Reload this Page >

Consultant Psychiatrist and Barrister looking to move to Canada

Consultant Psychiatrist and Barrister looking to move to Canada

Old Sep 27th 2014, 10:11 pm
Just Joined

SheilaIRL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Consultant Psychiatrist and Barrister looking to move to Canada

Hi All,

I am new to this forum so please forgive any glaring errors.

My boyfriend and I are Irish and are considering immigrating to Canada. Both our qualifications are Irish - I am an Irish qualified Barrister with significant experience in public administrative law and litigation. He is a Consultant Psychiatrist with a UK MRCPsych.

For me in respect of admission to practice at the Canadian Bar - I know that I am required to complete the NCA process and I would almost certainly need to complete some further courses/examinations. I know the process can be difficult and will certainly take some time.

Do Canadian provinces differ radically in terms of the opportunities for foreign qualified lawyers? I am wondering where, if any, there might be an opportunity for me to work while studying for the bar exams?

His qualifications are likely to be readily accorded equivalence - but can anyone provide any practical info on the differences across the provinces for Consultant Psychiatrists. Do certain provinces afford a better work life balance? Anecdotally we have heard that while the money is good the hours are very long with weeks averaging 60+.

What are reasonable salary expectations for a 40 hrs week with call. In addition any information on the fee for service model would be great as we are unfamiliar with how this works in practice.

We met some people from the Saskatchewan Provincial Government and they were quite convincing on the benefits of moving to Regina.

Any assistance you can provide would be wonderful!

Last edited by SheilaIRL; Sep 27th 2014 at 10:14 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Consultant Psychiatrist and Barrister looking to move to Canada

Originally Posted by SheilaIRL
Do Canadian provinces differ radically in terms of the opportunities for foreign qualified lawyers? I am wondering where, if any, there might be an opportunity for me to work while studying for the bar exams?
I have heard that it is difficult for foreign trained lawyers to obtain articles in Ontario.

I have known two from magic circle firms in London that returned to the UK as they were unable to obtain articles.

There is no particular call for foreign trained lawyers in any Canadian city that I am aware of so, as with most things, whether you are successful with obtaining a position will depend upon luck and what you are able to offer an employer.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

SheilaIRL is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers Almost Canadian. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

It is worrying think that UK Magic Circle experience isn't enough

Is Ontario generally the most competitive market? Toronto and Ottawa must be very sought after.
Old Sep 28th 2014, 11:59 pm
Just Joined

Mantoux is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I'm a UK trained psychiatrist who just moved to Alberta. Feel free to PM me any questions you have if you like? Mind you I can only offer info about Alberta.
Old Aug 2nd 2015, 10:42 pm
Just Joined

peechoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mantoux
Hi

I'm a UK trained psychiatrist who just moved to Alberta. Feel free to PM me any questions you have if you like? Mind you I can only offer info about Alberta.
Hello
with regards o working in Alberta,whats the pathway to registration? Im a consultant psychiatrist in England with a CCT in GA and an endorsement in rehab psychiatry. Would I need to do all the exams to work in Alberta?
Much appreciated.Cheers

faisal