British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Cordless drill (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/cordless-drill-631705/)

Scotty boy Sep 20th 2009 5:54 pm

Cordless drill

Im a tradesman moving to N.S on saturday. Im shipping my tools over in my container. I have quite a good quality cordless drill and am wondering if the battery will charge ok there. What with power differences. Cheers guys

Steve_P Sep 20th 2009 5:59 pm

Re: Cordless drill

Originally Posted by Scotty boy (Post 7948353)
Im a tradesman moving to N.S on saturday. Im shipping my tools over in my container. I have quite a good quality cordless drill and am wondering if the battery will charge ok there. What with power differences. Cheers guys

Is the charging unit multi voltage i.e 110-240v 50/60htz?

If not do you plan on using this drill on a work site?

If yes is it practical to carry a transformer around with you in order to charge it while on the job?

Not sure if this will help or not. http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Compat...f_Goods-Canada

ontheway Sep 20th 2009 6:26 pm

Most Cordless drills charge at a very low voltage, you should be able to pick up a 110V power adapter from ebay USA or Canada for most popular makes of power tool. I have done the reverse on many occasions.

Scotty boy Sep 20th 2009 6:29 pm

cheers guys

agr Sep 20th 2009 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Scotty boy (Post 7948416)
cheers guys

Couldn't get a charger for my 12V Ryobi. Everything's 18V now. Are you at a convenient upgrade point?

Anantsiaq Sep 20th 2009 6:46 pm

My husband brought his tools over. He bought a heavy-duty transformer and a short extension cord. He changed the plug on the cord for a Canadian one, and was able to charge and use his tools. Houses often have 220v for heating. I brought over a Teasmade from the UK, and had a friend remove a small baseboard heater and install an outlet. I plugged it in and set it for 7am. It presented me with a pot of tea at about 3:30 am, due to the fact that the damned CYCLES are different! it makes the clock whizz forward. Teasmade doesn't accommodate ex-pats and no-one else makes a similar gadgets

The only problem with my husband's method is the weight of the transformer. If you have to cart it about, you need a car.

Scotty boy Sep 20th 2009 6:49 pm

Its in good nick and its an 14volt bosch so hopefully i can get one. Seen them on ebay.ca so thankfully i can get one

Aviator Sep 20th 2009 6:59 pm

Unless electricals have a CSA/UL approval stamp, it is unlikely they can be used on a commercial job site. It would be worth talking to the appropriate Workers Compensation Board who govern safety and standards.

When used in a house, non approved electricals may invalidate insurance.

Aviator Sep 20th 2009 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by Anantsiaq (Post 7948444)
I brought over a Teasmade from the UK, and had a friend remove a small baseboard heater and install an outlet.

There are electrical codes and standards you should be conforming with. What size breaker is the outlet on? Ours are on 15amp, and baseboard heaters are on 20amp. You may also want to check with your insurer if the are ok with modification such as this.

In Canada, only qualified electricians as supposed to do electrical work, homeowners are not supposed to do their own, although many probably do.

Steve_P Sep 20th 2009 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7948472)

In Canada, only qualified electricians as supposed to do electrical work, homeowners are not supposed to do their own, although many probably do.

This not necessarily true at least in Alberta.

As long as you the home-owner get a permit and have the work inspected you are certainly allowed to electrical work in your own home.

MikeUK Sep 20th 2009 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by The Aviator (Post 7948472)

Given whats acceptable here and considered code, the average brit with only half an inkling about DIY will often do better than a full paid up sparky here

Buy your regions Electrical code book, use common sense

I'm currently removing stuff that was put in / left/ ignored by an approved electrician who was proud to admit he re-wired the house!!! in the UK he'd be kicked off the Job site and black listed by every contractor that heard about him

Many things that are considered code here, would fail in most if not all of Europe:unsure:

Aviator Sep 20th 2009 11:57 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7948747)
This not necessarily true at least in Alberta.

As long as you the home-owner get a permit and have the work inspected you are certainly allowed to electrical work in your own home.

Same in BC actually, so long as the home owner gets the permit and has it inspected they are OK I believe.

Yogi-Bear Sep 21st 2009 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by MikeUK (Post 7948798)
Given whats acceptable here and considered code, the average brit with only half an inkling about DIY will often do better than a full paid up sparky here

Buy your regions Electrical code book, use common sense

I'm currently removing stuff that was put in / left/ ignored by an approved electrician who was proud to admit he re-wired the house!!! in the UK he'd be kicked off the Job site and black listed by every contractor that heard about him

Many things that are considered code here, would fail in most if not all of Europe:unsure:

Have to agree with this one.

I'm an Electrician here in the Uk, soon to be Calgary - like this Sunday :) I was shocked at some of the things I saw, that was considered code in Canada.

Y :)

Yogi-Bear Sep 21st 2009 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Scotty boy (Post 7948353)

Hi Scotti,

I've brought all my cordless Hilti stuff over from Uk to Calgary. Get yourself a "Step-up" tranformer that does the following:

110/120V 50-60hz input which then gives you an output of:

220/240V 50Hz output - The unit even has a UK three pin plug outlet.

I've bought one, and I'll charge the batteries up at night and take them with me to work in the morning.

I've also taken a UK trailing socket with four outlets, so I can charge allsorts at the same time.

The "Step-ups" are far cheaper than buying new drills etc...

They range in load of 250, 500, 750, 1000, 1200, watts etc etc right up to 5Kw - which would be ridiculous to be honest.

I think I paid about $68.00 for a 1000watts or so - just the job :)

Cheers

Y :)

Scotty boy Sep 21st 2009 6:03 pm

Thanks yogi im owed you a picnic basket. :thumbup:. Wher would i buy one?