Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Deciding to go home..

Deciding to go home..

Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:07 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Deciding to go home..

Originally Posted by Jackiedelrey
based on what you have said, sounds like you came with someone. So no you don't know what it feels like to relocate to vancouver solo.
Came on out on my own. Started off in Calgary, then Vancouver, moved with work.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

Jackiedelrey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Aviator
Came on out on my own. Started off in Calgary, then Vancouver, moved with work.
Ok well as i've said, good for you that you've fitted in so well.
I've spoken to alot of people even people who like vancouver who have said that it is hard to meet people here.

Don't quite get why you've said 'us' if you say you've moved on your own.

But anyway, glad to hear there are people who have responded who know what I mean.

People can disagree, but your delivery is something you may want to think about.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Ok well as i've said, good for you that you've fitted in so well.
I've spoken to alot of people even people who like vancouver who have said that it is hard to meet people here.

Don't quite get why you've said 'us' if you say you've moved on your own.

But anyway, glad to hear there are people who have responded who know what I mean.

People can disagree, but your delivery is something you may want to think about.
My OH came from the UK as well, but was not my OH when I moved over. I was in the UK every few weeks back then and sponsored her some while later, hence the 'us'.

Post 4, "I came alone".
Old Jan 4th 2016, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

My OH came from the UK as well, but was not my OH when I moved over. I was in the UK every few weeks back then and sponsored her some while later, hence the 'us'.

Post 4, "I came alone".
Thanks for the preciseness :-)
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

P4rv1n is on a distinguished road

My husband born & lived in Powell River for a while & I think after secondary school his family moved to Vancouver (cloverdale,Surrey). He loves it now says he loves downtown and is content.
I have made friends & it is true a lot of people are always 'too busy', it's too expensive, I'm not keen on the clothes & shoes here (everything is a size XS)!!! I feel like most things in Vancouver are delayed by 10 years, I really hope I do find my feet and settle once I find a job etc,

My dad thinks canada is the way forward but I think he is just saying that as I'll be there soon, the U.K. has gone down with migration, work, housing, health etc - guess I just have to find a happy balance.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I guess i'm just writing this to get it off my chest and see what everyone else has felt since leaving home.

I am originally from just outside glasgow, scotland.

I moved to vancouver, canada, a year after going to my brothers wedding here. He married a lovely canadian lady and they are settled here.

When i came here, i was so excited, so much hope, so much to look forward to.

After nearly 3 years here i have decided to leave. The last year of me being here i've felt so disconnected with here and there is one main reason, i find it so hard to meet people.

Almost impossible actually, to the point i'm unbearably bored.

In this time i have been lucky enough to meet an amazing canadian man, but in all honesty he's like one of the only people that i feel gets me here.

People are extremely stand offish, do not get the scottish sense of humour one bit.

I went home for 4 weeks for a holiday and after that ive decided to move back. I'm a little disheartened at the same time, i did think this would be a permanent move.

I guess when you immigrate, people think it will be all fun and rainbows but i have to say these past 18 months i've been up and down like a yoyo. Im really outgoing, chatty and ive never had problems meeting people. I just find it so hard here.

Now i've booked my flights to go back i am wishing these next 5 months to go in as fast as possible! I can't wait to be back in friendly glasgow, the working class city where people laugh and don't take themselves too seriously!

I guess i'm just writing this as a warning to people coming on their own to Vancouver. I can't speak for all of canada, but be assured that everyone here knows how hard it is to make friends, and it's well known for being a cold city.

If you're a kind of person who loves banter and making solid friendships, be aware it is hard here and takes alot of work.

All i have to say now is i'm exhausted in the attempts of hoping it will get better, but unfortunately it didn't.

Can't wait to get back to scotland :-)

We do try and warn people but no one seems to listen.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:51 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Oink
We do try and warn people but no one seems to listen.
Have u felt the same oink ?
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:57 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Have u felt the same oink ?
Of course and I'm pretty settled and have a comfortable life but its still an alienating and rather dull experience. But if you think its bad here the rest of the place is 10x worse and gets worser the more east you travel.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 10:57 pm

I found the surest way to meet people was to join groups and also volunteer for different groups. More than filled up any freetime I had and still does.

Being a miserable git is also avoids disappointment.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:01 pm

I found the surest way to meet people was to join groups and also volunteer for different groups. More than filled up any freetime I had and still does.

My sentiments exactly. One doesn't enjoy life here, one endures to a lesser or greater extent depending on ones financial position.

Of course there are lots of worst shitholes in the world but no one unless they're in the mining industry, foreign service or an untalented and lazy acedemic would choose to go there.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 4th 2016 at 11:04 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

It's wonder why you fit in here...name calling on an internet forum, cool guy
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

My sentiments exactly. One doesn't enjoy life here, one endures to a lesser or greater extent depending on ones financial position.

Of course there are lots of worst shitholes in the world but no one unless they're in the mining industry, foreign service or an untalented and lazy acedemic would choose to go there.
You're wasting your typing on this person oink...
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:15 pm

You're wasting your typing on this person oink...
No, I'm not. I agree with Aviator. He's a rather rational and grounded (excuse the pun) contributor on here.

Plus, I think he was saying he is the miserable git not you. Its a defensive attitude against the smug complacency you find prevalent here.

Last edited by Oink; Jan 4th 2016 at 11:18 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

No, I'm not. I agree with Aviator. He's a rather rational and grounded (excuse the pun) contributor on here.
You know i was only trying to post something to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, but you guys are just being smart arses behind computer screens for no reason.
Old Jan 4th 2016, 11:22 pm

You know i was only trying to post something to see if anyone else has had similar experiences, but you guys are just being smart arses behind computer screens for no reason.
No, I'm not. I emphasize with your situation, I thought a bit of solidarity and knowing other people felt similarly would be comforting. Its not great to feel to alienated and disillusioned, especially being so far from family and friends. Although if I were in your situation, I wouldn't wait another five months to go home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.