Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:02 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

There is usually a reason why some houses are so much cheaper than others, good rule of thumb is the closer to Toronto, or the easier the commute the more $$$ you will pay.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point

What's Guelph like then?

Private Sale: 49 Candlewood Drive, Guelph, Ontario - PropertyGuys.com

And how do you pronouce it.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:08 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
There is usually a reason why some houses are so much cheaper than others, good rule of thumb is the closer to Toronto, or the easier the commute the more $$$ you will pay.
Also the immediate location, the Barrie one linked above is close to Costco. Ordinarily, I'd say that the street of big box stores is not the better part of town, in Mississauga or Oakville, for example, they're all north of the QEW while the nice houses are to the south. In Barrie however, I might choose that part of town (if I thought the house wasn't prone to flooding).
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

At a glance I'd say that house is probably poorly built, jammed in next to other ones, far from pubs and restaurants and likely prone to basement flooding. Still, it is big, if big and cheap is all that counts it might be for you.
That particular one is also on a corner lot and has absolutely no privacy in the garden. Compared to some though, its not that badly jammed in, and it does give an indication of the size of house they can get for their money there. I would suggest that you don't commit to buying anything until you have given the commute a good try.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
What's Guelph like then?

Private Sale: 49 Candlewood Drive, Guelph, Ontario - PropertyGuys.com

And how do you pronouce it.
Rhymes with Elf, with GW in front.

Dbd33 is our resident Guelph expert so I await his assessment.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:24 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I rented for the first two years here, I would advise some one to rent for at least a year as you know nothing about where you will be living or commuting from at first
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Rhymes with Elf, with GW in front.

Dbd33 is our resident Guelph expert so I await his assessment.
I am in Gwelf at this very moment. I lived in Gwelf for a while. It's a small university town (pop 200,000 or so) too far from Toronto to commute unless you can take the GO train (2 a day each way) and work right by Union Station.

That house is also near Costco. It's a new Costco and sells boats as well as the usual run of steaks and televisions. The car park isn't really big enough. Guelph has some lovely areas but that's not one of them.

I suppose I should declare a position here. I think houses built in housing projects in southern Ontario in the last 30 years are pretty much interchangable and I'd be reluctant to live in any of them. The difference between one in Brampton and one in Guelph is just that the former costs more and is more likely to smell of curry. The difference between one in Guelph and one in Barrie is that the occupants of the former are more likely to have teeth and less likely to have to facial tattoos.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:32 pm
Assimilated Pauper

I rented for the first two years here, I would advise some one to rent for at least a year as you know nothing about where you will be living or commuting from at first
Yes. Absolutely. That's true of any country but especially Canada as the cost of purchase and sale of houses is very high here.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

The difference between one in Guelph and one in Barrie is that the occupants of the former are more likely to have teeth and less likely to have to facial tattoos.

For the OP:- you should ignore comments like this from him. He has a warped sense of humour and/or beliefs. The people living in Barrie look no different than those living in Guelph. For good, hard-working people it's a fine place to live.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

I am in Gwelf at this very moment. I lived in Gwelf for a while. It's a small university town (pop 200,000 or so) too far from Toronto to commute unless you can take the GO train (2 a day each way) and work right by Union Station.

That house is also near Costco. It's a new Costco and sells boats as well as the usual run of steaks and televisions. The car park isn't really big enough. Guelph has some lovely areas but that's not one of them.

I suppose I should declare a position here. I think houses built in housing projects in southern Ontario in the last 30 years are pretty much interchangable and I'd be reluctant to live in any of them. The difference between one in Brampton and one in Guelph is just that the former costs more and is more likely to smell of curry. The difference between one in Guelph and one in Barrie is that the occupants of the former are more likely to have teeth and less likely to have to facial tattoos.
I knew you wouldn't let us down.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
The difference between one in Guelph and one in Barrie is that the occupants of the former are more likely to have teeth and less likely to have to facial tattoos.

For the OP:- you should ignore comments like this from him. He has a warped sense of humour and/or beliefs. The people living in Barrie look no different than those living in Guelph. For good, hard-working people it's a fine place to live.
Face tats are mostly found in south Oshawa, near The Coral.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Face tats are mostly found in south Oshawa, near The Coral.
My daughter said this week "I wish I could take a camera to work, every day I see I contender for 'worse tat evah' and I'm only looking at faces."
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
Like the people living in Romford are no different from those living in Guildford. It's only money and social class and education and propensity to crime and taste in clothes and gun ownership and that sort of thing that differentiates them.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

My daughter said this week "I wish I could take a camera to work, every day I see I contender for 'worse tat evah' and I'm only looking at faces."
I don't think I have ever seen a face tattoo, which, considering I spend a lot of my time in a Walmart, is quite surprising. I obviously lead a very sheltered life, I am going to spend the rest of my day looking.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 6:13 pm

You will see plenty at Simcoe st and 401, near Tims and Coral in Oshwa. Also if u wait long time u will see the ladies of the night patrolling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.