Citizenship whilst in UK....?

Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

maple moments. is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship whilst in UK....?

Hi All,

Anyone been successful getting Canadian Citizenship whilst living in the UK?

I applied for Citizenship while living in Canada.
Got the 'Application in Process' letter no problem to my Canadian address.
Moved to UK a few months ago for family reasons.
Intend moving back to Canada late 2015.

But will have to tell CIC London 'change of address...' you can't 'inform of change of address directly on their website if it's outside Canada...' Must go to London.

Do you think this affects the application?
I'll visit CIC London next week.

I have a recent PR Card, no problem. (As you'll know, can be out UK with PR card for 3 years in 5 years. Though realistically better to re enter Canada in a shorter time frame...)

Time constraint meant I wasn't able to wait in Canada to get Citizenship. Applied 9 months before coming to UK.

Cheers, and Best of Luck on your Canadian pathways...
mm
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Citizenship whilst in UK....?

I should add to above, I have a 'Canadian mailing address' for CIC, a family friend.
But not a permanent living address...
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:08 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maple moments.
Hi All,

Anyone been successful getting Canadian Citizenship whilst living in the UK?

I applied for Citizenship while living in Canada.
Got the 'Application in Process' letter no problem to my Canadian address.
Moved to UK a few months ago for family reasons.
Intend moving back to Canada late 2015.

But will have to tell CIC London 'change of address...' you can't 'inform of change of address directly on their website if it's outside Canada...' Must go to London.

Do you think this affects the application?
I'll visit CIC London next week.

I have a recent PR Card, no problem. (As you'll know, can be out UK with PR card for 3 years in 5 years. Though realistically better to re enter Canada in a shorter time frame...)

Time constraint meant I wasn't able to wait in Canada to get Citizenship. Applied 9 months before coming to UK.

Cheers, and Best of Luck on your Canadian pathways...
mm
Sounds like your commitment to live in Canada is pretty dodgy to me.

I'd be surprised if your visit to London CIC ends well.

Although if memory serves they'll probably not let you in the building. They have extensive security and only like things in the mail.

Lastly the notice you get to attend your Citizenship exam/interview will probably be just a two week time frame. Are you going to be able to attend it at such short notice?
Old Dec 6th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi James M

Thanks for your reply. My commitment to live in Canada is not 'dodgy' ..... already spent over 6 happy years there. Moved back for a spell to see more of my young adult children and sort some family stuff - easier to do here on the ground in the UK.

Lots of people on this site - and ones I've met in Canada, came back to UK for spell then returned to Canada.

As for visiting CIC in London - website gives clear opening times for 'walk ins.'
Time Frame: friends in Canada had a month, one had 7 weeks notice to attend. But yes that could be a challenge but I can work around the logistics. My original point was just if anyone knows of getting granted Citizenship - notice given then fly to Canada for it.
It may not be possible, so I'll go back with my PR card next year if that's doable.

Cheers
mm
Old Dec 6th 2014, 11:12 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

There's nothing on the CIC page that says you have to be in Canada while your application goes through it only gives a caveat that they "generally" only mail to Canadian addresses so there might be a delay in you getting information.

I read it that if your friend can open your mail from them and fax it on to you then you will be fine as long as you can present for the test if needed and the ceremony.
Old Dec 7th 2014, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

Hi bats,

Thanks for your info. As you say, don't technically need to be in Canada during processing. And the focus seems to be what you were doing 4 years proceeding the application.
It's a bummer to have to come back during processing but as mentioned it can take up to 24mths. Though one of my colleagues had the whole thing done in a year...! No explanation, that was in BC.

Cheers
mm
Old Dec 7th 2014, 1:29 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Mine was done in 7 months, depends on the processing office. Mississauga is one of the faster ones
Old Dec 7th 2014, 3:22 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hi bats,

Thanks for your info. As you say, don't technically need to be in Canada during processing. And the focus seems to be what you were doing 4 years proceeding the application.
It's a bummer to have to come back during processing but as mentioned it can take up to 24mths. Though one of my colleagues had the whole thing done in a year...! No explanation, that was in BC.

Cheers
mm
Ours was a year but only 2 weeks notice for the ceremony.
Old Dec 8th 2014, 1:18 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

As for visiting CIC in London - website gives clear opening times for 'walk ins.'
Where?

It offers services to existing Citizens. I do not see any more services other than the ability to drop mail off.

Hours of Operation
Old Dec 17th 2014, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

AllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of lightAllyS is a glorious beacon of light

We had also wondered whether we could return to live in the UK whilst waiting for our applications to be processed.

The responses we got from folks on here were mainly that we should reside in Canada. Also the rules had recently changed once again meaning that CIC was not tolerant to applicants residing in another country.
Old Dec 18th 2014, 7:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

I received only one weeks notice of my ceremony and two weeks of the citizenship test.

I know a few people who left the country and then had to come back at very short notice for their test and ceremony. This was the only problem they had.
Old Feb 10th 2015, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

brit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud ofbrit09 has much to be proud of

Hi OP

How is the process going?

I see no problem in taking trip(s) whilst application in process but as mentioned get someone reliable to receive mail (@ Canadian address) as CIC doesnt always update online on ECAS.
Although i was in Canada for most of my process (took under 1year) I had about 1/2wks notice for test (updated on ECAS) but oath wasnt updated again until few days AFTER ceremony lol
Good Luck!
Old Feb 10th 2015, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brit09
Hi OP

How is the process going?

I see no problem in taking trip(s) whilst application in process but as mentioned get someone reliable to receive mail (@ Canadian address) as CIC doesnt always update online on ECAS.
Although i was in Canada for most of my process (took under 1year) I had about 1/2wks notice for test (updated on ECAS) but oath wasnt updated again until few days AFTER ceremony lol
Good Luck!
Hiya,

Thanks for your message. It's likely I'll just have to wait till back in Canada later in the year. It seems to take time anyway. Could well be back by time of notice to attend. At least I'll be fully resident again and a taxpayer once more. Also for practical reasons, 2 flights to do 'test + Ceremony is a lot. Such is life. I have a nearly new PR Card still, so hopefully get back in without issues and continue on.
There are worse things.
It's all good.
Cheers,
MM
Old Feb 11th 2015, 1:00 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

How do I notify Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) of an address change?

In Canada

You can submit an address change via the change of address service online, in some cases. See the full list of requirements to use this service.
If you are not eligible to change your address online, you can notify CIC using this email form.

It can take up to 15 business days for the address change to be processed.

Outside Canada

You must contact the visa office where you applied.
Look for the Case Specific Inquiry box on the visa office web page.
So presumably that would mean contacting the office the citizenship application was sent to?

There is a part that says "if you live outside of Canada" to contact the office for your region - presumably that's London.

But do you "live" outside Canada or are you simply not in Canada presently?

Six years in Canada and returning after several months away...arguably you don't live in the UK and are merely temporarily absent.

Last edited by BristolUK; Feb 11th 2015 at 1:08 am.