Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Which Container Company do I choose??

Which Container Company do I choose??

Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Which Container Company do I choose??

I've had quotes from 4 container companies and the prices are very similar within 2-3 hundred pounds, but I don't know which one to choose! Do I go for the cheapest option or the one that offers the most cubic footage???

Here are the quotes from Leigh, Lancashire to Vancouver

Robinsons
£2538 for 500 cubic feet

They were very thorough when they came as they measured everything, but I have heard bad things on here about them charging more if you go slightly over.

Bishop's Move
£2574 for 480 cubic feet

Didn't measure, but wanted to know exactly how many boxes were taking, particuarly the kids' toys.

White & Company
£2725 for 633 cubic feet

Very brief visit and didn't measure anything, think he was in a rush to go home for his tea!

Anglo Pacific
£2862 for 536 cubic feet not to exceed 600 cubic feet

Very professional salesman, felt confident with what he had to say. Even made a follow up a few days later.

So there you have it, they are all so similar and don't know which to go for. Do I go for the most cubic feet?? Out of all 4, the Anglo Pacific salesman was the best, but he was just the salesman and they quoted the most....

Answers on a postcard please!!
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:27 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Container Company do I choose??

Originally Posted by mels123
I've had quotes from 4 container companies and the prices are very similar within 2-3 hundred pounds, but I don't know which one to choose! Do I go for the cheapest option or the one that offers the most cubic footage???

Robinsons
£2538 for 500 cubic feet

They were very thorough when they came as they measured everything, but I have heard bad things on here about them charging more if you go slightly over.

Bishop's Move
£2574 for 480 cubic feet

Didn't measure, but wanted to know exactly how many boxes were taking, particuarly the kids' toys.

White & Company
£2725 for 633 cubic feet

Very brief visit and didn't measure anything, think he was in a rush to go home for his tea!

Anglo Pacific

Very professional salesman, felt confident with what he had to say. Even made a follow up a few days later.

So there you have it, they are all so similar and don't know which to go for. Do I go for the most cubic feet?? Out of all 4, the Anglo Pacific salesman was the best, but he was just the salesman and they quoted the most....

We went with Pickfords and for 500 cubic feet they charged us £2,300. That was them coming in doing all the packing for us, and when they delivered it to us in TO done all the unpacking put the beds together and took away all the rubbish.

All in all it was a pretty good service but it did take a while for our stuff to get here.

Raine

Raine
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:27 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

Robinsons
£2538 for 500 cubic feet

Bishop's Move
£2574 for 480 cubic feet

White & Company
£2725 for 633 cubic feet

Anglo Pacific

Mel,

What is included in your 500 cubic feet. X beds settes, tables etc ???
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Robinsons
£2538 for 500 cubic feet

Bishop's Move
£2574 for 480 cubic feet

White & Company
£2725 for 633 cubic feet

Anglo Pacific

I think you have answered your own question - 2 very thorough and professional, 2 sloppy and couldn't care less

I know that there is more to choosing than the personality of the initial contact from the company. We have decided to go with White & Co - lots of good reviews from previous posters and, whilst the guy that came to our house was a complete numpty, the office "follow up" brigade have been much more on the ball.

Best of luck with whomever you choose
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

mels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of lightmels123 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Buchan6
Mel,

What is included in your 500 cubic feet. X beds settes, tables etc ???
We're not taking any beds apart from one bed frame as it's only a few months old. We are taking a 3 piece suite, a large dining table and 6 chairs, a lot of carpenter tools in a van vault and work bench. I think that will take up a lot of room, but it's for my husband's job. A giant trampoline!!! I know sounds crazy, but it boxes up to the size of a wheely bin and the kids love it. The kids' toys and books will also take up some room, but feel they need familiar things around for them to settle in. A few other bits and pieces but no electrical items, white goods or wardrobes. I think we will need 40% of a 20ft container.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 5:54 pm
The Seldom Seen Kid

Buchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really niceBuchan6 is just really nice

We're not taking any beds apart from one bed frame as it's only a few months old. We are taking a 3 piece suite, a large dining table and 6 chairs, a lot of carpenter tools in a van vault and work bench. I think that will take up a lot of room, but it's for my husband's job. A giant trampoline!!! I know sounds crazy, but it boxes up to the size of a wheely bin and the kids love it. The kids' toys and books will also take up some room, but feel they need familiar things around for them to settle in. A few other bits and pieces but no electrical items, white goods or wardrobes. I think we will need 40% of a 20ft container.
Cheers, just trying to visualise stuff in square metreage, Isnt easy
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 6:35 pm
...in these shoes?

ellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to beholdellsie is a splendid one to behold

3 kids and all our furniture and toys and books and we're getting worried it won't fit in the 40' container. Our friend went to NZ and had to leave stuff behind as it could not be squashed into his 40' container. :scared: We're going with International Moving Company to Van Island at just under £7000 Mind the doors.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

We're not taking any beds apart from one bed frame as it's only a few months old.
Take care, matresses are different sizes here so you might have problems getting one to match the frame.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Take care, matresses are different sizes here so you might have problems getting one to match the frame.
It's an Ikea single bed, are they the same size where ever they sell them? Maybe I'd better check on their Canadian website for the sizes, thanks
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:03 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

watch with the trampoline - I assume it has been used in the garden - my understanding it has to be steam cleaned or something. we decided against taking our garden stuff as it was too much bother and on checking prices on-line was cheaper and nicer over there.

We are though taking boxes and boxes and boxes of toys - yes I know foolish but if it lets the kids settle in easier - also all my clothes - I have been every size and expect to be again so am taking it all with me. don't even mention the boxes of shoes - I tidied up my wardrobe the other day and packed away nearly 50 pairs, that is not including the boxes in the loft. I just see a nice pair of shoes and they are in the trolley (Asda does great shoes!!) - hubbie just turns the trolley the other way if he is with me, I just go back later!!!

we have been quoted by Whites from Glasgow 2400 to Nova Scotia and 2900 for New Brunswick that is for a 20 foot container. we got told to pack things into drawers etc, and were told by another that we weren't paying to transport fresh air so we could just keep packing bags etc, until it was full. Nothing was mentioned about paying extra - I assume this is harder if you are sharing as someone else has paid for their % of the container.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by No1_mom
watch with the trampoline - I assume it has been used in the garden - my understanding it has to be steam cleaned or something.
When PSS packed or our stuff, all we had to do was make sure that it looked clean and sign a form that stated that we had washed it with Jays Fluid.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:28 pm
Reunited

raine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond reputeraine66 has a reputation beyond repute

We brought all our garden stuff and a trampoline and no one questioned any of it.

The only thing that was said at customs when I arrived was that the beds may not be admissable once our stuff arrived in Toronto and OH went down to custom they cleared everything and welcomed him to Canada, and no questions where asked on the contents of our container.

Raine

Last edited by raine66; Oct 2nd 2006 at 11:31 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2006, 11:28 pm
don't fail to research

No1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of lightNo1_mom is a glorious beacon of light

thanks for that, the guys that came to give us quotes told us things like bikes, garden furniture etc, all had to be steam cleaned and you needed something to confirm this was done - I note on ther following site http://www.fidi.com/Public/Members/S...on_CANADA.pdf- they comment on good coming from the UK and possibly having dirt on them.

would at least like to take our bikes

irene
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by raine66
The only thing that was said at customs when I arrived was that the beds may not be admissable once our stuff arrived in Toronto and OH went down to custom they cleared everything and welcomed him to Canada, and no questions where asked on the contents of our container.
Raine
We brought 2 matresses, no problem at all
Old Oct 3rd 2006, 6:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Posidrive
Just checked the Ikea bed sizes and they are different to the UK ones!! So looks like we are going to leave the bed now too unlike we take a new matress with us. Might be just as easy to buy new ones over there.

With regard to the trampoline, they told us just to wash it down and that should be fine.

We'ree still none the wiser which company to use though arrghhhh....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.