with a disgusting company that are mis-informed and incompetent?

decisions, decisions.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

mjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond reputemjwalker007 has a reputation beyond repute

This I have to mention;
a buddy is concerned as he took out a large sum of cash, so quite rightly he calls and speaks to the highest person he can in IG.
This high up guy apparently sounded like he couldnt give two Sh**s about him!

His attitude was one of, "well, you're leaving us anyway, so why should I care about it." OMG!

When asked if IG would be making amends if people are out of pocket, he said that he couldn't answer that.

Now, the question is, what next?
move my funds to another company or stay with a disgusting company that are mis-informed and incompetent?

decisions, decisions.
Hi Dumbkopf

If you decided to move your funds to another provider, and you have still been non resident from the UK for 5 years or less, the HMRC could still impose a penalty.

You may also have D.S.C ( Decreasing Sales Charge ) penalties from Investors Group, if this was the way the transfer was set up.

QROPS rules state that the HMRC have to be informed by the QROPS provider of any withdrawals within this 5 period made from a UK transferred pension. Therefore that rule would apply if you transfer your pension to a scheme that is QROPS qualified, but then move the funds away from them if you have not been non resident for 5 years or less.

This is to stop people abusing the QROPS rules by moving their fund initially to a QROPS qualified company, and as soon as the transfer has taken place, moving their fund to any provider they wish, that may not have QROPS qualification. It is so the HMRC can keep a timeline on the transfer and have any withdrawals reported to them within the required time period.

Unfortunately there are advisors/providers that are giving advice on UK pension transfers only from the Canadian RRSP perspective. They are not providing the relevant information on what a QROPS transfer constitutes and the potential penalties that could be imposed if QROPS rules arent followed.

Unfortunately it appears that people are finding out about this now it is too late.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

I would only consider moving if the other company was QROPS authorized.
that should negate any penalties, shouldn't it?

it is amazing the fees involved with all this stuff too. You are quite right about DSC too. i only found out recently about these type of tactics and 'churning'.
From now on I will be keeping a closer eye on my funds and everything will be in written correspondence.

Is there a body that monitors financial services in Canada?
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Sue the bastards, that's what I say!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Sue the bastards, that's what I say!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:24 pm
Just Joined

If there are alot of Ex-pats that have been lied to or, have been misled I am happy get together form a civil action.
Oh what fun.

I love the fact that our financial adviser, who has moved companies is still telling us that we will not have to pay anything back to the UK taxman?

That being said, they have also suggested moving companies and putting it into an unlocked rrsp (this is because the new place don't have LIRA), then if we needed to, we can get our hands on it!

Five year rule anyone?

Who do you believe in a situation like that? No one is impartial!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

I would only consider moving if the other company was QROPS authorized.
that should negate any penalties, shouldn't it?

it is amazing the fees involved with all this stuff too. You are quite right about DSC too. i only found out recently about these type of tactics and 'churning'.
From now on I will be keeping a closer eye on my funds and everything will be in written correspondence.

Is there a body that monitors financial services in Canada?
Completing the transfer on a DSC basis negates the option of you having to pay a fee up front, which clients may prefer, however you should have been explained your options and what DSC meant.

The body that regulates mutual fund business in Canada is the MFDA ( Mutual Fund Dealers Association ) www.mfda.ca

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.