Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Old Mar 28th 2012, 7:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
The OP lives in Glasgow. He is a firefighter and his wife, a nurse. For some time, they've been trying to emigrate to Canada (4 years I think). Last week though, he posted that they had thrown in the towel (Canada's loss if you remember). They are now saying it's back on. There's been many people on here advising them to re-assess how good or bad they think life in Glasgow really is.

I'm just trying to add something to that.
In the context of staying back in Scotland, it's absolutely great info and worth considering.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

When I was 15 I visited the UK for the first time. I felt like I had come home. I loved it. I spent the next 30 years wishing that I lived there instead of the US. I married, had kids, got divorced... the whole catastrophe. All through this I had that nagging feeling...
Kids are grown up, I have a new husband who is a almost perfect partner. ANd I managed to move to the UK. I am happy here, and have had lots of opportunity I never would have had in America. I feel that I belonged in the UK and somehow my intuition knew that.
I followed my dream and I was right to do so.
Later this year I will be preparing to move to Canada because my husband wants to. I am happy to be able to make this happen for him. I love the UK but Canada feels right at this time in my life. My mother used to say that I was born with itchy feet!

If you have or will have kids they will be British because of you, Canadian because they will have lived there long enough or where born there. Two passports, two visas they never have to apply for, worry over, hope for. That opens up two continents of experience and opportunity to them. And the US is pretty easy to get to from Canada. To visit or to live.
Who knows what they will want to be doing with their lives when they are older, middle age, or old (like me!). How many people on this forum would give their eyeteeth to be able to move easily?

I say: follow your intuition. If you can't get Canada off your mind, then you just might belong there. Might be forever, might be for a long while might be a short while. Either way you followed your dream. (And maybe its not your dream you 're moving for...)
Old Mar 29th 2012, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
When I was 15 I visited the UK for the first time. I felt like I had come home. I loved it. I spent the next 30 years wishing that I lived there instead of the US. I married, had kids, got divorced... the whole catastrophe. All through this I had that nagging feeling...
Kids are grown up, I have a new husband who is a almost perfect partner. ANd I managed to move to the UK. I am happy here, and have had lots of opportunity I never would have had in America. I feel that I belonged in the UK and somehow my intuition knew that.
I followed my dream and I was right to do so.
Later this year I will be preparing to move to Canada because my husband wants to. I am happy to be able to make this happen for him. I love the UK but Canada feels right at this time in my life. My mother used to say that I was born with itchy feet!

If you have or will have kids they will be British because of you, Canadian because they will have lived there long enough or where born there. Two passports, two visas they never have to apply for, worry over, hope for. That opens up two continents of experience and opportunity to them. And the US is pretty easy to get to from Canada. To visit or to live.
Who knows what they will want to be doing with their lives when they are older, middle age, or old (like me!). How many people on this forum would give their eyeteeth to be able to move easily?

I say: follow your intuition. If you can't get Canada off your mind, then you just might belong there. Might be forever, might be for a long while might be a short while. Either way you followed your dream. (And maybe its not your dream you 're moving for...)
+1
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe you could be a smokejumper, or concentrate on wildfires instead of urban or suburban firefighting. You would have to live in nicer part of the country than Barrie....
I know nothing about the industry,but wanted to get the OP to think sideways, as being creative might make the move more successful.
Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 1:00 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

You can't eat the scenery.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

I'm not suggesting they eat the scenery...
I'm suggesting they look at other opportunities. Being stuck in one mindset eliminates the possibilities around you.
My sister has been out of work for 3 years because she refuses to look for a position in industries different to the one she has always worked in. Her skills are very needed in all sorts of sectors, but she is stuck in the old one.
I'm just suggesting that one actually looks around the landscape before deciding something is not possible.
And what is possible might be better than what you were originally looking for.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 3:58 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
I'm not suggesting they eat the scenery...
I'm suggesting they look at other opportunities. Being stuck in one mindset eliminates the possibilities around you.
My sister has been out of work for 3 years because she refuses to look for a position in industries different to the one she has always worked in. Her skills are very needed in all sorts of sectors, but she is stuck in the old one.
I'm just suggesting that one actually looks around the landscape before deciding something is not possible.
And what is possible might be better than what you were originally looking for.
I didn't quote you and therefore was posting to the thread and not necessarily in reply to your post.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 4:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Tangram

Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:20 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by alcat2010
What don't you understand about that ?
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

ok, sorry. I jumped the gun.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 5:42 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Depends what you're looking at, if its a berry crop or veggies - you can eat it!
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:11 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Aviator
Depends what you're looking at, if its a berry crop or veggies - you can eat it!
I don't class either as scenery.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:21 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I hear bear is quite good. I've only tried cariboo - it was really gamey.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:28 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
I hear bear is quite good. I've only tried cariboo - it was really gamey.
Hmmm not tried either. You could probably get both in Moncton.
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:31 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm not tried either. You could probably get both in Moncton.
really? Moncton just gets better and better.

BTW they do the Debaters on CBC there a lot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.