Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough
Default Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Hi

Thought I would ask this to see if its possible to do, might be stupid question and if so just ignore me.

I am Scottish, originally from Highlands, now live in Edinburgh with Canadian wife. We are thinking where we might go in 5 years when retirement looms. For various reasons when we look at Canada we are thinking possibly PEC/Kingston type area east of Toronto, Nova Scotia or Van Island.

If it were possible to relate these areas to bits of the UK, what would you say they were like? Or if that's not possible, how would you rate these areas against each other in general terms?

My very crude summary might be: Van Island, retired folk, bit rainy, long way from UK; PEC/Kingston bit colder in winter, quite rural, easier to Toronto and UK if needed; NS cold winters, lower cost housing, ok if you're retired.

thanks
Old Apr 9th 2018, 7:59 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Could you compare these areas to parts of UK?

Originally Posted by seascape
Hi

Thought I would ask this to see if its possible to do, might be stupid question and if so just ignore me.

I am Scottish, originally from Highlands, now live in Edinburgh with Canadian wife. We are thinking where we might go in 5 years when retirement looms. For various reasons when we look at Canada we are thinking possibly PEC/Kingston type area east of Toronto, Nova Scotia or Van Island.

If it were possible to relate these areas to bits of the UK, what would you say they were like? Or if that's not possible, how would you rate these areas against each other in general terms?

My very crude summary might be: Van Island, retired folk, bit rainy, long way from UK; PEC/Kingston bit colder in winter, quite rural, easier to Toronto and UK if needed; NS cold winters, lower cost housing, ok if you're retired.

thanks
NS - cold winters, hot summers, gorgeous Fall.
Great if you are retired, you can also pursue a good career here, up to you.
Lower cost housing as you get out of Halifax.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

thanks

My version ........

Vancouver Island ........ warmest area in Canada, less snow than anywhere else, less rain than on the mainland especially on the very dry eastern side, lots of retired folk and "snow birds" from elsewhere in Canada, close to Hawaii if you so inclined. Expensive.

BUT ........... you'll be retired as well, will you not???

That means plenty of opportunity to meet people of your own age, and plenty of activities.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:55 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
My version ........

Vancouver Island ........ warmest area in Canada, less snow than anywhere else, less rain than on the mainland especially on the very dry eastern side, lots of retired folk and "snow birds" from elsewhere in Canada, close to Hawaii if you so inclined. Expensive.

BUT ........... you'll be retired as well, will you not???

That means plenty of opportunity to meet people of your own age, and plenty of activities.
We have two new elementary schools opening here in the Cowichan Valley alone because of the demand from new families with young children.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 2:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
We have two new elementary schools opening here in the Cowichan Valley alone because of the demand from new families with young children.

Yes, I did neglect to add that VI is becoming a mecca for young families, with many people either working from home or commuting to the mainland.

Nanaimo has expanded rapidly over the last few years. It's amazing to see how many developments there have been in that area in the last 10 years, let alone the last 40 or 50
Old Apr 10th 2018, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
NS - cold winters, hot summers, gorgeous Fall.
Great if you are retired, you can also pursue a good career here, up to you.
Lower cost housing as you get out of Halifax.
I concur with this. Apart from the south end of Halifax, the houses seem reasonable. I have yet to buy a house, but I think our rent is very reasonable.

As for the career thing, it can take a while to get started as you really need to make contacts but, once your foot is in the door, there are good possibilities here.

I am from Northern Ireland, and been coming to NS since 2001. The instant I stepped foot in Halifax, I liked the laid back, friendly vibe, and said to the Mrs it felt like home in a way.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 7:49 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

if i was retiring i would prefer to retire to the Scottish highlands than anywhere in Canada.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Collie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond reputeCollie has a reputation beyond repute

We emigrated to Prince Edward County six years ago (just after I retired in my 50s) having fallen in love with the place ten years earlier. Feel free to pm me!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

seascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the roughseascape is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
if i was retiring i would prefer to retire to the Scottish highlands than anywhere in Canada.
Hah! I wondered if someone might come back with that. Having lived there until 18, then back again for about 5 years 2000 - 2005, I've had my fill. In good weather its lovely, but there's only a few days of that and even then its not reliable. Happy to be from there and it has shaped me hopefully for the better. Plus been there, done that, would like to experience something else. It would just feel like going backwards if you know what I mean.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 10:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How long ago did your wife live in Canada and where?

Just thinking for the snowy/cold angle.

I married a Canadian who was already living in Canada and for the first 9 months we lived at her in-laws in Montreal.

They were well used to winters and not at all fazed by it. To live with someone with that attitude, seeing how life just goes on, made it easier for me to adjust to.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 8:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Hah! I wondered if someone might come back with that. Having lived there until 18, then back again for about 5 years 2000 - 2005, I've had my fill. In good weather its lovely, but there's only a few days of that and even then its not reliable. Happy to be from there and it has shaped me hopefully for the better. Plus been there, done that, would like to experience something else. It would just feel like going backwards if you know what I mean.
Well, it does sound that you are looking for all the benefits you have in UK + more benefits in Canada. The reality is that comparing just never makes sense and every area will have different advantages, or none at all.

If I think about it, even Vancouver Island is half the size of the Republic of Ireland. When I drive from Galway to Baltimore, there are so many differences, you can't even start to compare. You can only look at the benefits for yourself.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Well, it does sound that you are looking for all the benefits you have in UK + more benefits in Canada. The reality is that comparing just never makes sense and every area will have different advantages, or none at all.

If I think about it, even Vancouver Island is half the size of the Republic of Ireland. When I drive from Galway to Baltimore, there are so many differences, you can't even start to compare. You can only look at the benefits for yourself.
yes probably true. I guess it was more about how would one area in Canada compare to another (not Canada v UK) and could that be reflected with how one area of UK compares to another eg Van Island is to NS like the south coast of England is to Cumbria. But perhaps that's not really doable!
Old Apr 11th 2018, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BristolUK
How long ago did your wife live in Canada and where?

Just thinking for the snowy/cold angle.

I married a Canadian who was already living in Canada and for the first 9 months we lived at her in-laws in Montreal.

They were well used to winters and not at all fazed by it. To live with someone with that attitude, seeing how life just goes on, made it easier for me to adjust to.
She was brought up in Toronto, moved to Vancouver around 98, Scotland in 2008.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

yes probably true. I guess it was more about how would one area in Canada compare to another (not Canada v UK) and could that be reflected with how one area of UK compares to another eg Van Island is to NS like the south coast of England is to Cumbria. But perhaps that's not really doable!
Even then, I think it would be very hard. If you look at Vancouver Island alone, there are so many things to consider. If you were living near San Josef Bay, it would be a 6 hour drive just to get to Nanaimo. I suppose being retired, there are other things to consider too (Health Care, Transport)

If you look at the UK, you could be living in Wales, drive to Dover and be in Calais in 6 hours.
Old Apr 11th 2018, 3:46 pm
vh3
Forum Regular

vh3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am originally from the highlands and have lived in Canada since 1996. We have spent 10 years in Calgary and then split the rest of the time between Vancouver Island and Vancouver. For retirement, we looked at Kingston (which I loved) and would have been happy there but.. we are now deciding that home is calling and will move back to Scotland in 2020. Kingston is very traditional with a Scottish background. Great places to eat

The Island is nice but it is not for everyone and you may find it isolating. It is also expensive to go anywhere as you have to take the ferry or plan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.