Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Confused.. Why Canada?

Confused.. Why Canada?

Old Nov 4th 2007, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Confused.. Why Canada?

Originally Posted by mc_dub
I've no interest in Europe or somewhere with a warmer climate, if I did I'd head to Oz or California or would have gone for that interview in Malaga.
And I am absolutely the opposite. Having lived in N America all my life, including numerous places in the US, I am tired of it. I have no interest in living in N America. In fact, I even have a US greencard and could move to So Cali or Florida, if I just wanted a warmer climate. But, that is not enough.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

mc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud ofmc_dub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
And I am absolutely the opposite. Having lived in N America all my life, including numerous places in the US, I am tired of it. I have no interest in living in N America. In fact, I even have a US greencard and could move to So Cali or Florida, if I just wanted a warmer climate. But, that is not enough.
That was explaining to Peter why I wouldn't consider what you were doing as trying to rub it in our faces, not making a point to you
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:14 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
I don't think that's fair.

A lot of people work from home and they are normal people. They have just made different decisions about how to live their lives and those decisions have pros and cons.

I decided 15 years ago that I preferred not going to a job but working for myself from home. It suits me and it works for me. There is no gun pointing at people's heads forcing them to commute to a job.

Relating back to one of the OP points: "Here people live a commuter lifestyle, not much different from the UK."

Sometimes I shake my head when I read threads on here by people wanting to "start a new life!!!!" in Canada as they are sick of the rat race in the UK, yet they go about making decisions that re-create a similar way of living that caused them so much frustration in the UK ("Can someone recommen an area an hours commute from downtown?" ... and I wonder why don't they try changing how they live in the UK rather than moving to a foreign country? (I'm not referring to people that are 'pulled' to Canada.)
Peas is talking a lot of sense - I love working from home and not having the hassle, stress and cost of a commute any more. The times I need to go to Vancouver for business is a big chore. Sitting in traffic for several hours to drive between places like White Rock, Abbotsford, Langley and Richmond is fine once or twice a month, but to do it everyday....? No thanks, the congestion and commute was one reason I wanted a lifestyle change from the UK.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
Peas is talking a lot of sense - I love working from home and not having the hassle, stress and cost of a commute any more. The times I need to go to Vancouver for business is a big chore. Sitting in traffic for several hours to drive between places like White Rock, Abbotsford, Langley and Richmond is fine once or twice a month, but to do it everyday....? No thanks, the congestion and commute was one reason I wanted a lifestyle change from the UK.
Ditto. Although here in Ottawa it's the weekend driving I find the chore, everyone and their aunty Ada are out and about. Weekdays it's sublime, unless I have to go right into downtown, but that's rare.
Although I would have to do a re-check on the "normal people work from home", I wouldn't consider myself to be normal. But then maybe my definition is different to HWP's.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:48 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Peas is talking a lot of sense

Originally Posted by steve666
I wouldn't consider myself to be normal. But then maybe my definition is different to HWP's.

I doubt it, Steve.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 5:54 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Peas sometimes make sense, particularly with a roast dinner
Happier?
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Yet this is what you posted on page 1:

I think you are looking at Toronto through rose tinted glasses. I would have to disagree with you that these things are much worse in the UK. I lived in London for 5 years in the early Nineties and have lived in Toronto for over 10 years, so I think I can make a good comparision. (sic)

I resisted the temptation (until now) to comment on your post where you admitted that you can stay home all day, don't need to meet clients, and that you are still single. This certainly suits someone who is so aggressive and rude to other posters, just because they are not answering your questions.

Trollers, like liars, need a good memory.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:33 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hah! Busted.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

South Ealing and Harrow are both great areas. I haven't been to Harrow for a while, but Ealing seems the same to me, with a couple of more expensive bars.

And this is one of the things I hate about N America in general. The town centres are depressing places and there is no place where you see a lively gathering of people. You have to either go to the mall or in the case of Toronto to a few streets downtown. But, that is about it.
Our friends took us to the Toronto Greek district... what a great place... like greece but the streets were covered in ice... everybody seemed to still be enjoying themselves... you'll find what you're looking for if you look hard enough.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

It appears a lot of posters on here work from home, a luxury I would love.

There was me thinking that 99% of people have to travel to work. Maybe a topic for a poll.

Nurses, tradesmen, doctors, administrators, secretaries, teachers are just some people who cannot do this.

Being single and having the ability to work from anywhere opens up your horizons no end I should imagine. Language is not a barrier and as you point out could be learned whilst there.

I have a friend whose decided to set up his own internet business and moved to Thailand to develop it. He rents a nice apartment where his yearly rent is the same as a month in the UK and everything is cheap. This gives him the ability to live whilst the business is grown.

Your point about living in London in the early 90's and it being great, I pointed out that I too, lived in London in the early 90's and thought it was great, I returned 10 years later and guess what, no longer so great, so I can't see why you maintain the argument.

There was a difference though, early 90's, after divorce, renting with friends enjoying a new found freedom. 10 years later married (happily) and struggling to maintain a mortgage.

Lets look at mortgages, the rule in the UK was always 3 times main earner plus second earner. Lets say one earns 25K, the other 30K, reasonable salaries in London for average working people, thats a mortgage of 115K tops. My tiny 2 bed flat is currently worth about 270K, so thats a deposit of 155K needed!!!

That's London, the problem is, outside London the prices are also rising, not as large, but the average salaries are lower.

I loved the nightlife possibilities in London, just couldn't afford to take advantage of them.

One thing I will agree is food, food at restaurants here in Canada in the main is crap, most 'restaurants' are glorified burger joints, for god's sake they even call subway a restaurant!

I don't live in Toronto, I presume the choice is more, I found a very nice restaurant last night here in Vancouver, where I'm on business at the moment.

Where I live there are two or three decent restaurants the rest are grill chains, where you can get steaks, ribs, wings and of course burgers. (Not brilliant for a vegetarian).

I'd like it to be better, but I knew what i would get here so I won't complain.

As far as the cold, some don't mind it as much. remember one man's meat is another mans poison.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

Polar Bear will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by lauder99
Mostly the fact that that growth is concentrated at the top end of the earnings scale. the gap between rich and poor is growing rapidly. A large portion of the growth is driven exclusively by house prices because we cant build enough houses to keep the supply anywhere near the demand. Its now so bad that if the government created some means of delivering the houses quickly it would have a huge negative effect on the economy.

Couples and families are finding themselves working longer and harder for less in lifestyle terms not money terms. People have had enough, the desire for a work- life balance is overtaking the desire for cash which your only going to plough into a huge mortgage.

You don't like Toronto we get that, we all feel the same about the places we live. The people on this forum and no doubt the other forums spend a lot of time here researching, questioning and most spend a fair amount of cash visiting the places they want to spend their lives/raise their kids. I for one am more interested in the opportunities that my kids will get out of Canada than those I will. Just because you don't understand our reasons doesn't make them less reasonable, sensible or well researched. I wouldn't move to Spain under any circumstances but good luck to you. Not many people here are under much illusion about what to expect in Canada.
You know what's wrong with Spain? to many English
Old Nov 4th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
You know what's wrong with Spain? to many English
I've heard that said more than a few times
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:03 pm
Forum Regular

bobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nicebobcaygeonjon is just really nice

Originally Posted by rwin
I bet people in Spain and Italy are leaving those countries for the same reasons.

Except for the wood frame, drywall houses (I guess - what are houses in Spain and Italy built out of?)

Concrete!
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

steve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond reputesteve666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
I've heard that said more than a few times
Only in southern Spain, we have Spanish friends who live about 40 Kilometres south of Santander and we were objects of much curiosity when visiting.
Old Nov 4th 2007, 8:52 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve666
...and we were objects of much curiosity when visiting.
But was that just because you were from the UK or were there other reasons you aren't telling us about?

I'll get me coat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.