Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go home..

Deciding to go home..

Old Jan 7th 2016, 12:02 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding to go home..

It sounds like you've given it a good go but I can relate to what Siouvy posted.

I just returned "home" after two years in Ontario. After several episodes of spectacular homesickness, I was pretty shocked to find myself out of kilter with some friends and found the place totally different to my memory. Rose tinted glasses certainly sums it up for me. I was pretty keen to get back on the flight to my new home. I knew things would change after my time away but I'm the one that changed. I don't fit there anymore. It's not a bad thing.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

That's how I feel when I go back. Like I don't fit. And yes, even though I am very homesick at times here. Like you say, I never have a problem getting on the plane back to Canada (except that I hate flying!).

S
Old Jan 7th 2016, 12:54 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackiedelrey
That's what i love about glasgow, i keep telling my other half about the buzz that glasgow has. Comfort in your post that you can relate to what i've felt, sometimes you wonder if it's something wrong with yourself!
I hate Glasgow, its a dismal place full of drunks and unemployed youths. And they really do not like the English, specially English who rat out the scrounging waste of spacers by video taping them getting their fix of Super T or Spesh Brew before going off to work at some building site.

But hey that's my point of view only I guess.

I didn't get to work in any afluent areas by the way :@(

Last edited by magnumpi; Jan 7th 2016 at 12:57 am.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Jackiedelrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I hate Glasgow, its a dismal place full of drunks and unemployed youths. And they really do not like the English, specially English who rat out the scrounging waste of spacers by video taping them getting their fix of Super T or Spesh Brew before going off to work at some building site.

But hey that's my point of view only I guess.

I didn't get to work in any afluent areas by the way :@(
Mmmmmm well i guess glasgow ain't for everyone etheir, can't say i hate the english, can't say i get pissed before going to work etheir.

Drunk youths is definitely a problem in the whole the UK, if you ask me. You get scumbags everywhere.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:07 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmmm well i guess glasgow ain't for everyone etheir, can't say i hate the english, can't say i get pissed before going to work etheir.

Drunk youths is definitely a problem in the whole the UK, if you ask me. You get scumbags everywhere.
I don't hate on the Scott's either but it is what it is for me. Just shows that nowhere is perfect for diferant reasons. I never had the same issues in Edinburgh? But hey I hope u is happy when u go back.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 1:13 am
Just Joined

Jackiedelrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by magnumpi
I don't hate on the Scott's either but it is what it is for me. Just shows that nowhere is perfect for diferant reasons. I never had the same issues in Edinburgh? But hey I hope u is happy when u go back.
I love edinburgh, but i couldn't live there. And yes totally shows u that places can just not be a right fit for someone.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 2:47 am
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tirytory
It sounds like you've given it a good go but I can relate to what Siouvy posted.

I just returned "home" after two years in Ontario. After several episodes of spectacular homesickness, I was pretty shocked to find myself out of kilter with some friends and found the place totally different to my memory. Rose tinted glasses certainly sums it up for me. I was pretty keen to get back on the flight to my new home. I knew things would change after my time away but I'm the one that changed. I don't fit there anymore. It's not a bad thing.
That's fascinating, I was sure that you would come back with a hugely heavy heart- sometimes you need confirmation that things have changed- not just you, there as well. I'm glad you were happy to return- good luck with your exam.

Sorry OP for the brief hijack btw... We lived in Fife and much preferred Glasgow over the nearer Edinburgh- the latter, all fur coat and no knickers!! Glaswegians on the whole, much more friendly.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
I still remember when we realised you were Maryland Ned and not Maryl and Ned!
LOL! You need to get out more!
Old Feb 5th 2016, 4:33 am
Just Joined

Jonah_ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been here nearly 18 months and I'm finding it hard. I miss the British sense of humour and generally the Canadians I've met in BC don't get it. I now tried to avoid jokes apart from a local RCMP guy I'm mates with who does get the uk sense of humour.

I've also found the British tendency towards self-deprecation is completely misunderstood. I've found locals where I am far from straight talking and not in possession of the strongest moral compass.

All that been said the mountains, mountain biking, hillwalking and skiing is amazing. It beats fighting your way around the M25 on a Monday morning.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:49 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonah_
I've been here nearly 18 months and I'm finding it hard. I miss the British sense of humour and generally the Canadians I've met in BC don't get it. I now tried to avoid jokes apart from a local RCMP guy I'm mates with who does get the uk sense of humour.

I've also found the British tendency towards self-deprecation is completely misunderstood. I've found locals where I am far from straight talking and not in possession of the strongest moral compass.

All that been said the mountains, mountain biking, hillwalking and skiing is amazing. It beats fighting your way around the M25 on a Monday morning.
Welcome to BE Jonah!

Next time there's a meet-up, you should try and get to it if you can, a little bit of British humour and a couple of pints should help!

Whereabouts in BC are you?

Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:02 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jonah_

Yes the self-deprecation is totally misunderstood. I received quite a few puzzled looks or earnest words of encouragement before I gave up on it.

I think you need to accept as a starting point that the humour will be different, and not expect that people should get or be into British sense of humour. Along the way you will encounter some Canadians that do get/appreciate British humour, and can enjoy some banter. The main thing is not to get too hung up on it, as its give and take on cultural differences. Also, it is what it is.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 2:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes the self-deprecation is totally misunderstood. I received quite a few puzzled looks or earnest words of encouragement before I gave up on it.

I think you need to accept as a starting point that the humour will be different, and not expect that people should get or be into British sense of humour. Along the way you will encounter some Canadians that do get/appreciate British humour, and can enjoy some banter. The main thing is not to get too hung up on it, as its give and take on cultural differences. Also, it is what it is.
The longer I've lived here, which is depressing in itself, the more I've found the best policy is to ignore them as much as possible. At best they're an irritant . . .
Old Feb 5th 2016, 3:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
The longer I've lived here, which is depressing in itself, the more I've found the best policy is to ignore them as much as possible. At best they're an irritant . . .

Depending where you live you sometimes find it hard to actually find this elusive Canadian. I could go out this afternoon to the mall and Im betting I would find many people of various backgrounds who might hold a Canadian passport but truly don't regard themselves as Canadians.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 5:57 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. I think this notion of Canadian homogeneity is quite absurd. As though all the people in Canada have the same cultural, educational and religious upbringing, and interchangeable lifestyles.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't grow up in glasgow, i grew up 40 minutes in a town outside of it.

I returned home for 4 weeks in october, and i didn't feel like i was out of place at all. It felt like home and it felt right.
Which town?

I've been in Calgary for 3.5 years now, and it doesn't feel like home...although working field work all over the world makes nowhere feel like home, but I know a bunch of places I would NOT want to live (looking at you...Iroquois Falls, ON)

I'd move back to Europe (not necessarily, Ayr, Scotland or the UK) in a heartbeat if my girl would come with me. She's a born and bred Calgary girl, so take from that what you will

She's been over with me to visit my family in Ayr and loved the place. We might move over at some point, she's eligible for the Youth Mobility Visa so I guess we can try it out and see if she likes it...much like I did with Calgary to begin with

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.