Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Credit history for new comers

Credit history for new comers

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 5:59 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit history for new comers

Originally Posted by happyhammers
I hate my bank in the UK (Halifax) for a number of reasons and would love to not pay them the 3 grand I still owe when I leave just out of principal.
Can they still pursue a debt in another country ? don't get me wrong I'm still going to pay as it's only 3 grand but I was just wondering.

Nice to give them the V sign though lol
Yes, they can pursue it.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 6:01 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Yes, they can pursue it.
Thanks R I C H

Knowing the Halifax I wouldn't put it past them
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 7:44 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

I hate my bank in the UK (Halifax) for a number of reasons and would love to not pay them the 3 grand I still owe when I leave just out of principal.
Can they still pursue a debt in another country ? don't get me wrong I'm still going to pay as it's only 3 grand but I was just wondering.

Thanks R I C H

Knowing the Halifax I wouldn't put it past them
I closed my Barclays account upon leaving England. Barclays lost the paperwork and pursued me nearly 3 years later for unpaid account fees. A UK based debt collection agency tracked me down in Canada and would call in the middle of the night chasing the money.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 8:35 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

They can, but depending on provincial rules, to legally collect debts in most provinces, the collector has to be registered in the province you reside in.

This is the governing act in BC Table of Contents - Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act

Agencies from outside the province can be a nuisance, but there is bugger all they can do another than be a nuisance. That is what call screening is for. I had an agency from the US after me for someone else's debt (had same name), just sent their number to voice mail all the time, they gave up in the end. Another, a courier invoiced us in error, got similar names mixed up, sent it to collections, told then it was in dispute, prove the debt or take us to court. Never heard from them again.

To collect in your province, an agency not registered would have to assign the debt to a registered agency, who than can pursue all measures open to them. There are ways to hinder this, but for a legitimate debt, it should be paid, it is the right thing to do.
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
They can, but depending on provincial rules, to legally collect debts in most provinces, the collector has to be registered in the province you reside in.

This is the governing act in BC Table of Contents - Business Practices and Consumer Protection Act

Agencies from outside the province can be a nuisance, but there is bugger all they can do another than be a nuisance. That is what call screening is for. I had an agency from the US after me for someone else's debt (had same name), just sent their number to voice mail all the time, they gave up in the end. Another, a courier invoiced us in error, got similar names mixed up, sent it to collections, told then it was in dispute, prove the debt or take us to court. Never heard from them again.

To collect in your province, an agency not registered would have to assign the debt to a registered agency, who than can pursue all measures open to them. There are ways to hinder this, but for a legitimate debt, it should be paid, it is the right thing to do.
Thanks for the info Aviator

I'm going to pay them, just not happy with how they stitched me up a few times in the 16 years I've banked with them.

But that's banks for you
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 10:13 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Can they still pursue a debt in another country ?
Why don't you try it and let us all know the result.

Or fake your demise.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

Homesick Canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

It will not follow you so the choice is totally yours.
Old Jul 25th 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Homesick Canadian is an unknown quantity at this point

I won't go into details but no one pursued unpaid debts when I left the UK, nor did they go after others I know who emigrated. The myth of them finding people is a weak one at best, I've never seen it happen personally though I don't doubt it happens rarely. The thing is they don't have a trail at all, there are no universal/international agencies that deal with this, and most banks just write it off as it costs more to pursue than to forget about.