Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Day trip from Vancouver to the states

Day trip from Vancouver to the states

Old Aug 16th 2017, 3:28 am
Just Joined

leighmcgough is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Day trip from Vancouver to the states

So this could be a really silly question... but...

We have our 2 year work permits as a family and have relocated to Langley in the lower mainland.
We want to do a day trip to the states - drive over etc

We obviously need our passport- and I guess we should take our work per,it's with us as well?

Would people anticipate any issues going over into the states and coming back?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Day trip from Vancouver to the states

Originally Posted by leighmcgough
So this could be a really silly question... but...

We have our 2 year work permits as a family and have relocated to Langley in the lower mainland.
We want to do a day trip to the states - drive over etc

We obviously need our passport- and I guess we should take our work per,it's with us as well?

Would people anticipate any issues going over into the states and coming back?
Not really. If you have a valid ESTA print a copy off. You will still need to apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6 USD for each person.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

I would take a copy of your work permit (not the original) with you. Coming back into Canada I have been asked by CIBC officers to present it on a few occasions.

Make sure you also have all the paperwork for the vehicle you are in including proof of insurance.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take the original. But you should always have a scanned copy for your own records in case of loss etc.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

leighmcgough is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Not really. If you have a valid ESTA print a copy off. You will still need to apply for the I94 waiver and pay $6 USD for each person.
Do we need an ESTA when driving over the border?

The I94 - do we do that at the border or before?

I'll take our work permits - we have scanned copies safe at home.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:44 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

No.

At the border.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

dominiqueincanada is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33

No.

At the border.
My British parents came to visit me last month and took a day trip across to the US with my father-in-law in his car at the Vancouver Peach Arch crossing. The US border guard (incorrectly) insisted they needed ESTA and made them apply then and there - they were stuck there for an hour and a half.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 7:18 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dominiqueincanada
My British parents came to visit me last month and took a day trip across to the US with my father-in-law in his car at the Vancouver Peach Arch crossing. The US border guard (incorrectly) insisted they needed ESTA and made them apply then and there - they were stuck there for an hour and a half.
Yes, border staff everywhere make mistakes from time to time. All you can do is to try and make it all easy by having the documentation you do require and being polite and calm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

An ESTA IS NOT required if crossing a land border in a vehicle however if you have a valid ESTA you can use that to make the application for the I94 waiver easier if getting the I94 waiver at the border.
n addition, as of April 1, 2016, you must have an e-passport to use the VWP. An e-Passport is an enhanced secure passport with an embedded electronic chip. You can readily identify an e-Passport, because it has a unique international symbol on the cover.
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/internati...waiver-program

Also this link shows you how to get an I 94 number
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

I am a citizen of a VWP country and am visiting the U.S. from Canada or Mexico

If you are a citizen of a VWP country, and you are traveling by land to the United States, you do not have to apply for ESTA. If you are coming to the U.S. by air or sea, you DO have to apply for ESTA. If you are not a citizen of a VWP country, you are required to have a visa, and therefore ESTA does not apply to you.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...d/1094/kw/esta

IS EVERBODY CLEAR NOW
Old Aug 16th 2017, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes no ESTA required but as Engineer posted on another thread, it makes the i94 process easier. As well, you can apply in advance for the i94 (online) but you still have to go into the office to complete the process. What was concluded on the other thread is that having an ESTA makes the office process quicker at the border whereas doing the i94 thing online not so much.

And if you are a PR (of Canada) but a British Citizen EVEN if you have NEXUS you STILL have to do the i94 (but there is a special queue for NEXUS card holders in secondary at least at Peace Arch).
Old Aug 23rd 2017, 5:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA makes the process easier by about 30 seconds because the inspector simply asks for the address of where you're going rather than the whole name and address bit.

Anywhere the only reason I'm commenting is that they still give you a paper I-94 at land borders, REMEMBER to hand it in to CBSA when you leave as they often don't bother to take it or offer to take it.