Reload this Page >

Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

Old Aug 29th 2014, 1:56 pm
Forum Regular

neneromanova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

Hi again

Looks like the only way we'll get over is either I get a holiday work permit before I turn 30 (2 1/2 years) or Hubby gets a job offer. The second is looking more likely than the first. But we'll see.

Anyway.

I LOVE the look of the houses in Barrie. What is Barrie like as a place to live? And also for Hubby to commute to Toronto as that's more than likely where he'll be working. I've seen the GO transport but is it any good? How about in winter when it snows?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Commuting from Barrie to Toronto

The GO system is quite good, overall. It has occasional problems like any other transport systems around the world. The winter snow has little or no effect on it.
There are, for reasons that confuse me, some Barrie haters on here. IMHO, it's a pleasant smaller city and a good place to live. Lots of summer/winter recreational activities.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Be interesting to find out why people don't like Barrie It's just I've been looking for houses with a budget of $400k (aiming more to $350k though) and they all seem huge. 4 beds upstairs which is what we want and 2 in the basement (again what we'd like for visiting family.)

Is there anywhere else that you (Or anyone else) can think of that has that size house for that price and is commutable to Toronto?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 3:55 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

West Hamilton and Burlington

East Pickering, Ajax and Whitby

Both the above areas have access to a GO train every 30 mins

Barrie is nice, but a long commute and restrictive GO time table
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neneromanova
Hi again

Looks like the only way we'll get over is either I get a holiday work permit before I turn 30 (2 1/2 years) or Hubby gets a job offer. The second is looking more likely than the first. But we'll see.

Anyway.

I LOVE the look of the houses in Barrie. What is Barrie like as a place to live? And also for Hubby to commute to Toronto as that's more than likely where he'll be working. I've seen the GO transport but is it any good? How about in winter when it snows?

Unlike Britain where an inch of snow causes transport problem, Canada is very well equipped to deal with them so the snow won't have any effect.

It is also possible to drive from Barrie to Toronto by going straight down Highway 400. I know several people who live in Barrie, or near Barrie, who do that commute.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:05 pm

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Not much fun in summer, on a Friday, at 5pm going north on the 400.

Same can be said going east too same time :@( lucky I come off at Westney tho, just as it bottle necks /@)
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

yeah i've heard about the 400 during summer so wanted to stick with the train. I'll try those other places mentioned though Thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by magnumpi
West Hamilton and Burlington

East Pickering, Ajax and Whitby

Both the above areas have access to a GO train every 30 mins

Barrie is nice, but a long commute and restrictive GO time table
I really don't think they will find the type of house they are describing in Burlington for less than $400k.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I really don't think they will find the type of house they are describing in Burlington for less than $400k.
Yeah I'm finding that out now

How about Orangeville?
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:27 pm

How about Orangeville?
Did u try the other places yet, the lakeshore GO is great for commuting into Toronto
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

None of those places have the kind of house I would LOVE to live in. And Burlington I can't afford

See, this is GORGEOUS in Barrie. 12 Lakewoods Crt , BARRIE, Ontario - RE/MAX Ultimate

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:46 pm

None of those places have the kind of house I would LOVE to live in. And Burlington I can't afford

See, this is GORGEOUS in Barrie. 12 Lakewoods Crt , BARRIE, Ontario - RE/MAX Ultimate

That's the kind of thing I'm looking for.
Oh my, very nice, I see why Barrie is an option for some. Same as Courtice, Newcasle and Port Perry I expect, just a crappy commute time.

http://www.homefinder.ca/listings/26...tario-e2998602

Last edited by magnumpi; Aug 29th 2014 at 4:48 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

How about Orangeville?
I commuted to Toronto from near there. It was 1hr 15min consistently in the morning and 2 1/2 to 4 hours in the evening. I suggest getting a car with a good radio and a subscription to Sirius.

I am a Barrie hater. I won't get into that again but I will say that a colleague lives there and his wife commutes to Toronto, she drives because there are few trains and she's not free to adjust her schedule to suit them. She counts on 2 hours 15 each way. He used to drive just to Markham and says driving here, Guelph, is quicker and less stressful.

At a glance I'd say that house is probably poorly built, jammed in next to other ones, far from pubs and restaurants and likely prone to basement flooding. Still, it is big, if big and cheap is all that counts it might be for you.

Last edited by dbd33; Aug 29th 2014 at 4:55 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

How about Orangeville?
I am not so familiar with Orangeville prices but I would say cheaper than Burlington but more expensive than Barrie. Also I think (open for correction on this if anyone knows better) that the GO to Orangeville is via a bus route, ie. take the train to Brampton and then bus to Orangeville.

Magnumpi is absolutely correct that the Lakeshore GO route is the best one.
Old Aug 29th 2014, 4:58 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
I am not so familiar with Orangeville prices but I would say cheaper than Burlington but more expensive than Barrie. Also I think (open for correction on this if anyone knows better) that the GO to Orangeville is via a bus route, ie. take the train to Brampton and then bus to Orangeville.
Yes. Orangeville itself though is quite nice. Except for the new subdivisiony bits.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.