Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Did you say goodbye the day before?

Did you say goodbye the day before?

Old May 22nd 2009, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Did you say goodbye the day before?

Thanks again, what can I say?
I know other people have gone through or are going to go through this.
Rightly or wrongly it is the thought of the goodbye to my son that is giving me such a hard time.
Even now I am crying. Maybe I am just being a tad over protective because I am not going to be here to look after him.
It doesnt help that I think my mum has developed Munchausens syndrome. You name it, she thinks she's got it.
She is only 65 but talks like she is never going to see me again.
Our flight is not until 4.30pm and we have to take our cats to the airport so I think a hotel wouldnt work. We are booked into a lounge though.
I wish everyone all the best and I know really, that we will all get through it.
As Butch Cassidy said, a few months down the line I will probably laugh about it and yes I cannot wait to be reunited with my husband.
Tina
Old May 24th 2009, 4:23 am
Forum Regular

Kirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to allKirstine is a name known to all

We said our goodbyes to all our friends the Saturday before we flew out, we had a nice night out with them, I was a tad "thoughtful" that night but we had a lovely time. With my parents and brother, etc it was the night before and it was so so upsetting, I'm actually not one to show my emotion nor do I like crying in front of people but I was in tears the minute I got in my partner's car, we hadn't even left the driveway, I don't even like crying in front of him but I did and it lasted for hours! lol I also had that feeling of guilt of leaving these people who had looked after me all these years. I would have been very easy to convince not to go at that stage!

On the morning going to the airport it was my other half's Dad who drove us to the airport and the minute he hugged me I was having to fight back tears again, then we met a close friend in the airport who happened to be getting a flight to England that day and again I had to fight back the tears! I was a mess those couple of days but it does get easier. I would say too that I suffered my only bought of homesickness in the first two weeks, probably because of the stresses of setting up a new home, etc.

I don't really feel distanced from my friends and family though as we contact each other via Skype and talk for hours, can get see each other via video calls plus Facebook is also great. The internet definately does make everything easier, if I didn't have those facilities I dunno what I would do to be honest!
Old May 24th 2009, 9:11 am
Just Joined

Special1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Did you say goodbye the day before?

Hi Tina,

I think its a personal choice how you say your goodbyes and everyone has a different story/experience...

I was really emotional earlier this year & shocked myself how I was suddenly in tears and this also happened whilst I was at work (had to rush to the ladies to sort myself out before anyone noticed!)

But, just remember that it is not really a goodbye forever, your family will come visit/join you in Canada and also, you can see them if/when you return to UK, or you can meet up at a different destination & have a holiday together there!

I have been in Canada now for under 2 months, been v.fortunate to have found a good job & a good place to live. I'm looking at flights to go back to Uk to visit the family. I have said to my family/friends that I'm a sado since using my holiday leave to go to the UK (its probably at bottom of list of places I want to go for holiday!) but I need to go back to see family especially my mum.

Emails & telephone are great - so ensure that you have an email address and have contact details for your family and friends.

Good luck with the goodbyes and also good luck with your new Adventure in Canada!

Take care,
S
Old May 24th 2009, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

albertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond reputealbertabound has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks again,
I have decided against saying goodbyes at the airport and told my family this. To be honest the terminal I am flying from just has check in desks and thats it. There is nowhere to go and sit or have a drink or be a little more private before you go through security. I will say good bye from home before I go.
I know its not goodbye forever and I need remember that I will be seeing them all again.
There have deen some pearls of wisdom on this thread, but yes ultimately we can only do what we feel is best for us.
Tina
Old May 24th 2009, 3:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

farjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond reputefarjojo71 has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are definately doing the right thing Tina. When we eventually leave the UK, I am not allowing anyone to come to the airport with me and the children...the last thing I would need is trying to console 2 little ones after the family had left. I moved to Gibraltar many years ago for 3 years and it was like a family outing to Gatwick. We travelled down from North Wales in a mini bus there was that many who came to wave us off!! Never again! It was horrendous, especially saying goodbye to my mum. This time it will be me, kids and kittys (My OH will already be in Alberta).

I am also leaving behind my eldest son. He is 22 and is in the Navy and although he does not come home too often (He has been away since January and will not be back til August) I feel really guilty like I am taking his family home away. He is fine with us leaving though...and is planning on spending his leave periods with us as it takes him 6 hours on a train to get from his base to where I live so a flight won't be too much longer. I understand how you are feeling though...no matter how old they get, they are still your child and that's hard to switch off.

Good luck
Old May 25th 2009, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

sarah_matt is an unknown quantity at this point

I know you've had loads of responses for this tread, but just to let you know, we did our goodbye's running up to the day we left, and then for My Parents (we were staying with them) we said our goodbyes the day before. We hired a car to get us the the airport, which meant we were able to leave when we wanted to leave and head for our hotel, so there was no rushing in the morning of our flights, I think this was less stressful for everyone, even the children.

We have been here 10 months and we have had visits from My Parents, OH Uncle & Cousins and My sister is joining us next week for 2 week.

We have a webcam, I use Facebook and MSN, this has also helped keep family close.

Good luck with everything

Sarah
Old May 27th 2009, 7:04 am
jcd
Just Joined

jcd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
We decided to go to the airport the night before and stay in a travel lodge at the airport. It was the best move, we had the horrible goodbye with parents at home and then the goodbyes with siblings when they dropped us at the hotel. But the next day we started our new life and headed for the airport full of anticipation, and excitement, because ultimately we viewed this as an adventure and wanted to enjoy the start of the next chapter in our life.

Been here nearly a year and still loving Vancouver.

Good luck
JCD