Reload this Page >

Construction manager Job Offer

Construction manager Job Offer

Old Apr 4th 2015, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

canadadaydream is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Construction manager Job Offer

Hi

Ive lurked for quite a while but never posted, so I wanted to say hi :-)

Ive had a recent discussion and Job offer from a tier 1 Canadian construction company, and a meet and greet offer, I wanted to discuss negotiations, has anyone successfully negotiated on pay?,

I was expecting a wages drop to get a foot in the door so to say over there but the salaried amount seems quite low(although the bonus scheme etc seems good) even taking an expected drop into consideration, How offended would they be if I try to negotiate a little more, or would this be frowned upon......?
I don't want to scare them off but this would mean a 35k drop from my wages and taking into account my wife wouldn't be working immediately would leave us down to half our current net monthly income.

The few jobs I've seen with a salary expectation range have been a lot higher, Most Canadian vacancies I've seen don't even have a range though so I am not sure where to start, surely if they have been recruiting overseas then salary is negotiable?, are they just starting with a low cheeky offer to see what I say and well go from there.

Also is a car or car allowance a normal thing in Canada, nothing was mentioned ? Any construction people on here who can advise on pay etc?

I am going to ask all these question's top the employer but didn't want to scare them off at first!

Thanks in Advance
Old Apr 4th 2015, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Construction manager Job Offer

Originally Posted by canadadaydream
Hi

Ive had a recent discussion and Job offer from a tier 1 Canadian construction company, and a meet and greet offer, I wanted to discuss negotiations, has anyone successfully negotiated on pay?,

I was expecting a wages drop to get a foot in the door so to say over there but the salaried amount seems quite low(although the bonus scheme etc seems good) even taking an expected drop into consideration, How offended would they be if I try to negotiate a little more, or would this be frowned upon......?
I don't want to scare them off but this would mean a 35k drop from my wages and taking into account my wife wouldn't be working immediately would leave us down to half our current net monthly income.

The few jobs I've seen with a salary expectation range have been a lot higher, Most Canadian vacancies I've seen don't even have a range though so I am not sure where to start, surely if they have been recruiting overseas then salary is negotiable?, are they just starting with a low cheeky offer to see what I say and well go from there.

Also is a car or car allowance a normal thing in Canada, nothing was mentioned ? Any construction people on here who can advise on pay etc?

I am going to ask all these question's top the employer but didn't want to scare them off at first!

Thanks in Advance
It's unlikely a company would deliberately low ball you, but depends on the salary range you have in mind. If you were hoping for $100k and they're at $65k, that's quite a big difference. But if you're hoping for $200k and they're at $165k, it's a different negotiation.

What kind of salary are you looking for, and what area are you looking to move to?
Old Apr 4th 2015, 9:39 pm
Just Joined

Soon2bCanadian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Canadadaydream. How are you basing the 35k salary drop? I came across last year as a PM to a tier 1 construction company, and took a slight salary drop to do that. The dollar however is at record lows against sterling (assuming you're based in UK) and I wonder whether that thwarts your interpretation of a salary drop much or not.

Have they offered you a package to move across? Flights, initial accommodation, lump cash sum etc? Generally they don't do car allowances here, and I didn't get offered one. To be honest, that's one of the things I wished I'd debated with prior to agreeing, as it takes out the hassle of finding a car and insurance once you're over here.

Your salary will make a difference depending upon which part of Canada you are looking to move to, but as a Construction Manager, I'd expect you'd be offered a very comfortable salary above the national average whichever part of Canada they are looking to locate you to.

It maybe wouldn't hurt to negotiate terms better if you're really worried it's not enough. There is always the risk that if they pitch too low and you are a success here, that you'd be poached by somebody else, so they will be mindful of being too low. Good luck - you are in a fortunate position to have been offered a job whilst still in the UK (?), thousands would love to be in your position, exciting times!!
Old Apr 4th 2015, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Thanks in Advance
I'm a Superintendent (UK Site Manager) over here, been here since November 1st last year, what position are you? and what was your background in the UK?

I could probably give some insight, pm me for a chat

Regards
Old Apr 5th 2015, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Car allowances are usually quite poor in Canada (where offered) and 'company cars' are rare in the construction industry, as they are in general in Canada. Insurance costs are high and so eat into that poor allowance.

Companies would rather lease you a vehicle because it is cheaper for them and there is no advantage tax-wise anyway. You pay much less tax on a company vehicle than you would on the car allowance here.

You will probably be offered a mid-range 4 door pick-up truck, such as an F150, Ram 1500 or GMC Sierra. Cloth trim. It will also be excepted to carry stuff to sites on occasion...

As for salaries, ignoring the oil patch (where you probably wouldn't get a job right now anyway), my experience (as someone in a similar position to you) is that you should expect a salary at around $2=£1 conversion rate IF you currently work outside London or Aberdeen say - i.e. based on normal UK industry wages. So £60k = $120k for example.

You might get relocation assistance - I got $10k, repayable if I left within 2 years.

If they are employing you via a Work Permit route, they are only allowed to pay you similar to a Canadian doing the same job.

Don't forget you will probably only get 3 weeks annual holiday + the stat holidays.

Last edited by withabix; Apr 5th 2015 at 2:58 pm.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 8:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies, I'll pm once I have more posts.

I just worked the drop out on the current exchange rate, it's actually a £35k drop so worse than a $35 figure.

Yes I've been offered relocation assistance 5k cash then up to 10 k with receipts, and 3 months accommodation.

Weve crunched numbers and I don't think we could manage comfortably on the offer, I'm leaving behind a son at university here in the uk and taking the rest of the family, so I'll be negotiating with them.

I work In london in the uk for a main contractor and manage mid - large size projects with mixed experience schools , offices, timber frame , modular etc.
Old Apr 6th 2015, 12:40 pm
Proudly Scarberian

Pizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond reputePizzawheel has a reputation beyond repute

Just as an aside timber frame , modular are both pretty cutting edge over here, not the norm at all (I'm thinking high rise timber rather than housebuilding) so you could pitch them as a differentiator.
Old Apr 7th 2015, 12:32 am
Just Joined

Soon2bCanadian is an unknown quantity at this point

What part of Canada are they looking to relocate you? As Withabix said, 2 for 1 ratio is probably based on those who aren't currently working in London - do you know roughly what salary your position would attract in the UK outside of the capital? I expect that living costs in most of Canada would be significantly lower than London living costs, but maybe if you're going to be getting sent to Vancouver downtown then perhaps not.

3 months accommodation is good - I am assuming they are also paying for flights for your family, or are you expected to take it from the 5/10k allowance?

It might be worth asking if they'll fly you across so you can see where you will be working/meet people/possibly negotiate better with them face to face? It would show them that you are genuinely interested in the offer. I met with my employers a few months before I came out, and it put me at ease deciding to make the move across!
Old Apr 7th 2015, 2:25 am
Just Joined

gibjam is an unknown quantity at this point

I am a year into my Canadian Dream based in Winnipeg, Manitoba and work as an Estimator (was a QS in UK London). I moved for par, and was given a 15k relocation allowance. I would say anything over $100k should see you OK unless you're located in one of the major centers. I support my Wife and 2 kids (wife works part time for about $10kpa). We live in a decent neighborhood in a nice house. We have one vehicle. Company vehicle are really only reserved for superintendents

I found/finding the first year tough having lots of expenses as we are buying everything new as we bought nothing from the UK, and the expenses for Perm Residency throws anything you trying to save.

Hi

Thanks in Advance
Old Apr 8th 2015, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gibjam
Company vehicle are really only reserved for superintendents
Most of our Project Managers (except bottom level ones) and everyone upwards has a 4-door truck. Only one Estimator has one and he is from PM background and is a long standing employee.

These are more 'company car' spec (one small discrete logo) than the Superintendents' trucks, which are 2-door, in company colours and a mobile advertising hoarding.

I did have a 4-door advertising hoarding, but that has recently been consigned back to the office as a pool vehicle. Maybe that means I'm a keeper...

At least none of ours are yellow...

Last edited by withabix; Apr 8th 2015 at 11:50 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:42 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the responses guys, have emailed and scheduled Skype conversation, will let you know how it goes, very helpful information.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

happyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond reputehappyhammers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Most of our Project Managers (except bottom level ones) and everyone upwards has a 4-door truck. Only one Estimator has one and he is from PM background and is a long standing employee.

These are more 'company car' spec (one small discrete logo) than the Superintendents' trucks, which are 2-door, in company colours and a mobile advertising hoarding.

I did have a 4-door advertising hoarding, but that has recently been consigned back to the office as a pool vehicle. Maybe that means I'm a keeper...

At least none of ours are yellow...
Is that PCL yellow?

I take it you don't work for them then?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

No, not them! Quite a few GCs in BC have yellow trucks...
Old Apr 9th 2015, 9:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by withabix
No, not them! Quite a few GCs in BC have yellow trucks...
That canary yellow is a bad colour!!

How's the work in BC now
Old Apr 10th 2015, 8:48 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the replies and PM'S guys, Im due to speak with them again today so will let you know how I got on....lets hope I just mixed up and its better than it sounds!...maybe they meant £ not $!. x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.