Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

Old May 24th 2010, 9:40 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DESPERATE OIL TANK SPILL HELP

Originally Posted by chumley
as of today I have no debt to anyome I am solvent im not trying to get out of anything i simply do not have anything like $100,000 who does !!! I can give no guarantee to anyone thay I can pay them fact is i cannot
this is not down to poor money management or stupidty in any shape or form as of today there is no event I have had no work done I owe nothing by the end of the week it might be different
law states I have to have this work done and it matters not a jot if i can pay for it
Please be warned everyone it can happen to anyone
Not implying your situation is anything but misfortune, just that your idea of incorporating won't work if you are doing it after the fact.
Old May 24th 2010, 10:07 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I really think you need to take a few minutes and calm down.

I'm not sure where this $100k has come from but it seems ridiculously expensive. I've already read someone else on here, with a larger spill, report a clean up cost of $17k. $17k in itself is still no small chunk of change, but it's certainly a lot more manageable than $100k.

As others have mentioned, get some proper legal advice and get a few clean up quotations and then see where you stand. All this panicking about bankruptcy and losing your house is not doing you any good.

Is there any risk of the oil leaking in to a nearby watercourse, or someone elses property? If not, then I'd say your not in an urgent need to get it sorted. People have spills all the time- it's not the end of the world and I cant help but feel you're getting a little ahead of yourself.

Hope it all works out and the final cost is something a little more affordable.
Old May 24th 2010, 11:42 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I would also urge the OP to make absolutely sure that she needs to clean up the property right now.

If we assume that the cause of the oil spill has been fixed, and if the contamination is contained within her land , she may only need to undertake the work now if there is an unacceptable risk to humans on the site. It is likely her responsibility to self-assess this risk. If the pollution is contained and does not pose a risk to human health it may not be necessary to do any remedial work for the foreseeable future.

Although she will to be able to sell the place until it is all cleaned up she might still be able to get rental income. If the cost of the cleanup is really 6 figures she can always will it to her ex.

At the very least this will give her time to get the best possible quotations. If the pollution occurred before she owned the property she can also go after the previous owners in the small claims court for the cost of the work or the small claims coutrt's claim limit.
Old May 25th 2010, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I really think you need to take a few minutes and calm down.

I'm not sure where this $100k has come from but it seems ridiculously expensive. I've already read someone else on here, with a larger spill, report a clean up cost of $17k. $17k in itself is still no small chunk of change, but it's certainly a lot more manageable than $100k.

As others have mentioned, get some proper legal advice and get a few clean up quotations and then see where you stand. All this panicking about bankruptcy and losing your house is not doing you any good.

Is there any risk of the oil leaking in to a nearby watercourse, or someone elses property? If not, then I'd say your not in an urgent need to get it sorted. People have spills all the time- it's not the end of the world and I cant help but feel you're getting a little ahead of yourself.

Hope it all works out and the final cost is something a little more affordable.
i agree jerico I am climbing the walls with worry going through a particulalry difficult time whith with losing my husband to the same old slapper he left his first wife and kids for 19 years ago is not making things any easier however the law is so very tough in NS for those who do the right thing and report and I could not live with myslef if my tenant and her 4 week old baby were at risk. If this had happened in my own home it would be a whole lot different. I am in a flap because this happend to someone else in the same st and the bill was over $50,000. so appreciate everyones posts it does help
Old May 25th 2010, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

huge thanks this sort of info is just what I need i will check they are on the list the environmentla folk say I have to use and call them first thing in the am sounds daft but $17,000 would actually be a relief and no way have I lost 200 gallons more likley 200 litres perhaps
They are on the list of acceptable environmental consultants - what they normally do is subcontract the actual work to the cheapest "disaster clean up" company they can get at the time and use one of their own consultants to oversee things and take the soil samples
Old May 25th 2010, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nldfc
They are on the list of acceptable environmental consultants - what they normally do is subcontract the actual work to the cheapest "disaster clean up" company they can get at the time and use one of their own consultants to oversee things and take the soil samples
just been on to them is it Terry Smith you dealt with sorry cannot fathom the questionb mark on my new keyboard if so he is calling me as soon as he gets in
will post more when I know thanks so much for this info
Old May 25th 2010, 1:26 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

i agree jerico I am climbing the walls with worry going through a particulalry difficult time whith with losing my husband to the same old slapper he left his first wife and kids for 19 years ago is not making things any easier however the law is so very tough in NS for those who do the right thing and report and I could not live with myslef if my tenant and her 4 week old baby were at risk. If this had happened in my own home it would be a whole lot different. I am in a flap because this happend to someone else in the same st and the bill was over $50,000. so appreciate everyones posts it does help
Sounds like a nightmare. Can you not burden your ex with costs?
Old May 25th 2010, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by el_richo
Sounds like a nightmare. Can you not burden your ex with costs?
thought I was being a clever girl and did my own divorce in record time and my own seperation agreement which was accepted by the judge so divorce is all done and all fianaces sorted plus the rental is in my name only and was at the time of purcahse.

Wish now I had given the house to him I did everything to ensure I kept it and he had no claim on it
Old May 25th 2010, 2:19 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

thought I was being a clever girl and did my own divorce in record time and my own seperation agreement which was accepted by the judge so divorce is all done and all fianaces sorted plus the rental is in my name only and was at the time of purcahse.

Wish now I had given the house to him I did everything to ensure I kept it and he had no claim on it
Bugger.

Well good luck with everything

Old May 29th 2010, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Did you get any joy with this after ?
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

it has been a very long 15 days finally got the all clear form the environmental services today
cost around $10,000 amount spilled deemed under 100 litres but still repoertable

Please please take heed everyone these things are ruinous and something I never gave a single thought to

Tank installed in 2001 , oil line only 10 months old yet it happenned to me.

I was very lucky as my rental is in a town with municipal water and no close neighbours.

Most grateful for the huge amount os uspport on here and advice and links etc
I do not have a dime now but I get to keep the roof over my head
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:35 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

it has been a very long 15 days finally got the all clear form the environmental services today
cost around $10,000 amount spilled deemed under 100 litres but still repoertable

Please please take heed everyone these things are ruinous and something I never gave a single thought to

I was very lucky as my rental is in a town with municipal water and no close neighbours.

so glad to hear the result wasnt a complete disaster, great news
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:51 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, glad to hear it was resolved, albeit with a $10k dent in your pocket...
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:51 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

really glad to hear it was not as expensive as originally feared.
Old Jun 4th 2010, 9:52 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

So pleased it kind of worked out for you - I was thinking of you yesterday and was hoping you had it sorted.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.