Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:10 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Originally Posted by LeesaRouz
I'm not very familiar with the system in Canada - I'm assuming that what will be my salary is from the host institution itself. Does this mean that if I am awarded funding from CIHR that 50% of it would be added to my salary?
I'm afraid not.

Generally speaking, funding "by the host institution" means funded from a research grant or contract which was successfully applied for by the member(s) of faculty employing the post-doc. My point was that CIHR consider $55K to be an appropriate salary in your field.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

LeesaRouz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm afraid not.

Generally speaking, funding "by the host institution" means funded from a research grant or contract which was successfully applied for by the member(s) of faculty employing the post-doc. My point was that CIHR consider $55K to be an appropriate salary in your field.
Ouch...
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

CHIR are the top level of grants though!!

The person you are working for may have got a much lower grant from another agency to pay post docs, as well as any benefits, as well as any overhead that the university takes off the grant for "administration". UBC does that overhead "take" ............... which basically reduces the amount of grant money available by whatever %age is taken.

Alternatively, he / she may want to spread the grant money over 2 or more post-docs.

You can try to negotiate more before arriving or after ............... but you may well run the risk of losing the post doc!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 9:05 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Leesa you have a PM.
Old Oct 9th 2017, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply! I'm still trying to understand the difference between an apartment and condominium lol.
An apartment has suites that can only be rented. There is a property manager who takes the monthly rent and nobody who lives in the apartment owns their suite.

A condo has suites that can be bought and sold as real estate and then rented out individually. Most people who live in the condo own their own suites. Some condos limit rentals - each building sets its own rules. If you rent a condo, there's always the chance that your landlord could hypothetically sell it one day or choose to evict you so they can move in.

That's my understanding,

Last edited by Lychee; Oct 9th 2017 at 6:14 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:42 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Ouch...
Use the job as a stepping stone to something better. Also it's not uncommon for folks in Toronto to work 2 or 3 jobs these days. I have several friends in their late 20's and 30's who top up their living serving/bar tending/ babysitting/ dog walking etc

Your timing is a little unfortunate as rent in the city in the last 3 years has gone up well above the rate of inflation.

I had a decent time in Toronto in 2004/2005 on $40k-ish. Whilst I shared accommodation I managed to run a car on that.
Old Oct 11th 2017, 2:43 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
Well, the last few offer letters I have signed range from about 55 to 70. These also come with a decent benefit package. I would really suggest the OP look at teaching for a whole range of reasons.
Scotland Yard on the 20th Son?
Old Oct 11th 2017, 1:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

On that salary I would try to live near UofT in shared accommodation. That cuts out commuting costs while also keeping the cost of rent and utilities lower.