Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Claim UK State pension in Canada

Claim UK State pension in Canada

Old Dec 27th 2023, 8:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Claim UK State pension in Canada

Please may I just confirm that the form I need to complete to claim my UK state pension here in Canada is:: IPL BR1 GOV NSP 12/15?

I only have approximate dates for some employment and addresses in the UK. I hope this will be okay.

Thank you
Old Dec 27th 2023, 10:00 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Claim UK State pension in Canada

You can do it over the phone, much easier than filling in forms.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 10:23 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't yet reached retirement age, and have less than 35 years of contributions, you would probably be eligible to pay for additional "voluntary" years at a very attractive ("Class 2") rate.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 10:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
You can do it over the phone, much easier than filling in forms.
hi thanks very much ... have you got a link for this so I can phone?
Old Dec 27th 2023, 10:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

If they have your current address they send a letter 2-3 months before your state pension date with the phone number to call.
Old Dec 27th 2023, 10:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If they have your current address they send a letter 2-3 months before your state pension date with the phone number to call.
Thank you. They should have my current address (I got a pension forecast from them a few years back. HMRC also have my address) but I have not received a letter.

I have found a number. +44 (0) 191 218 7777 so I will try calling tomorrow.

PS: Can you really do the claim all on the phone?

Thank you again.

Last edited by Snowy560; Dec 27th 2023 at 10:50 pm.
Old Dec 28th 2023, 10:22 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
That's what I was expecting for mine but they never did - ironic given who I used to work for - and I had to do mine the old fashioned way.
(albeit printing the form off and posting it)
Old Dec 28th 2023, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Update: I filled in the online contact form. I got an email back overnight saying I could fill in the form and mail it or apply over the phone.
I called this morning. It took about 25 minutes.

Thanks to all who responded on this thread.
Old Dec 28th 2023, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks... I agree the form is hard work and I also agree they didn't ask me half of the Qs when I called this morning.
Old Dec 29th 2023, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh yes ... I know the pension is fixed and you don't get the increases but what I did not know was that deferring it would not enable me to get a higher amount if there's an increase before I want it to start. The agent said it was fixed to the rate at when you become eligible. Does this sound right ?
Old Dec 29th 2023, 1:02 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snowy560
Oh yes ... I know the pension is fixed and you don't get the increases but what I did not know was that deferring it would not enable me to get a higher amount if there's an increase before I want it to start. The agent said it was fixed to the rate at when you become eligible. Does this sound right ?
Yes.
I had that exact question last year. My eligible date was the week before the annual increase - and it was a bigger increase than usual.

I wanted to claim it from the week after and then have it frozen at the higher rate, quickly recovering a lost week and then gaining in the long run, but they told me it was based on eligible date, not after.
Old Dec 29th 2023, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

Thanks... I agree the form is hard work and I also agree they didn't ask me half of the Qs when I called this morning.
That's interesting.
I was mildly irritated that despite my pension being based solely on my NI record (already having my pension forecast) and my late wife being Canadian, had never set foot in the UK so was completely irrelevant for the application, they still wanted marriage and death certs with the application.

Using the email contact facility, I did ask if it was really necessary and they said "yes, to keep records up to date" but I just don't see that at all.

I suppose that had they sent my invitation to apply in advance and I'd phoned or done it online, using the reference number I didn't get, it might have been more flexible like yours was in not asking irrelevancies.
Old Dec 29th 2023, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Yes.
I had that exact question last year. My eligible date was the week before the annual increase - and it was a bigger increase than usual.

I wanted to claim it from the week after and then have it frozen at the higher rate, quickly recovering a lost week and then gaining in the long run, but they told me it was based on eligible date, not after.

Thanks for sharing...so it's unlike my private pension in that respect.
Old Dec 29th 2023, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Kingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond reputeKingsboy48 has a reputation beyond repute

The pension is currently frozen but there are various lobby groups across several countries working to get our pensions unfrozen, an important issue since all expats may be able to vote in the next election - around 500,000 people with frozen pensions would be eligible to vote. Check out britishpensions.com for info and join the fight!
Old Dec 29th 2023, 10:38 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian Alliance of British Pensioners or campaigning vigorously.

https://britishpensions.com/endfrozenpensions/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.