Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go home..

Deciding to go home..

Old Jan 5th 2016, 12:35 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding to go home..

Originally Posted by pdarwin
At least you've not been sitting in Glasgow the past 3 years wondering 'what if?'. You came here and gave it a shot and now you've gone through it and it's been a life experience.
Not sure I agree about not being able to make friends here though. I think that's probably more down to your personality. One thing I found out, that you mentioned, is the humour here and if you try to use the dry, sarcastic humour that Brits are good with, it doesn't really work in Canada. Canadians don't really have the brain capacity to process that type of humour, so it can come across as meaningless or even insulting to them.
I agree with the first bit but I'd take issue with second part. Anglo Canadians are lousy at it. My (bilingual Quebecoise) wife assures me that Brit humour and Quebec humour are very similar.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 1:40 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackiedelrey
I guess i'm just writing this to get it off my chest and see what everyone else has felt since leaving home.

When i came here, i was so excited, so much hope, so much to look forward to.

After nearly 3 years here i have decided to leave.

Almost impossible actually, to the point i'm unbearably bored.

Now i've booked my flights to go back i am wishing these next 5 months to go in as fast as possible! I can't wait to be back in friendly Glasgow, the working class city where people laugh and don't take themselves too seriously!

Can't wait to get back to Scotland :-)
Short & sweet....like many before you & those that will follow the same path

You gave it a go, it didn't work for you - decision made, get on with the rest of your life & chalk down the Canadian experience

Good luck
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:09 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
I agree with the first bit but I'd take issue with second part. Anglo Canadians are lousy at it. My (bilingual Quebecoise) wife assures me that Brit humour and Quebec humour are very similar.
It's not the humour that frightens me in Quebec it is the driving.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 2:12 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
comes in the form of or due to the long winters & snow
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:19 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Nice generalisation. It nay be the case that driving in the Montreal area tends to be a little more "active" but otherwise I think you are far off the mark.

Google the stats.

The worst drivers are out west.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm Scottish and haven't actually had too much of a problem with people getting my sense of humour (I'm from Glasgow). If anything, my time in Sheffield was harder with people getting my humour. I've realised I'm just an odd ball and accepted that

I have struggled to meet people here. That has been a challenge. I recently joined meetup dot com and have been to 3 or 4 different events. It was nerve wracking at first but I put my big girl pants on and "sucked it up" and I'm glad I did. I'm trying things that I wouldn't have thought to do before.

Sometimes making the decision to go home is just as important as the one to come. Knowing you've tried it and didn't like it means you'll not have the constant wonder "what if".

Good luck in your return to the UK.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 4:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
comes in the form of or due to the long winters & snow
Originally Posted by Souvy
Nice generalisation. It nay be the case that driving in the Montreal area tends to be a little more "active" but otherwise I think you are far off the mark.

Google the stats.

The worst drivers are out west.
The highway driving around Montreal is psychopathic.
Old Jan 5th 2016, 6:25 pm
Slob

The highway driving around Montreal is psychopathic.
Not really, just different. Everyone drives the same way, so it's no surprise if some cuts you up or doesn't indicate.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 3:01 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jackiedelrey
I guess i'm just writing this to get it off my chest and see what everyone else has felt since leaving home.
You nailed it in sentence one. This is home now, or if you're still attached, then this isn't home.

You have to let go. TCMB is STILL calling Wales home after almost nine years, but she says she would never move back.

Draw a line, stand on one side of it and think about what it is you have for yourself. Then step across and weigh up what it is you actually want for yourself.

Anything else is bullshit
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
TCMB is STILL calling Wales home after almost nine years, but she says she would never move back.
TCMB? I tried searching for that acronym and came up with:

- Türkiye Cumhuriyet Merkez Bankasi (Turkey)
- Tennis Club de la Marine Brest (French: Naval Tennis Club Brest; Brest, France)
- Tanzania Cotton Marketing Board
- Tennis Club at Monarch Beach (California)
- 2-Trichloromethylbenzimidazole (chemical compound)
- Turkish Capital Market Board
- Town Centre Management Board
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The One Who Must Be Obeyed ?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The Current Mrs Bean?
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Jackiedelrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rebs
The Current Mrs Bean?
Loving how random this post has become ha
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The Current Mrs Bean?
That gets my vote. I thought of The something Mrs Bean but didn't know what the missing word was.
Old Jan 6th 2016, 4:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have to do what you have to do. I think you should be proud that you made the move to Vancouver and tried it out. Sounds like you've given it a go but it's just not for you. To be honest, I have never been a big fan of the place. We actually moved there (from Toronto) for a few months in the early 90s but neither of us liked Vancouver that much and we returned to Toronto.

My wife and I (and 2 kids who were born while we were in Canada) returned to the UK in 1996 after 7 years in Toronto. We liked Toronto but, even so, I'm glad we did move back to the UK because we got to be closer to family and friends and I think the move back was something we had to get out of our system at some point. We lasted 2 years in London (where neither of us are from but which we both liked well enough) before getting itchy feet again. We wanted to move back to Canada but I was offered a job in Maryland and we've been here ever since.

I think both my wife and I are restless people who want to rebel against settling down. We both feel like we've been in Maryland far too long but it's harder to move when kids (we have 4 now) have grown a bit, made friends, joined sports teams, settled into school, etc. We have 3 in college now and when the 4th one leaves home for college (in under 4 years) I am pretty sure that we'll move again.

Good luck in Scotland. Although that might not be your last move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.