Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

IT contracting in Canada > Umbrella company required

IT contracting in Canada > Umbrella company required

Old Sep 28th 2015, 11:37 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IT contracting in Canada > Umbrella company required

Actually another query , on a first time payroll what tax code are you on as a new immigrant ?
Old Sep 29th 2015, 2:22 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

The basic personal amounts are $11,327 for federal tax and Ontario $9,863. That said, the Canadian income tax system does not work the same way as PAYE in the UK. You self-asses and file a tax return each year rather than relying on HMRC to calculate the tax they think you should pay.
Old Oct 1st 2015, 12:19 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritCanadaNewbie
Yup. Appreciate the tips guys. Can be confusing compared to UK.
Here you get a contract.
give them your P45.
And thats it.
Alot of bullshit and messing here about for such a simple setup.
It's a lot simpler here, imo. What are there, six payroll codes?

In the UK it superficially appears to be simpler because HMRC try and do everything for you but in reality they're doing that to extract as much tax as possible. It is in fact far more complex, PAYE RTI.

Forms of corporation I suppose are more complicated because of CCPCs and Federal corporations.

I see a lot of companies set up to use Federal corporations that don't need to. Just because you do business in another province doesn't mean you need to use a Federal corporation. If you have offices across the country and people on payroll across the country, then it makes sense, but having customers outside of the province, generally not.

Also I never really understand why some provinces require the majority of directors to be citizens or permanent residents, apparently Ontario is planning on scrapping that.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 1:53 pm
Banned

BritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond reputeBritCanadaNewbie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
Managed to get a new contract but the company has now asked me for the following documents,

3. Certificate of Insurance (Sample showing the coverage limits)
4. W8-BENE form (read instructions on http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8bene/)
5. GST/HST Registration document with number/id

I've no clue about these. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks Guys,
-
Old Apr 8th 2016, 2:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
Managed to get a new contract but the company has now asked me for the following documents,

3. Certificate of Insurance (Sample showing the coverage limits)
4. W8-BENE form (read instructions on http://www.irs.gov/instructions/iw8bene/)
5. GST/HST Registration document with number/id

I've no clue about these. Anyone point me in the right direction?
Thanks Guys,
-
The GST certificate is usual and simple enough but the others are perplexing. The only jurisdiction I've worked in where insurance was required was California, what sort of coverage are they asking for? The IRS form isn't obviously relevant, have you incorporated in, or become resident in, the US? Are you an American?
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:11 pm
Banned

No, not in america. I'm working remotely and being paid Corp to Corp. Yes I'm incorporated. But thats all i've done so far is get my incorporation number. where do I get the GST certificate form from? is that where I have to register for a Business number?
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:14 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
... The IRS form isn't obviously relevant, have you incorporated in, or become resident in, the US? Are you an American?
If the payer is a US corporation/person he will need the W-8BEN to certify that he is not taxable in the US.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:16 pm
Banned

ok so fill in this form and send to my employer?
https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-W-8BEN-E
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

No, not in america. I'm working remotely and being paid Corp to Corp. Yes I'm incorporated. But thats all i've done so far is get my incorporation number. where do I get the GST certificate form from? is that where I have to register for a Business number?
Yes. If ON is the same as BC your business number will have been allocated when you incorporated. Something like 123456789 ON 0001. The first 9 digits are the business number. It is not the same as the provincial incorporation number. You need to go to the Canada Revenue Agency website to register for a GST account. Once registered your GST number will be 123456789 RT 0001.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:19 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Registering for a GST/HST account
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:20 pm
Banned

Aah. I see. Great help guys. Thankyou !
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:21 pm
Binned by Muderators

ok so fill in this form and send to my employer?
https://www.irs.gov/uac/About-Form-W-8BEN-E
Employer? But yes, if you are contracting to a US company.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 3:23 pm
Banned

Actually, when do I pay taxes? At the end of this fiscal? Or every time I invoice?
Old Apr 8th 2016, 4:09 pm
Binned by Muderators

Actually, when do I pay taxes? At the end of this fiscal? Or every time I invoice?
For GST you get a choice of reporting period subject to your income. You can choose to be an annual filer. In this case you pay the GST three months after the end of your reporting period. If the amount due is more than $3,000 then you will also pay quarterly installments.

If you are billing a US client the rate of tax to charge is zero.

Corporate income tax on active business income is due three months after the fiscal year-end. If the federal tax is more than $3,000 you will also have to pay monthly installments.
Old Apr 8th 2016, 6:52 pm
Banned

Ok guys. Managed to get sorted. Your right I do already have the business number. Jonboy - Can you let me know how I fill in the W-8BEN form? I will be paid in US dollars so really unsure how to fill the form in. If your working remotely for US firm, then how does this work in terms of taxable income?

update.. ooh actually managed to find a good template!
http://ontariotaxmen.ca/w8-ben-e.htm

Last edited by BritCanadaNewbie; Apr 8th 2016 at 6:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.