Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

alcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nicealcat2010 is just really nice
Default Re: The 'cost'/reality of living the dream..

Originally Posted by Tangram
What don't you understand about that ?
Riddles my friend.... no need
Old Mar 31st 2012, 5:22 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

not a riddle, just a statement, and a very true one.

The other poster had a good point though - you will likely need two wages to have a decent S of L.

Whilst firefighting will be impossible to get a paid position off the bat - what about your firefighting credentials could you transfer to another occupation, whilst maybe being a volunteer firefighter evenings / weekends?

That way you bring in some crust, and weedle your way into the service - thats a win win situation
Old Apr 1st 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Wow, this thread is sobering.

I just bought a 3 bed, 1200sqft condo townhouse in the nicest area of The Beach. I hope it's big enough for my girlfriend and baby! Ah well, we've managed in a 950sqft condo for a year so we're used to being cramped.

Guess if we have more kids etc. we'll have to shift again.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

richmag69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Alcat. I was a firefighter with 16 years experience and was looking to live and work in the Barrie or surrounding areas. I visited one of the Barrie firehalls and spoke to the guys who basically said 'no chance' you need to know someone or have been volunteering with them for a number of years. Experience in the UK equates to nothing here and you would have to start again at the beginning. They recommended joining one of the bigger GTA fire departments who are constantly recruiting, do your time there and then try to transfer after a few years. Barrie mainly takes on transferrees because its cheaper although they did recently have a recruitment campaign that has just finished. The other option is to commute from Barrie to the GTA, if you get hired there, as most of them do 24hr shifts and only work 7 or 8 days a month. I know of a lot of firefighters who live further out than Barrie and commute to Toronto. A fully qualified firefighter is on around $80000 but obviously you would start lower as you would have to go back to recruit school. You also have to get your Ontario truck licence before you can apply which makes it tricky if you intended on applying from the UK after getting your Permanent Residents Visa.

I live in Collingwood and my family and 2 kids love it here and it was the best move we ever made. We have a combined income of about $70000 currently, put 25% down on a $270000 2000sq.ft house from savings, and I feel better off financially here than I did as a firefighter in the UK although I was living in the South of England.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
I just bought a 3 bed, 1200sqft condo townhouse in the nicest area of The Beach.
Eh? Most of the townhouses in that nasty project where the racetrack used to be, I haven't seen any townhouses on Pine Crescent.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

JimandBettina is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by richmag69
I live in Collingwood and my family and 2 kids love it here and it was the best move we ever made. We have a combined income of about $70000 currently, put 25% down on a $270000 2000sq.ft house from savings, and I feel better off financially here than I did as a firefighter in the UK although I was living in the South of England.
Hey! I have a house in Collingwood and will be moving there after I retire from the Army soon! What a great place it is! We cannot wait to come over. How are you settling into the area?

We bought about 5 years ago and have come over for holidays. I love the place.

Jim
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dbd33
Eh? Most of the townhouses in that nasty project where the racetrack used to be, I haven't seen any townhouses on Pine Crescent.
It's 101 Hammersmith Avenue, quite a small development, and about 15 years old.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:10 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by humanist
It's 101 Hammersmith Avenue, quite a small development, and about 15 years old.
It looks like a small prison

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=101+Ha...68.9,,0,-11.38
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

Ailsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really niceAilsa n Dave is just really nice

Just a wee reality check on house sizes... a smallish 3 bed semi in Glasgow is about 600 sq ft.... With no basement and still with a postage stamp Garden...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
It is rather utilitarian/industrial isn't it?!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

richmag69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JimandBettina
Hey! I have a house in Collingwood and will be moving there after I retire from the Army soon! What a great place it is! We cannot wait to come over. How are you settling into the area?

We bought about 5 years ago and have come over for holidays. I love the place.

Jim
Yes we love it here. Snow wasn't very good this year but they kept the mountain open until mid March with their extensive snow making facilities. There are a lot of brits here already-don't tell too many people about it! Lovely spring day today, blue skies and 10C - got to get in training for the centurion bike race so might go out for a bike ride today up the mountain. There are so many outdoor activities available and fantastic scenery plus friendly like minded people - you can't go wrong if you like the outdoors. Where did you buy?
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ailsa n Dave
Just a wee reality check on house sizes... a smallish 3 bed semi in Glasgow is about 600 sq ft.... With no basement and still with a postage stamp Garden...
How is that possible

Our 2 bed apartment in London is bigger than that. There's no way you could add another bedroom to it.

Surely that's well below average though.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
It is rather utilitarian/industrial isn't it?!
It's a fair enough location though, if not quite "the best", it's a short walk to the boardwalk and, if you're an underage drinker, Castro's is just around the corner.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
How is that possible

Our 2 bed apartment in London is bigger than that. There's no way you could add another bedroom to it.

Surely that's well below average though.
i lived in a 1 bedroom that size...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:43 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
i lived in a 1 bedroom that size...
Don't you have 5 kids or something

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.