Reload this Page >

Dentist question (sorry!)

Dentist question (sorry!)

Old Mar 16th 2018, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Anna Maria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Dentist question (sorry!)

[QUOTE=suzeandmatt;12455247]Hi folks!

Now- I can’t afford that!! I do have blue cross insurance through my husband which covers 80% of the root canal work & 50% of a crown but only up to $1500 a year.
I can set up the insurance through my own employer too and claim the same (after the 3 month wait or wgatever)

You should negotiate no wait time. When I came from the UK they recognized NHS/dental public insurance and if you register within 60 days from arrival you have no waiting periods. That was when I was new. Now after 3 years of being in Canada (NS) I had my private plan, then group plan through work, now switching to private plan again. Never had I wait a single day as Bluse Cross in particular has 60 days policy menaing if you join from another plan within 60 days ALL WAITING PERIODS ARE WAIVED (dental including) Good luck. And yes annual limits are in place
Old Mar 16th 2018, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Anna Maria;12463826]
Originally Posted by suzeandmatt
Hi folks!

Now- I can’t afford that!! I do have blue cross insurance through my husband which covers 80% of the root canal work & 50% of a crown but only up to $1500 a year.
I can set up the insurance through my own employer too and claim the same (after the 3 month wait or wgatever)

You should negotiate no wait time. When I came from the UK they recognized NHS/dental public insurance and if you register within 60 days from arrival you have no waiting periods. That was when I was new. Now after 3 years of being in Canada (NS) I had my private plan, then group plan through work, now switching to private plan again. Never had I wait a single day as Bluse Cross in particular has 60 days policy menaing if you join from another plan within 60 days ALL WAITING PERIODS ARE WAIVED (dental including) Good luck. And yes annual limits are in place
Thanks but been in Canada for 15 months now so not sure how this applies. I’ve had blue cross set up from Day 1 with my husband’s employer. But I never bothered setting up my own employment insurance with Sunlife as his is free whereas I have to pay a bit for mine- but never had a reason until now as I don’t have health issues that warranted it. The policy states from setting it up that I can’t claim dental for 3 months on that specific plan. Currently using my husband’s until the 3 month wait is up then I can spread costs onto that one too.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
My husband does fall asleep in the chair ........ even when he was having root implants done!

I haven't yet managed going to sleep, but I've been close ..... I have a dentist who insists that you be comfortable before he starts any work. I remember going one time the day after having a biopsy on my back that had left me with a couple of stitches just below my shoulder blade. I warned the dentist I might have to change position if it got too sore .......... he went and brought a cushion to see if that would help.

In fact, I didn't have any problem, but he was really helpful.
I have come very close during root canal work to falling asleep. I have found Canadian dentistry to far superior to anything I ever received on the NHS in the UK.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I have come very close during root canal work to falling asleep. I have found Canadian dentistry to far superior to anything I ever received on the NHS in the UK.
I agree ......... we have had much superior treatment here.

Plus, I have never experienced much pain during treatment here, any slight twitch or indrawn breath has immediately caused the dentist (and I've had several) to stop work, and check how much pain I've felt, and to try to alleviate it.

It hasn't been helped in my case that I have a nerve in my top lip that branches when it usually does not, both branches have to be anaesthetised for major work .............. the result of course is that it takes longer than usual for my face to regain normal feeling, and to be able to drink properly

I have my 6-monthly cleaning and inspection next week ............. no worries.

My memory of the UK is very different .............. all the way back to the "laughing gas" that used to be administered by the school dentist!

Last edited by scilly; Mar 16th 2018 at 7:59 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:25 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Engineer_abroad
I have found Canadian dentistry to far superior to anything I ever received on the NHS in the UK.
And so it should be. They get so much more here. It should be the difference between 5 minutes with a streetwalker and a high class call girl in a posh hotel room.

Originally Posted by scilly
My memory of the UK is very different .............. all the way back to the "laughing gas" that used to be administered by the school dentist!
The school dentist? From 1962 to 73 it was never more than an inspection at my schools, and a referral if necessary to see your own dentist. Mr Smedley in my case.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:36 pm
Listen to the Music

dave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond reputedave_j has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
The school dentist?
I think they were on piecework. Attended from primary school to have a few fillings, left with 6 teeth out.
Old Mar 16th 2018, 10:38 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave_j
I think they were on piecework. Attended from primary school to have a few fillings, left with 6 teeth out.
As long as you left with them in your pocket for under the pillow.