Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Declaring UK Property - CA tax return

Declaring UK Property - CA tax return

Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Declaring UK Property - CA tax return

Originally Posted by Souvy
Definitely do the T1135.
This thread got me researching as I'm in same boat. On page 4 of T1135 PDF (page 1 of instructions) it says
An individual (other than a trust) does not have to file Form T1135 for the
year in which the individual first becomes a resident of Canada (section 233.7
of the Act)
https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cr.../t1135-17e.pdf

in case that helps
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GermanytoCanada
I am assuming that you rent the house out and receive an income from this?

How do you get around not submitting a UK tax return? I was of the understanding that even if you made no money (profit) in the year, you still had to submit a UK tax return and non-resident landlord section?
I think you only have to submit a UK tax return if they ask you to. We’ve done the non-resident bit to HMRC and they send a form to my husband, but not me - I assume it’s because of different tax brackets. Having said that, his is always a nil return anyway.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I get a UK pension from former UK employment. I'm not UK tax resident but HMRC tells me that the income originates in the UK and is still taxable. It doesn't matter since the amount is below the personal allowance (even though I have one of those supposedly gold plated civil service pensions) but I still have to declare it to CRA.

They don't tax it either but they don't know whether tax on my overall income may be due until they have details.

Think of the reverse situation of being UK tax resident and having Canadian income as well as UK income. Even if you didn't have to pay Canadian tax, HMRC would still probably want to know about it.

When you say "Any money from this property stays in the UK", what do you mean? Do you not benefit from it?
Cheers, as per your last comment. I only benefit when I go back to the UK and do not have to convert currency. The money stays in the UK and has never left the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

evets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond reputeevets has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twitcher1958
I think you only have to submit a UK tax return if they ask you to. We’ve done the non-resident bit to HMRC and they send a form to my husband, but not me - I assume it’s because of different tax brackets. Having said that, his is always a nil return anyway.
HRMC has told me I do not have to submit tax returns now and declared me tax excempt. I have not submitted a tax return to the UK for the last 6 years.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by evets
Thanks for the feedback. Yes property is valued over $100kCA$(then again would be hard pressed to find a property less than that these days in any major city), but still the question if the UK tax office does not require me to pay tax on it, why do I need to declare it.

And if I declare it, would the CA tax office want/require me to pay additional taxes.

Surely the UK tax office has the final say here. Or I am missing something and the CA tax office is just being greedy.

@Aviator and @Shakyuk, thank you for your links, interesting but not what I had in mind....

Not declaring, was my thought!

Couple of options, see an accountant and get their advice ( I can take a wild guess on the outcome).

Write to CRA, outline the situation and ask for a determination. This should be done in writing, if there is a problem down the road, this letter is useful support for your actions. Again, I can take a wild guess on the outcome.

Deliberately not declaring income, not a good choice in my mind.

Leaving money in a foreign currency, earnings on this need to be reported as well, such as interest or investment income. If you bring any of the funds to Canada in CAD, any gains in the value due to an improved FX rate needs reporting as a capital gain. Disposal of the property, presumably you had a valuation before you left the UK (converted to CAD using the BOC rate on the day you became tax resident). If you sell the property, any increase in value at the time of disposal (converted to CAD at the time of disposal), is subject to capital gains tax.

Might be worth a read?
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxe...iled-1.2960595

Last edited by Aviator; Jan 18th 2018 at 3:04 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:56 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers, as per your last comment. I only benefit when I go back to the UK and do not have to convert currency. The money stays in the UK and has never left the UK.
So looking at it from a tax office point of view, when you go back to the UK you don't use your Canadian income when there because you left UK income there for that purpose. So overall, you would be gaining - including in Canada because you can leave Canadian income in Canada, untouched, if you see what I mean.

For you it makes sense to leave the money there to avoid currency exchange costs - as well as potential fees having the money sent to Canada - but the tax office view will be that you still have the money, however you arrange it.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 2:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Will_PA
This thread got me researching as I'm in same boat. On page 4 of T1135 PDF (page 1 of instructions) it says
of the Act)

in case that helps
That is only during the tax year in which they become tax resident. If one became tax resident on December 31, 2017, a T1135 is required for the 2018 tax year.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 3:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

of the Act)

in case that helps
It was the trust bit that screwed me. I benefit from one. The size of my stake in the trust is anyone's guess. All it does is divvy up dividend income from shares it owns. Pretty much impossible to put a value on that.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:28 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

of the Act)

in case that helps
I put a link in this post for taxation for new residents to Canada.

It may be of help to you.

Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Will_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond reputeWill_PA has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I put a link in this post for taxation for new residents to Canada.

It may be of help to you.

Yes, I'm on it! Thank you! Following your link is where I found the above rule.

There appears to be less lag in the system than in the UK... maybe that's just because year end seems to be calendar ye. Feels like I'm reporting UK income a year too early!
Old Jan 18th 2018, 5:43 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Does this declaration include monies kept in non interest bearing bank accounts ?

We still declare a share of a foreign property to CRA every year, despite no income coming from it.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:52 pm

Yes, I'm on it! Thank you! Following your link is where I found the above rule.

There appears to be less lag in the system than in the UK... maybe that's just because year end seems to be calendar ye. Feels like I'm reporting UK income a year too early!
In Canada, you have to report income in the calendar year it was earned (anywhere in the world).
Old Jan 18th 2018, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Does this declaration include monies kept in non interest bearing bank accounts ?

We still declare a share of a foreign property to CRA every year, despite no income coming from it.
Asset reporting and income reporting are separate. If you have £100k in a UK bank, non interest bearing account (although I cannot imagine why one would do that), this is reported on a T1135. Only interest earned, or capital gain on any FX is reported on a T1.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 8:48 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
Asset reporting and income reporting are separate. If you have £100k in a UK bank, non interest bearing account (although I cannot imagine why one would do that), this is reported on a T1135. Only interest earned, or capital gain on any FX is reported on a T1.
I wish, no it's just a couple of grand from birthday/christmas gifts etc people put there instead of sending money over.
Old Jan 18th 2018, 9:59 pm

Default Re: Declaring UK Proepery - CA tax return

It does seem like a cash grab, when you are exempt from UK taxes.
Canadian taxes have nothing to do with UK taxes. If you are resident in Canada, Canadian tax law applies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.