Reload this Page >

CV/Resume Conversion

CV/Resume Conversion

Old Feb 19th 2012, 7:36 am
Just Joined

bing434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CV/Resume Conversion

Hi, guys,

This is my first post of hopefully many on this forum.

I have a question regarding qualifications and levels of education, and how they differ between the UK and Canada. Specifically, the highest academic qualifications I have are A-Levels, but I also possess an NVQ Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship in Telecoms. To a Canadian employer, these terms are, naturally, meaningless, so I'd like to know how I could go about a sort of translation, if you will, of my British qualifications into a format that a potential Canadian employer would be able to understand.

Please also advise if I'm attacking this from the wrong angle with regards to leaving my CV the way it is.

I recently submitted my application for a Working Holiday visa under the IEC scheme and would like to initiate hosting my CV on some Canadian job websites that one of my Canadian colleagues has advised.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

Stephen47 will become famous soon enoughStephen47 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CV/Resume Conversion

Hi!

I'm in the same position as me, in regarding applying for my working visa under the IEC scheme. I'm in the process of waiting to receive my LOI after posting my forms roughly 4 weeks ago, but no reply yet.

Any body know any decent websites I could use to give me some help in translating my CV into a Canadian resume, so employers can understand and can relate to it.

Steve
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:07 pm
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

To be honest you need to levarage off your work experience rather than qualifications. Yep you need to put qualifications on your resume but only at the end.

I can send you both some resume writing hand-outs from a course I took and some examples. Also willing to review your resumes. Just PM your email address.
Old Feb 19th 2012, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If you read the Wiki articles on Job Hunting, there are links in there to various websites with info about converting your CV to a resume.

HTH.