Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:42 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living and where to live in Toronto

Originally Posted by LeesaRouz
Sorry I misread your question - university of Toronto
$45K isn't much of a salary for a post-doc.

Renegotiate or be prepared to share a flat or house with others.

My first proper job in Toronto paid $45K, but that was in 1983.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

LeesaRouz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
$45K isn't much of a salary for a post-doc.

Renegotiate or be prepared to share a flat or house with others.

My first proper job in Toronto paid $45K, but that was in 1983.
Unfortunately, education has little to no value these days. $36k is the average income for a postdoc. I was offered $40k initially - it went up to $45k after negotiating
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:40 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, education has little to no value these days. $36k is the average income for a postdoc. I was offered $40k initially - it went up to $45k after negotiating
Hmmm. I beg to differ about the value of education, but I've never paid a post-doc as little as $36K since about 1995 nor as little as $45k for someone with a bit of talent.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

mahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond reputemahdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your reply! I'm still trying to understand the difference between an apartment and condominium lol. So I guess I should just accept that 60% of my salary will be going on rental and public transport, right? Should I try and focus on finding a place closer to a train/subway line rather than rely on buses, given the weather conditions during winter time? I've never been there during the winter time, so that'll be a right slap in the face lol
A good portion will used on rent but public transport isn't bad value. $150 for a monthly, unlimited journey TTC pass which covers buses, trams and the subway is good, imo.

As you'd be downtown at UoT, having somewhere close to the subway would make life pretty easy. The winter shouldn't be much of an issue adapting wise, unless it's windy or there's freezing rain, then it's awful. I actually always found and still find winters back in Northern Ireland to be tougher just because of the continuous rain.

I don't know about others, but I would recommend not living anywhere near Sherbourne station. Always found to be a tad dodgy
Old Oct 7th 2017, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

Hmmm. I beg to differ about the value of education, but I've never paid a post-doc as little as $36K since about 1995 nor as little as $45k for someone with a bit of talent.
What university or insitution are you at, if you don't mind me asking? I spoke to quite a few postdocs in Toronto prior to accepting the offer who gave me the numbers I quoted. Only few postdocs would receive up to $70k such as those under the Banting grant award funding stream.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 5:32 pm
Born again atheist

What university or insitution are you at, if you don't mind me asking? I spoke to quite a few postdocs in Toronto prior to accepting the offer who gave me the numbers I quoted. Only few postdocs would receive up to $70k such as those under the Banting grant award funding stream.
I'm retired now but was at York for the 22 years prior. My field was (is) physical chemistry with an environmental twist.

A Banting scholarship is the real McCoy, but there's a lot of room between 45 and 70.

Out of curiosity, what's your field? ETA: and how many years since your PhD?

Last edited by Novocastrian; Oct 7th 2017 at 5:34 pm.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:12 pm
Just Joined

I'm retired now but was at York for the 22 years prior. My field was (is) physical chemistry with an environmental twist.

A Banting scholarship is the real McCoy, but there's a lot of room between 45 and 70.

Out of curiosity, what's your field? ETA: and how many years since your PhD?
Oh wow - your field sounds interesting my background is in pharmacy and my field is in pharmacy practice, focusing on prescribing and patient safety. Graduated 10 months ago - so still a newbie
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

neilgvirgo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Just in case you've not found it yet, the Job Hunting section of the Wiki has some fab articles to get you start.

Good luck.
Thank you so much that is very encouraging, I will persist in my efforts, thanks again 😊
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:55 pm
Forum Regular

gaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond reputegaz_c2c has a reputation beyond repute

Hi OP,

I've just moved back to Toronto as a PR (no job arranged beforehand) and have managed to get a job with one of my old employers. The salary is about $46k pa (which is a bit of a drop on my last salary in Canada at UofT, $64k). I've just moved into a bachelor at Bloor and Huron St which is $1200 all inclusive (PM me if you want more details).

It's not the luxury condo style apartment (far from it ) I had last time but it'll work for me whilst I get reestablished. It's an expensive city but at least I can save on TTC fares most of the time that I'm downtown. As others have said, you get more for your money the further out you get, just remember to factor in commuter times/fares.

I think it really comes down to what each individual wants. Last time out I wanted more space and a higher standard of apartment (lived in a new building in North York to achieve that, but always needed the TTC to get anywhere good). This time around I wanted to live close to the core for a while (thus I have a much smaller place in a much older building) but I'm minutes away on foot from much of the city now.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I, of course, agree with Novo. It is low. Are you able to teach a couple of courses to supplement income? I can't speak to U of T but often post-docs become a part of the Faculty Association and can be directly assigned teaching.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lmartin1000
I, of course, agree with Novo. It is low. Are you able to teach a couple of courses to supplement income? I can't speak to U of T but often post-docs become a part of the Faculty Association and can be directly assigned teaching.
I'm not entirely sure what opportunities I will have available to supplement my income - I haven't yet moved. However, they did mention that I could apply for a grant to supplement my income. Is $45k considered low even if I only have 10 months of experience as a postdoc?
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not entirely sure what opportunities I will have available to supplement my income - I haven't yet moved. However, they did mention that I could apply for a grant to supplement my income. Is $45k considered low even if I only have 10 months of experience as a postdoc?

Despite what novocastrian and lmartin have posted, it looks as though $45,000 is within the range of postdoc salaries offered in Canada!!

According to a site called Glasshouse the average postdoc salary at UofT is $46,450 with a range for $31,000 to S70,000

At McGill, average of $44, 492, ranging from $33,000 to $65,000

At UBC, average of $47,969, ranging from $36,000 to $62,615

A lot may depend on where the money is coming from!
Old Oct 8th 2017, 10:53 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by scilly
Despite what novocastrian and lmartin have posted, it looks as though $45,000 is within the range of postdoc salaries offered in Canada!!

According to a site called Glasshouse the average postdoc salary at UofT is $46,450 with a range for $31,000 to S70,000

I don't dispute those figures, but the salary is highly dependent on subject area, as implied by your closing remark.

The OP is in a field which would normally be funded by CIHR, whose post-doc fellowships are worth $55K (funded 50/50 by CIHR and a host institution).
Old Oct 8th 2017, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

lmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly

Well, the last few offer letters I have signed range from about 55 to 70. These also come with a decent benefit package. I would really suggest the OP look at teaching for a whole range of reasons.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

I don't dispute those figures, but the salary is highly dependent on subject area, as implied by your closing remark.

The OP is in a field which would normally be funded by CIHR, whose post-doc fellowships are worth $55K (funded 50/50 by CIHR and a host institution).
I'm not very familiar with the system in Canada - I'm assuming that what will be my salary is from the host institution itself. Does this mean that if I am awarded funding from CIHR that 50% of it would be added to my salary?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.