Reload this Page >

Credit cards...

Credit cards...

Old Apr 21st 2017, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Nymeria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Credit cards...

Hey everyone.

So I'm currently in Canada on a WHV which expires this September when I will be returning home to the UK permanently.

I currently am trying to pay off a credit card bill of around $1400 but with the time I have left here, my job not paying the best wage and the expense of living here, I've figured I'm really going to struggle to pay it all off before I leave without leaving myself short of money each month.

I originally had to get this credit card to pay for a dental emergency shortly after I arrived in Canada, and what with the interest and such, the amount has snowballed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anything would happen if I should leave the country in September with the outstanding balance left unpaid? I'm still going to try and pay off as much as possible before I leave but there may be a bit owing on it since I'm struggling financially.

Will there be any repercussions in England? I have no assets here and don't plan to return to Canada to live.

Just curious about this. Thank you!
Old Apr 21st 2017, 8:04 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit cards...

You don't need to pay it back before you leave, you can continue to pay it from the UK. So just carry on paying it off for now and then that will continue when you're in England until the debt is repaid in full.

HTH.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond reputesuzeandmatt has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it makes no difference where you are. We moved to Canada in january with a UK credit card each- we weren't able to afford to pay them off before we left so kept making payments while living here and were fortunately able to afford to pay them both off last month. So long as you pay them off- the credit card issuers aren't bothered where you are.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:21 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
Hey everyone.

So I'm currently in Canada on a WHV which expires this September when I will be returning home to the UK permanently.

I currently am trying to pay off a credit card bill of around $1400 but with the time I have left here, my job not paying the best wage and the expense of living here, I've figured I'm really going to struggle to pay it all off before I leave without leaving myself short of money each month.

I originally had to get this credit card to pay for a dental emergency shortly after I arrived in Canada, and what with the interest and such, the amount has snowballed.

Anyway, I was wondering if anything would happen if I should leave the country in September with the outstanding balance left unpaid? I'm still going to try and pay off as much as possible before I leave but there may be a bit owing on it since I'm struggling financially.

Will there be any repercussions in England? I have no assets here and don't plan to return to Canada to live.

Just curious about this. Thank you!
Did you try claiming on your (compulsary) insurance for your dental emergency? Most policies include dental issues, so it may be worth checking.

Old Apr 22nd 2017, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

CanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond reputeCanadianSpruce has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Did you try claiming on your (compulsary) insurance for your dental emergency? Most policies include dental issues, so it may be worth checking.

Dental coverage is usually very limited with travel insurance. Many UK polices only cover £500 at the most.
Old Apr 23rd 2017, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

benbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond reputebenbb has a reputation beyond repute

If you're going to struggle to pay it off once you return to the UK (because you don't have a job etc), it would be best to get in touch with your creditors early to explain your situation and put a payment plan in place. Most creditors will be accommodating and willing to work with you to find a way for you to repay.

A default in Canada won't affect your UK credit score, but there is a reciprocal agreement between the UK and Canada that would allow a court judgement of this nature issued in Canada to be enforced in the UK.
Old Apr 25th 2017, 10:00 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nymeria
I have no assets here and don't plan to return to Canada to live.
You say that now but don't potentially make a mistake that could cause things to be a lot more difficult for you in the future. None of us ever truly know what will happen tomorrow or where we will be/want to be in 10 years from now.