Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Cost of living? Help us settle this discussion!

Cost of living? Help us settle this discussion!

Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living? Help us settle this discussion!

Living in Canada, why worry what the comparative cost of living is somewhere else? Like others, when we moved here it was half the cost of living in the UK. Cost of living is more than the price of goods though, disposable income is more a measure.

The important things are a lot cheaper in Canada. The lower GBP also make the cost of importing goods to Canada so much better too.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 3:55 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
£3??!!!! Really!!

I don't shop in Asda, but I would never buy a £3 bottle of wine - aaaarrggghhhh!

I know what you mean, you can still get a half-OK bottle in the UK for £5 or 6.
Last time I was in Asda in Brighton a year or so ago I was rampaging up and down the wine and milk aisles bending random strangers ears about how cheap it was. I was so amazed (clearly been out of there for too long) that I had to share it with everyone
Old Nov 7th 2017, 4:01 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Unless the OP partner will have extended healthcare from work or paid extended health insurance, then the added cost of prescriptions, dental & eyewear needs to be factored in for the two adults & three children

The added cost of two seasons clothing for the kids

In the whole scheme of things I dont believe the cheap plonk comparison matters

Other more expensive item comparison owning property in Toronto is property taxes, I also believe that renting a house in Toronto will be more than in Uxbridge UK
Old Nov 7th 2017, 4:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
...to me I can afford a home, gas to get to work and childcare should I need it...to me makes more sense than not being able to afford my own home but having access to GBP3 a bottle wine in Asda, and a really cheap smartphone plan but each to their own.

£3??!!!! I don't shop in Asda, but I would never buy a £3 bottle of wine - aaaarrggghhhh!
Back in the UK - up to 2004 - I used to have a rule. White for less than £5 was a waste of time and the equivalent for Red was £6.50.

I would typically buy Aussie wines like Rosemount for between £5.50 and £7.50. Jacob's Creek was okay and Sainsbury's Chardonnay was acceptable.
Oh, yes...forgot. Hardys Stamp was acceptable and that was just under the £5/£6.50 mark.

In NB, Hardys Stamp is $13 for white and red (unusual) Jacob's Creek nearly $15/nearly $16 and Rosemount reds (no whites) $20.

I see in Sainsburys their own is £4.60 which I'm sure is less than I used to pay, Jacob's Creek is £5.50. I can't see any Rosemounts but Hardys Red is £5.25. If they still sold Chardonnay it may be under £5.

Tesco sells Hardys Chardonnay for £5 and Rosemounts for £7.20.

It's almost as if wine hasn't gone up there in 13 years.

£3 may have been an offer...multi-buy or something?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 5:12 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Other more expensive item comparison owning property in Toronto is property taxes, I also believe that renting a house in Toronto will be more than in Uxbridge UK
One other thing about Toronto is the land transfer tax, as you pay double in effect, once for provincial, and once for municipal. Though if a first time buyer there is a rebate, which seems pretty substantial (500k house, in toronto, is around 12k for the provincial and municipal, but with the rebate for first time buyer, it's about 4.5k)

Rental wise, for a 3 bedroom place, probably around CAD$3200 per month minimum, so about £1900 a month. But that does depend on what exactly you're looking for, and in what area.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with everyone that the comparisons will/can drive ya crazy but living in Vancouver I definitely feel things are more expensive - housing, taxes, cheese, University, shopping (amazon.ca is not the same as .com or .uk)

Depends on how much you earn really. Canada is OK, depends on what you're looking for as to whether you will think it is "worth it".
Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:27 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
One other thing about Toronto is the land transfer tax, as you pay double in effect, once for provincial, and once for municipal. Though if a first time buyer there is a rebate, which seems pretty substantial (500k house, in toronto, is around 12k for the provincial and municipal, but with the rebate for first time buyer, it's about 4.5k)

Rental wise, for a 3 bedroom place, probably around CAD$3200 per month minimum, so about £1900 a month. But that does depend on what exactly you're looking for, and in what area.
Hence my point of 'where you want to live' - other areas are far cheaper.

Old Nov 7th 2017, 6:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

and Canada is not a nanny state
Old Nov 7th 2017, 7:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

You assert that as if it's something to be proud of. Look at you wimpy Swedes with your free dental care, you Scots with your free education, you Swiss with your cradle-to-grave free medicines. We don't need none of that, we're tough, we are. Toothless, ignorant, and a bit crooked from not being able to pay for therapies, but we're proud. No one nannies us!
Old Nov 7th 2017, 10:51 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

It is. It just does a really bad job of it.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:51 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
It is. It just does a really bad job of it.
A Ninny-Nanny State?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Shakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond reputeShakyuk has a reputation beyond repute

£3??!!!! Really!!

I don't shop in Asda, but I would never buy a £3 bottle of wine - aaaarrggghhhh!

I know what you mean, you can still get a half-OK bottle in the UK for £5 or 6.

Asda have 3 bottles for £10 and that actually has a couple of bottles which are alright. There's a few French and Australian red's which are nice. Recently they've had one of the Hardy's on sale for £5, the type changes but weekly there's always one available.

Like Howe said though, I'd much rather have a reasonably priced house than the wine.

My town makes shoe boxes in the middle of traffic jams and markets them as family homes.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:07 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

My partner and I were arguing over whether or not cilantro/coriander tastes like soap or not.
I wonder if you could give your opinions to help us settle this important point.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:06 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by bats
My partner and I were arguing over whether or not cilantro/coriander tastes like soap or not.
I wonder if you could give your opinions to help us settle this important point.
Bar of soap or dishwasher soap? Free range?

Old Nov 8th 2017, 6:11 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by bats
neutral on this one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.