Curtains etc

Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curtains etc

Originally Posted by Souvy

Don't ever draw curtains or close blinds at night when it's very cold outside, by the way. You'll regret it in the morning if you do.
I'm curious, why do you say that?
I do every night and have never regretted it.
We don't have much choice anyway as we are in a bungalow with neighbours close by. I could wave at them from my bed lol
Old Feb 10th 2016, 1:43 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
I'm curious, why do you say that?
I do every night and have never regretted it.
We don't have much choice anyway as we are in a bungalow with neighbours close by. I could wave at them from my bed lol
It creates a barrier between the warmth of the house and the coldness of the window panes. Moisture in the air inside can freeze on the panes. You need pretty low temps for this (low minus teens and lower).

We have pretty good double glazing but know to not shut coverings completely when it's really cold. Let the warmth get to the windows.

It's the same with beer. I keep mine in the garage. Below -15, I bring it inside.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

AlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond reputeAlliF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
It creates a barrier between the warmth of the house and the coldness of the window panes. Moisture in the air inside can freeze on the panes. You need pretty low temps for this (low minus teens and lower).

We have pretty good double glazing but know to not shut coverings completely when it's really cold. Let the warmth get to the windows.

It's the same with beer. I keep mine in the garage. Below -15, I bring it inside.
Ah ok.
I think because the blinds here are the wooden louvre style ones we have never had that problem even on the very cold nights because some air still gets through from the vents that are right next to the windows.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:01 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scotdownunder
Ah ok.
I think because the blinds here are the wooden louvre style ones we have never had that problem even on the very cold nights because some air still gets through from the vents that are right next to the windows.
We have those too. We angle the slats downwards on the inside, so the warm air vectors up.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:13 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Must admit never had that problem at all with any curtains and blinds in the house and yes, they are closed throughtout winter evenings, must be the air vents in the floor by the windows.

Strange.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:45 pm
Slob

Originally Posted by Tangram
Must admit never had that problem at all with any curtains and blinds in the house and yes, they are closed throughtout winter evenings, must be the air vents in the floor by the windows.

Strange.
I think you answered the question. We are all-electric. No vents, so no rising warm air.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 3:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

What I have learned is definitely not to leave things in the tumble dryer overnight if you want to wear it the next morning.
The vent to the outside makes it a very unpleasant experience!
Old Feb 11th 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

IJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond reputeIJ157 has a reputation beyond repute

I got my curtains from home depot.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

I remember when I first came to Canada from the UK and I wanted blackout curtains. I checked out Walmart, goold ole IKEA (both of which had products I wanted) but I found Bouclair to be a good bet, they are on the mainland. They offer mid range and some low budget options too, with a wide selection of products. I was also interested in some net curtains but that isn't a thing here, and I guess it's not a thing anymore in the UK either!
Old Feb 13th 2016, 2:07 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's a regional thing, but I don't recall ever seeing curtains in a home here. Various types of blinds seem to be standard.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed, not many curtains where I am. Maybe as we get very hot in the summer and blinds just seem "right"- a bit like curtains would seem odd in a Spanish home.
Forget Sears- its just a shambolic mesh.
The Bay is much nicer- but I'm not sure if I've seen many curtains. It tends to look expensive but the trick is to wait for sales- which happen all the time and get huge savings.
Fabricland- Whats in Store
seems to be everywhere- huge selection of fabrics although I've never looked at curtain fabric, it also sells some ready mades.
If you get stuck try
Welcome to Marks & Spencer London
Started up last week- duties etc paid, looks a bit expensive because of the exchange rate. Sign up and wait for the email giving you 20% off.
I've tried it-got my stuff-fast as well- and it seems legit- links from the UK site

Sorry just seen fabric land already mentioned!

Last edited by snoopdawg; Feb 13th 2016 at 6:13 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

We too followed the herd and abandoned curtains - some California shutters downstairs and blackout/thermal insulating blinds on windows and skylights upstairs (made-to-measure and ordered from the internet - most impressed). Curtains certainly aren't common round here, and I don't miss them at all.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Sears sell ready-mades but shut down their custom drapery operations in the last 18 months.

I don't think The Bay does custom draperies as I've looked in the past.

For custom (made-to-measure) you really have to find an interior decorator, an interior design shop, or find your own fabric (not many fabrics stores around anymore) and find a professional drapery sewist to make them.

Bouclair used to do custom but re-invented themselves and no longer sell fabrics so probably no longer do custom. They only contract to people like me anyway.

I think Restoration Hardware and Pottery Barn will do made-to-measure (not exactly `custom`) but they are way over-priced in my opinion and I don`t think the quality is great, especially the lining. I have had to alter them at times.

I believe places like Budget Blinds also do `custom` but again I think they often contract to people like me.

I`ve been in the business of making custom draperies for local interior decorators since I moved back to Canada but I`m in Guelph, Ontario.

If you decide you want custom at some point I may be able to recommend someone in your area as I belong to a small Canadian networking group for this industry.

Cathie

Last edited by CDNReturner; Feb 16th 2016 at 3:32 pm. Reason: more info
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

dj322 is an unknown quantity at this point

Marks and Spencer mentioned on their website that they now have new dedicated websites for Australia, Canada, New Zealand, and USA!!!! Hooray. Maybe they might bring back a store or two after trialing this new website. The link is Welcome to Marks & Spencer London

Back to curtains, Homesense is a place where I picked up some blackout curtains too and at a good price.
Old Feb 16th 2016, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Just wondering: has anyone ordered from the M&S site to Canada?

They say all customs duties paid. Does that really hold true or will there be additional charges at delivery?

I know for example if you use this kind of "customs/import charges paid" services on ebay, they're a bit of a con and you can still end up having to pay on delivery.

S

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.