Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Originally Posted by pdarwin
I have 13 years credit in the UK, but not paid anything in since the 80's. Then 7 years credit in the Netherlands. Then the rest of the time until I retire I will have paid into the Canadian system. Is there any reason I would want to pay into the UK system for the last 6/7 years? Does where I retire make a difference (UK or Canada)?
At the moment you will get 13/35 of a full British pension when you retire. If you pay another six years of arrears, plus this year and next,, which will cost you about £1,150 at Class 2 rates, you will get 21/35 of a full British pension. The extra is worth about £34/wk or £1,780/yr. In other words, the payback period for you £1,150 is less than eight months of retire, so from anyone's perspective, an extraordinarily good deal.

You will need to get right on to the DWP immediately to get your paperwork sort out before the end of the tax year so you don't lose a year of arrears. That said, some people are reporting bein allowed to pay back to around 2006-07, so you pay be able to fill your boots with several more years of arrears!
Old Feb 13th 2017, 12:46 pm
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contributing to the UK state Pension whilst living over seas? time limit?

Originally Posted by Edo
Thanks Elgin.

But as word has it, the Class 2 NI scheme is going to shut down in 2018 isn't it?

It may not impact you as much since you have already been accepted but for me the registration process hasn't even been completed yet. So if I don't register/make up for the missing years before April 2018 then I guess I will lose the opportunity to take advantage of Class 2 altogether.
Yes, you need to be accepted for Class 2 in order to be eligible to pay the years since 2006 at Class 2 rates, so it's possible that when Class 2 shuts down, they may not accept any new applicants at that rate, which would mean you'd have to pay the previous years at Class 3 rate. But you still have enough time: it takes months, not years.
Old Feb 23rd 2017, 2:59 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elgin1983
Yes, you need to be accepted for Class 2 in order to be eligible to pay the years since 2006 at Class 2 rates, so it's possible that when Class 2 shuts down, they may not accept any new applicants at that rate, which would mean you'd have to pay the previous years at Class 3 rate. But you still have enough time: it takes months, not years.
Hi Elgin

I have finally received my confirmation letter from HMRC that I have been accepted into the voluntary Class 2 NI scheme. They have sent me a breakdown for each year that I need to pay to make up for the missing years. I am going to make the payment directly from my UK bank account using the 18 digit reference no. on their letter. But my question is should I pay it all in one lump sum or break it down into individual payments just like they have on their letter? May be it doesn't matter but I thought to check it first with someone who has done it.

Also, do they issue receipts when they receive these payments?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

snoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond reputesnoopdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Hi Elgin

I have finally received my confirmation letter from HMRC that I have been accepted into the voluntary Class 2 NI scheme. They have sent me a breakdown for each year that I need to pay to make up for the missing years. I am going to make the payment directly from my UK bank account using the 18 digit reference no. on their letter. But my question is should I pay it all in one lump sum or break it down into individual payments just like they have on their letter? May be it doesn't matter but I thought to check it first with someone who has done it.

Also, do they issue receipts when they receive these payments?
I paid a lump sum for several years payment, I don't remember if I did on line or sent a UK cheque though. I did get a receipt.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:53 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snoopdawg
I paid a lump sum for several years payment, I don't remember if I did on line or sent a UK cheque though. I did get a receipt.
OK great, I will pay it in lump sum then. There's an option of doing it through bank transfer which is helpful
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this is the same for everyone but postal communication from HMRC takes 3-6 months every time I've tried it. I really want to pay in for this year but they tell me I HAVE TO WAIT for the forecast to arrive and then I have to call them back to make an appointment (when they will call me) to discuss voluntary contributions. So far I've been waiting since the first week of January for my forecast.

They never believe me when I tell them their postal service takes months. This has been going on for the 12 years I've been here with any aspect of the UK government.
Old Feb 24th 2017, 8:57 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
I don't know if this is the same for everyone but postal communication from HMRC takes 3-6 months every time I've tried it. I really want to pay in for this year but they tell me I HAVE TO WAIT for the forecast to arrive and then I have to call them back to make an appointment (when they will call me) to discuss voluntary contributions. So far I've been waiting since the first week of January for my forecast.

They never believe me when I tell them their postal service takes months. This has been going on for the 12 years I've been here with any aspect of the UK government.
I requested my pension forecast in October 2016 and it just arrived this week. The letter showed as dated January 26th.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

oh! I just send in my form for voluntary NI.. if it is delayed then it won't be NI 2 as i understand it changes by end of March to NI3.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:36 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Hasan78
oh! I just send in my form for voluntary NI.. if it is delayed then it won't be NI 2 as i understand it changes by end of March to NI3.
Thats the March of 2018, not 2017.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 2:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hasan78
I suspect that the change won't be retrospective - government tax and revenue policies rarely are. If so, people will continue to be able (subject to eligibility) to make Class 2 payments for years upto March 2018, and Class 3 will apply from April 2018 going forwards.
Old Mar 2nd 2017, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNReturner

Well, I'll be darned. My forecast arrived today via Schiedam in Rotterdam!

Better than I thought but since I still have a bit of money in the UK (earning a pittance) and the timeshare is now gone, I might as well buy myself some more pension.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 11:08 am
Banned

Elgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond reputeElgin1983 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
OK great, I will pay it in lump sum then. There's an option of doing it through bank transfer which is helpful
Hi Edo, sorry I haven't checked the board for a while. Yes I paid in a lump sum, but if you haven't already it's a good idea to phone them and check the details: when I phoned them they gave me a different account to send the money to, and told me to use my NI number and surname as the reference, not the 18 digit number they gave.

Then I called them a couple of weeks later to check that it had been accepted and the years credited, and they confirmed that they had
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:46 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Elgin1983
Hi Edo, sorry I haven't checked the board for a while. Yes I paid in a lump sum, but if you haven't already it's a good idea to phone them and check the details: when I phoned them they gave me a different account to send the money to, and told me to use my NI number and surname as the reference, not the 18 digit number they gave.

Then I called them a couple of weeks later to check that it had been accepted and the years credited, and they confirmed that they had
Bummer!!! I have already paid in lump sum using the 18 digit reference that they sent. Should better call them a.s.a.p.

But thanks for getting back to me Elgin
Old Mar 6th 2017, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit that I would not be able to look at myself in the mirror without feeling a huge sense of shame if I attempted to rip off the British taxpayers to such an extent.
Old Mar 8th 2017, 6:12 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I assume on the form you leave the UK address blank ? Also which form is it you send to request ability to do voluntary contributions and to find out how much it will cost you .... is it CF83 ?

Last edited by Tangram; Mar 8th 2017 at 6:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.