Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CRA and UK premium bonds

CRA and UK premium bonds

Old Mar 15th 2024, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute
Default CRA and UK premium bonds

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has actually checked with CRA as to whether you have to declare UK premium bond winnings (which are tax-free in the UK) on your tax return?

Also, has anyone challenged the rule that a tax-free (in the UK) lump sum payment from a UK pension is taxable in Canada (unless it is invested directly into some type of Canadian pension)?

Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2024, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

British Columbian is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CRA and UK premium bonds

The UK pension lump some topic has been on here for many years. Every thing you need to know is on the enclosed post. READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada
Old Mar 15th 2024, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Boris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond reputeBoris-canadabound has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by British Columbian
The UK pension lump some topic has been on here for many years. Every thing you need to know is on the enclosed post. READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada
Thank you
Old Mar 15th 2024, 10:20 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boris-canadabound
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone has actually checked with CRA as to whether you have to declare UK premium bond winnings (which are tax-free in the UK) on your tax return?

Occasional winnings from gambling and lotteries are not included in income in Canada. This can change if the winnings become part of a pattern of income, when you could be deemed to be in the business of gambling. Business income is taxable. Occasional winning from premium bonds should not need to be declared. If you have a lot invested in premium bonds and treat the winnings as equivalent to interest then it is not so clear cut. I don't have any direct experience with dealing with the CRA on this issue, so it is just an opinion..

As for the tax-free 25% - aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh hhhhhhh!
Old Mar 21st 2024, 2:53 am
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have asked the same question before, not that I've ever won anything much but do get regular small wins. I do not worry about declaring them, I just treat it as lottery winnings. In the event of a big win I'd pull the money here as I believe that NS&I and my UK bank report interest etc to CRA as I am registered with them as a Canadian taxpayer.
Old Apr 6th 2024, 12:26 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kingsboy48
Hi, I have asked the same question before, not that I've ever won anything much but do get regular small wins. I do not worry about declaring them, I just treat it as lottery winnings. In the event of a big win I'd pull the money here as I believe that NS&I and my UK bank report interest etc to CRA as I am registered with them as a Canadian taxpayer.
well done.

In the event that you won a cool-million...

from the website
Winning the jackpot

If you’re lucky enough to scoop the £1 million jackpot, our Agent Million will visit you in person to give you the good news! Remember to ask for their ID before you celebrate – they’ll always have it ready to show you.