Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada

Old Nov 8th 2017, 11:47 pm   #46
BE Forum Addict

Location: Was Kinver, South Staffs, then Cambridge Ontario, now Peterborough Ontario.
Paul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond reputePaul_Shepherd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living? Help us settle this discussion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bats View Post
My partner and I were arguing over whether or not cilantro/coriander tastes like soap or not.
I wonder if you could give your opinions to help us settle this important point.
I think Corriander/cilantro.... is like Marmite... not in the physical sense, but you either love it or you hate it! - just like Marmite!

Its a very strong taste....and present in many curry/middle eastern style dishes, I love it!

But dont like Imperial leather in my curry!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:21 am   #47
Premium Member

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Cilantro is the first leafy parts, when the plant flowers and sets seed, that is the Coriander. I find both equally distasteful.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:37 am   #48
~~*Checksum*~~

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator View Post
Cilantro is the first leafy parts, when the plant flowers and sets seed, that is the Coriander. I find both equally distasteful.
Only in the US.

The Latin name for it is Coriandrum sativum. This is where the word "coriander" is derived from.

In turn, the word "cilantro" is the Spanish translation of the word (coriander).

http://www.suzisukarma.com/gallery.html .. Share the moments - share the memories - share the love!
Siouxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th 2017, 1:50 am   #49
Lt Col (Retd)
Premium Member

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me that there are two sets of comparisons to be made - the cost of basic minimum requirements and the cost of nice-to-haves and luxuries. The differences between the two can cause dramatically different opinions on "the cost of living".

I don't live in Canada, but though the cost of many "basics" here (US) is high, the cost of housing is low, and the cost of many non-essentials is low, meaning that for me the overall cost of living is low. If I was on lower income and spent a greater proportion of my income on housing (rent is relatively expensive, and you get a lot less for your money here), groceries, and medical insurance, then I would probably give you a different answer about the cost of living.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:21 am   #50
dbd33 
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulaski View Post
It seems to me that there are two sets of comparisons to be made - the cost of basic minimum requirements and the cost of nice-to-haves and luxuries. The differences between the two can cause dramatically different opinions on "the cost of living".

I don't live in Canada, but though the cost of many "basics" here (US) is high, the cost of housing is low, and the cost of many non-essentials is low, meaning that for me the overall cost of living is low. If I was on lower income and spent a greater proportion of my income on housing (rent is relatively expensive, and you get a lot less for your money here), groceries, and medical insurance, then I would probably give you a different answer about the cost of living.
I think it's generally accepted that the US is a great country in which to be rich and a terrible one in which to be poor. What I think is less widely known is the degree to which that is also true of Canada. One would not choose to be poor and sick in Canada if the UK was another option.
dbd33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:57 am   #51
Premium Member

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siouxie View Post
Only in the US.

The Latin name for it is Coriandrum sativum. This is where the word "coriander" is derived from.

In turn, the word "cilantro" is the Spanish translation of the word (coriander).
Your nomenclature is correct. However there is a distinct difference between Coriander and Cilantro, one being leaves the other the seeds once the plant flowers. Most widely accepted in North America.

We have several acres under glass at one of our locations and as described above is the widely accepted distinction accepted in the industry, both catering and horticulture.

A Google search 'Cilantro or Coriander' will bring up a number of references to this.

Last edited by Aviator; Nov 9th 2017 at 3:03 am.
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th 2017, 12:53 am   #52
Forum Regular

Statham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond reputeStatham2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by UxSims View Post
Ok, so we need some opinions to sort an argument!

I think cost of living in Canada is higher than the UK, my partner disagrees.

If it helps, this is between Toronto and Uxbridge and Peterborough in the UK.

My main points are:

Insurance and phone/internet plans are awfully expensive in Canada, and so are books. I never bought a book for its RRP in the UK! Boot sales, charity shops, online, The Works and similar, all offered me great deals.

Banking is far better, with incentives to change accounts and so on. moneysavingexpert had tons of tips on how to budget and plenty of point cards and so on, which helped. Boots, Sainsburys, Tesco, etc, everywhere has a card and that all helps cutting on costs.

My partner thinks food shopping and restaurant were more expensive in the UK. I disagree, I think it's similar and becomes more expensive due to lack of vouchers or a card.

What's everyone opinion?
No doubt about it. In my experience, overall cost of living is higher in Ontario than the UK. (I cant speak for other Canadian provinces)

And this isn't really based on UK vs Ontario, as there are many contributing factors... It is based on the 'living' / minimum wage in comparison to every day essentials from small purchases to the large i.e. food basics - house prices etc

In my opinion, you win

Last edited by Statham2016; Nov 11th 2017 at 1:09 am.
Statham2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th 2017, 9:20 pm   #53
Born again atheist
Premium Member

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
£3??!!!! Really!!

I don't shop in Asda, but I would never buy a £3 bottle of wine - aaaarrggghhhh!

I know what you mean, you can still get a half-OK bottle in the UK for £5 or 6.
Nor would I in ASDA, but here in Normandy 3 litres (4 bottles) of Cellier des Dauphins, a perfectly acceptable everyday Cotes de Rhone, costs 10.50 euros (about £11.50) in a box.

Cheers.
Old Nov 11th 2017, 10:33 pm   #54
Oink Male
Premium Member

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurlabrick View Post
£3??!!!! Really!!

I don't shop in Asda, but I would never buy a £3 bottle of wine - aaaarrggghhhh!

I know what you mean, you can still get a half-OK bottle in the UK for £5 or 6.
Trader Joe's used to have a wine special for $1.99 a bottle. It wasn't too bad if you added some ginger ale with it.
Oink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th 2017, 11:48 pm   #55
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oink View Post
...wine...It wasn't too bad if you added some ginger ale with it.
And that's when the legion pretended they closed?
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 2:05 am   #56
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

I like both cilantro/coriander
jerryhung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 3:14 am   #57
bats 
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryhung View Post
I like both cilantro/coriander
I'm glad to hear this. How will it affect byour decision to move to Canada?
bats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 12:21 pm   #58
BE user by choice
Premium Member

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Why the hell can't they wash cilantro/coriander here? Each bunch comes with it's own bucket of mud...it sure as hell isn't grown hydoponically in NB

A house is something you buy once...milk is something that I seem to buy industrial amounts of and it's expensive. As is our GST.

Meat is cheap, but where has it come from, what has it eaten, what has it been injected with and how has it died?
MillieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 2:14 pm   #59
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
Nor would I in ASDA, but here in Normandy 3 litres (4 bottles) of Cellier des Dauphins, a perfectly acceptable everyday Cotes de Rhone, costs 10.50 euros (about £11.50) in a box.

Cheers.
Our daughter (20 at the time) went to Nice for a year of university and her budget allowed only 2 euro for a bottle of wine (0.75 l). I tried it and switched to french beer which tells you something.
Partially discharged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th 2017, 3:31 pm   #60
Hamster Killer
Premium Member

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillieF View Post
A house is something you buy once...
Even little old me bought three.

I think that NB's GST rate has to be considered alongside how much you get back.

I don't mean the normal quarterly GST credit - as welcome as that is - I mean the extra one that was introduced when they increased the GST rate.

As a single person you can be on $45k and still get $100 extra back. A couple with kids can be on $65k and get $200 back. Obviously bigger credits are available.

Remember, this is to take care of the extra cost as a result of the increase.

The GST increase of 1.5% puts an extra $1.50 per $100 spend only on items attracting GST. Or $15 per $1000 spend.

So that family with an income of $65k (above average here) gets an additional $200 credit and that's enough for the extra GST on $13,000.
Does a family on $65k income spend as much as $13,000 a year on items that attract GST? Probably not.

It seems to me that most people in NB get back a bigger sum than the extra they pay.

A tax that takes more from the wealthier portion of the population. Who'd have thought that would happen in North America

(NB is, surprisingly, not alone in this idea)
BristolUK is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   British Expats / Living & Moving Abroad / Canada