Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Customs question... FL?

Customs question... FL?

Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Customs question... FL?

So i'm going to Malta in 2 days (yay! )

When I come back to Canada I would like to bring back the following food items:

-Twistees cheesy snack (kind of like cheetos here)

-Capers

-Gozitan Gbejniet (Peppered dried goat cheese)

Historically I have brought these back undeclared just in my luggage. (not carryon) Not sure if this is the right way to do it, someone brought it up to me today and thought i'd check with you guys.

Cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 2:28 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customs question... FL?

Originally Posted by Gozit
So i'm going to Malta in 2 days (yay! )

When I come back to Canada I would like to bring back the following food items:

-Twistees cheesy snack (kind of like cheetos here)

-Capers

-Gozitan Gbejniet (Peppered dried goat cheese)

Historically I have brought these back undeclared just in my luggage. (not carryon) Not sure if this is the right way to do it, someone brought it up to me today and thought i'd check with you guys.

Cheers
I'm pretty sure you should declare all food brought into the country.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

All food items need to be declared regardless if in carry on or checked baggage.
Looking at the items mentioned the only one that might cause concern are the capers if still attached to the leaves.
Undeclared food items can bring about a $800 to $1300 penalty depending on the severity and items not declared.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. The capers are salted/cured and in a jar so no leaves. I just declare on the form they give me on the plane before landing back in Canada right? So as long as i declare it all that stuff is ok to bring back then. Cheers
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 3:45 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
All food items need to be declared regardless if in carry on or checked baggage.
Looking at the items mentioned the only one that might cause concern are the capers if still attached to the leaves.
Undeclared food items can bring about a $800 to $1300 penalty depending on the severity and items not declared.
Interesting- so cheese is OK?

Might step back to my African days when I'd have a couple of kg of frozen cheese in the case.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pizzawheel
Interesting- so cheese is OK?

Might step back to my African days when I'd have a couple of kg of frozen cheese in the case.
Most hard cheeses are OK but not the soft runny gooey ones unless purchased in the US. Note Gozit is bringing back dried cheese.
Any doubts check the CFIA website and use the AIRS
Automated Import Reference System (AIRS) - Plants - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

Dairy products (e.g.: cheese, milk, yogurt, butter)

up to 20 kilograms per person
Please note that quantities in excess of $20.00 may be subject to high rates of duty. The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) is responsible for determining customs and duties for items coming into Canada.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 7:04 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes and duties are determined using the tariff code. In my experience it is good to know the correct tariff code, as CBSA have been know to get it wrong, as well as incorrectly applying PST on imports into BC.

Chapter-by-Chapter Customs Tariff - T2015
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

With the exception of the twistees, its all homemade. The capers my grandparents pick and cure themselves from the fields behind their house, so they have no set monetary value, and the goat cheese is the same, they buy the cheese then pepper and cure it themselves. So i would assume high tariffs wouldn't apply to things that are home made.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 8:57 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

So i would assume high tariffs wouldn't apply to things that are home made.
Customs put a value on everything, regardless of actual cost. According to CBSA, free samples have a value - That discussion ended up with me spending some extra hours at the airport on one occasion. My contention was that everything has a cost, but not everything has a value, it is worth only what someone was willing to pay for it. Needless to say there were no clear conclusions to this discussion.

Unless you have large quantities, I doubt they would get too excited about it. Just check what is permitted and what is not. Often all that'll happen is it is confiscated and disposed of, unless it is obvious you are smuggling.

Last edited by Aviator; Jul 3rd 2015 at 8:59 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Normally CBSA use the transaction value in determining the value of goods in other words what you paid including any taxes.
There are other methods of valuation as shown here
The primary basis of determination and the five alternate methods are as follows:

Section 48 – The transaction value method
Section 49 – The transaction value method of identical goods
Section 50 – The transaction value method of similar goods
Section 51 – The deductive method of valuation
Section 52 – The computed method of valuation
Section 53 – The residual method of valuation
D13-3-1 - Methods of Determining Value for Duty

Say if given a golf shirt at a meeting you didn't pay for it but what would that golf shirt normally be worth?
Old Jul 3rd 2015, 11:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alright... Well I guess i'll just declare them and hope for the best, so at least I won't be fined $850, lol.
Old Jul 4th 2015, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Alright... Well I guess i'll just declare them and hope for the best, so at least I won't be fined $850, lol.
Oh come on..try and sneak it through and then we can see you on 'Border Security'
Old Jul 4th 2015, 12:57 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Oh come on..try and sneak it through and then we can see you on 'Border Security'
Old Jul 7th 2015, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I discovered cheese was OK thanks to watching Border Security
As a result I came back from the Uk with a couple of blocks of cheddar. I ticked 'dairy' on the form, told the customs officer it was cheese, and had no problems :-)
Old Jul 7th 2015, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Cheers guys, lol.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.