Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Considerations on preliminary residence in the GTA

Considerations on preliminary residence in the GTA

Old Aug 6th 2015, 9:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Considerations on preliminary residence in the GTA

Hello folks,

having joined successfully the traditional C.O.P.P.Ps here on B.E. (Club of Proud Ping Pongers ), my wife and I (PR) are now preparing for our way back to Canada, this time it will be either the Greater Vancouver Area or Ontario. Ontario offers more job opportunities for OH (Quality Control/Microbiology in the pharmaceutical industry), so the final decision is still to come.
But for now I would like to focus on Ontario, one thing is for sure: once there we will have to relocate again, closer to work most likely, but where could/should we start best for the first months?
We are not into buying, so house prices do not matter really, it will be renting. Fantastic would be to find a place with a pedestrian zone or main street and a vibrant community, nightlife however is no longer on our most wanted list.
Possible employers are located between
Hamilton/Cambridge/Kitchner/Waterloo/Burlington/Brampton/Mississauga/Toronto/Ajax and beyond, and that’s where things get complicated.
I know it is kinda: By the way, mate, we are looking for work in the UK, where should we stay?
So I am just looking for remarks, perhaps some ideas.
And last but not least (starting perhaps another avalanche )
I have to admit that I am somehow attracted by the charm of the Hammer.
Somewhere between North York/Vaughan/Richmond Hill/Markham/Newmarket could also do the trick, right?

Thanks a bunch in advance.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Nori is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considerations on preliminary residence in the GTA

Hi Conmar,

As I have been in your position and I thought I would offer you some suggestions (only my opinion and definitely not definitive).

I have lived in both greater metropolitan areas of Toronto (North York) and Vancouver (West End). In Canada these are both huge areas so I would suggest that you narrow your focus. Both Vancouver and Toronto have a lot to offer and both couldn't be more different.

The Toronto GTA is of course larger, more multinational and has more job opportunities than Vancouver, however you have to remember the winter months. November - April is extremely cold and unless you love winter it is something to keep in mind. Jan - April are probably the worst months. Vancouver gets a significant amount of rain (sometimes 10 months) so some people prefer the cold and snow to rain.

Deep freeze breaking southern Ontario weather records | CTV News

If you live in the North part of the GTA there is a paid expressway (assuming you have a car) called the "407" that runs the full length of the GTA. Public transportation called the "GO Bus" or "GO Train" is also extensive, reliable and relatively comfortable. Local public transportation in Toronto "TTC" is also very reliable.

North York is very central and you have easy access to the highways (410 and 407) and buses (TTC and GO) and subway(Tube). There are (green belt areas) parks that run the length of North York down into the city core so bike riding is pleasantly good. Suggest you start search for a place in the core area of North York along Yonge Street near the "North York Civic Centre" as there are lots of apartment and condo rentals in the area and you have shopes and the "main street".

One of Toronto's best kept secrets is the High Park area. West of the city core, High Park is an urban Park (green area) close to the lake, TTC (Tube) and downtown Toronto. I suggest you use Google maps street view to take a look at the different areas. The apartments and condos is this area are older but there are also many short term rentals.

"Hamilton/Cambridge/Kitchner/Waterloo/Burlington/Brampton/Mississauga" are of course not as central to the GTA but each community offers some thing unique. Until you find work I wouldn't suggest these areas as they are not central to the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). I have family living in all these areas.

I think that by far the best kept secret in Canada is Vancouver (West End). There you have easy access to the Ocean, mountains , parks, city life and the best skiing in Canada at Whistler Blackcomb. There you can have a more relaxed life style, lots of outdooor living. The economy is not as vibrant so there are fewer employers BUT the quality of life is significantly better (only my opinion). The Vancouver "West End" is a great area to start as there are lots of apartment rentals it is minutes to Stanley Park, the largest urban park in Canada, the Ocean and sea wall, the mountains and the city (5 - 10 minute walk). Nelson Street in the West End is a good area to start you search and then consider other areas like the Kitsilano, North Van or North Shore areas. Try the apartments at 2050 Nelson Street (reasonable rents, great management, and fantastic views of the city, ocean , parks and mountains) Kerrisdale is a neighborhood in the city of Vancouver, that is quite nice (main street), good restaurants, relatively close to the city core area (15 minutes by bus).

Although dated take a look at this article.

Is Toronto world-class? - The Globe and Mail

The Economist magazine listed its top liveable cities in the world, basing their rankings on a number of factors including stability, health care, culture, environment, education and infrastructure.

Canada scored very well. Three Canadian cities – Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary – ranked in the Top 10.

Here’s the Top 10 list of liveable world-class cities around the world:

1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada

5. Adelaide, Australia
6. Calgary, Canada
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand
Source: The Economist Intelligence Unit

If I were in your shoes and had to make a choice these are the areas I would consider. My personal bias is for Vancouver. Good luck hope this helps.

Suggest you use Google Street View to get a feel for the areas you are looking at.

Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 12:49 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Guelph. Reasonably located for everywhere on your list except Ajax. Pedestrian friendly if you rent "downtown", near Exhibition Park or on the hill across the river from the centre. It's a bit hipster and a bit methy but probably counts as a "vibrant community". Cheap, relative to Toronto.

Wherever you start you'll probably want to move once you have a job.
Old Aug 6th 2015, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Conmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond reputeConmar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Guelph. Reasonably located for everywhere on your list except Ajax. Pedestrian friendly if you rent "downtown", near Exhibition Park or on the hill across the river from the centre. It's a bit hipster and a bit methy but probably counts as a "vibrant community". Cheap, relative to Toronto.

Wherever you start you'll probably want to move once you have a job.
Thanks DBD, already looking forward to moving ahead once a job is secured ,
just in need of our outpost for the beginning.

Now seriously, with that always in mind perhaps we will manage to find a nice place and later on a job not too far away
(by Canadian standards, of course ). I have to admit, last time I underestimated the first one and overestimated the latter.
Anyway such is life and .......happens.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Nori,

how strange, yesterday your answer was not shown when I accessed B.E. via my android tablet.

Thanks a million for your kind and extensive answer, very very helpful indeed.

Never been to Toronto, but we have in fact been to Van before (in 2012), we lived roundabout a month in North Van,Lonsdale area, to be precise, and I was also considering Kits, North Van, Burnaby, perhaps Port Moody/Coquitlam. Admitted, I forgot completely the West End. Excellent hint.
During that time we explored the area, took extensive walks through the city, from the Seabus all the way down to e.g. Granville Market and beyond, to give you an idea. It was indeed a great time.

The idea of snow and ice does not deter me being a proud former Pegger , however OH definitely is well less enthusiastic to put it this way .
Still love Peg, but for several reasons - the weather being definitely only a minor problem - I could not convince OH to return.

Perhaps we will start in Van and see how things will have developed jobwise after say 6 months, and move on to the GTA, if required. Hopefully not - because of the idea of moving again, not because of the GTA, don't get me wrong, it is high time to settle down and get rooted again., honestly,we are tired as can be.

Thanks also for your good wishes,appreciated.

Originally Posted by Nori
Hi Conmar,

As I have been in your position and I thought I would offer you some suggestions (only my opinion and definitely not definitive).

I have lived in both greater metropolitan areas of Toronto (North York) and Vancouver (West End). In Canada these are both huge areas so I would suggest that you narrow your focus. Both Vancouver and Toronto have a lot to offer and both couldn't be more different.

The Toronto GTA is of course larger, more multinational and has more job opportunities than Vancouver, however you have to remember the winter months. November - April is extremely cold and unless you love winter it is something to keep in mind. Jan - April are probably the worst months. Vancouver gets a significant amount of rain (sometimes 10 months) so some people prefer the cold and snow to rain.

Deep freeze breaking southern Ontario weather records | CTV News

If you live in the North part of the GTA there is a paid expressway (assuming you have a car) called the "407" that runs the full length of the GTA. Public transportation called the "GO Bus" or "GO Train" is also extensive, reliable and relatively comfortable. Local public transportation in Toronto "TTC" is also very reliable.

North York is very central and you have easy access to the highways (410 and 407) and buses (TTC and GO) and subway(Tube). There are (green belt areas) parks that run the length of North York down into the city core so bike riding is pleasantly good. Suggest you start search for a place in the core area of North York along Yonge Street near the "North York Civic Centre" as there are lots of apartment and condo rentals in the area and you have shopes and the "main street".

One of Toronto's best kept secrets is the High Park area. West of the city core, High Park is an urban Park (green area) close to the lake, TTC (Tube) and downtown Toronto. I suggest you use Google maps street view to take a look at the different areas. The apartments and condos is this area are older but there are also many short term rentals.

"Hamilton/Cambridge/Kitchner/Waterloo/Burlington/Brampton/Mississauga" are of course not as central to the GTA but each community offers some thing unique. Until you find work I wouldn't suggest these areas as they are not central to the Greater Toronto Area (GTA). I have family living in all these areas.

I think that by far the best kept secret in Canada is Vancouver (West End). There you have easy access to the Ocean, mountains , parks, city life and the best skiing in Canada at Whistler Blackcomb. There you can have a more relaxed life style, lots of outdooor living. The economy is not as vibrant so there are fewer employers BUT the quality of life is significantly better (only my opinion). The Vancouver "West End" is a great area to start as there are lots of apartment rentals it is minutes to Stanley Park, the largest urban park in Canada, the Ocean and sea wall, the mountains and the city (5 - 10 minute walk). Nelson Street in the West End is a good area to start you search and then consider other areas like the Kitsilano, North Van or North Shore areas. Try the apartments at 2050 Nelson Street (reasonable rents, great management, and fantastic views of the city, ocean , parks and mountains) Kerrisdale is a neighborhood in the city of Vancouver, that is quite nice (main street), good restaurants, relatively close to the city core area (15 minutes by bus).

Although dated take a look at this article.

Is Toronto world-class? - The Globe and Mail

The Economist magazine listed its top liveable cities in the world, basing their rankings on a number of factors including stability, health care, culture, environment, education and infrastructure.

Canada scored very well. Three Canadian cities – Vancouver, Toronto and Calgary – ranked in the Top 10.

Here’s the Top 10 list of liveable world-class cities around the world:

1. Melbourne, Australia
2. Vienna, Austria
3. Vancouver, Canada
4. Toronto, Canada

5. Adelaide, Australia
6. Calgary, Canada
7. Sydney, Australia
8. Helsinki, Finland
9. Perth, Australia
10. Auckland, New Zealand
Source: The Economist Intelligence Unit

If I were in your shoes and had to make a choice these are the areas I would consider. My personal bias is for Vancouver. Good luck hope this helps.

Suggest you use Google Street View to get a feel for the areas you are looking at.

Good luck with your move.
Old Sep 30th 2015, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Just a short update, kinda Decision Made 2.0.After long discussions we have finally made up our mind, and the winner is.....the Greater Vancouver Area. A different kind of Christmas present, so to say. Hooray, we are finally heading back to Canada, in December to be precise. And off we go.

Last edited by Conmar; Sep 30th 2015 at 6:05 pm.