Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Apr 5th 2014, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Brainwave is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Calling on all the forum friends here,
I had signed up with a wrong person and had contract + legal issues. But now its clear( had to spend £5000 to get out of it, the chap who hired me was not only mean and manipulative but also litiginous.
Its all behind me now, and i am coming to do quite a few interviews in BC( i have broadened my area now, and no longer focussed on fraser health, other places offer more incentives and seem to be more friendly).
But i needed some advice, my daughter is currently in year 2 but the schools in canada are saying she will have to start grade 2 in september 2014.
Is grade 2 in canada similar to year 2 or year 3 as per english curriculum?
Your thoughts would be highly appreciated, she is a bright girl and the thought of her repeating a year is not very pleasant.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 12:10 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Brainwave
Calling on all the forum friends here,
I had signed up with a wrong person and had contract + legal issues. But now its clear( had to spend £5000 to get out of it, the chap who hired me was not only mean and manipulative but also litiginous.
Its all behind me now, and i am coming to do quite a few interviews in BC( i have broadened my area now, and no longer focussed on fraser health, other places offer more incentives and seem to be more friendly).
But i needed some advice, my daughter is currently in year 2 but the schools in canada are saying she will have to start grade 2 in september 2014.
Is grade 2 in canada similar to year 2 or year 3 as per english curriculum?
Your thoughts would be highly appreciated, she is a bright girl and the thought of her repeating a year is not very pleasant.
http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/by_gra...n&gradelevel=2

http://www.bced.gov.bc.ca/irp/curric...curric_req.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Canada

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 5th 2014 at 12:15 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2014, 3:33 pm
Just Joined

shellygb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Brainwave,

Sorry to hear about your experience so far.

I arrived in Vancouver with my family 2 and half weeks ago.
I have a 7 year old daughter who has done her formal schooling to date in Portugal(in Portuguese) where children start school at the age of 6.

We have been offered an assessment after speaking to the registrar at the DCRP to ascertain whether or not Grade 2 wold be appropriate for. She speaks and reads English.

https://www.vsb.bc.ca/schools/distri...nt-centre-drpc

They were very helpful-maybe you could speak to them and get your daughter assessed too.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 5th 2014 at 3:55 pm. Reason: duplicated
Old Apr 6th 2014, 9:10 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your helpful replies, i will certainly
explore these avenues .
Old Apr 16th 2014, 3:12 pm
Just Joined

tanget90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. I am still in go training, gpvt2. I have passed mccee, mccqe1&2, and has Canadian permanent residence already. I have all pcrc documents except the cct and mrcgp of course. My wife and I are interested to move to Halifax once I receive cct and mrcgp august 2015 - provided I can pass the CSA hopefully.

I am wanting to work in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I am however puzzled by some posts here whereby gp applying for licence are asked to do some additional rotations? As far as I know, if I qualify for full registration licence with the nova Scotia regulatory body and cfpc , using my mrcgp and lmcc. Please correct me if my assumption is wrong..

My last question is- will I be unwise to leave and immigrate from the UK and move to Halifax right after I receive my mrcgp and cct documents? I assume job hunting and awaiting for ccfp should take about six weeks... I shall source verify them asap. Don't wish to extend my visa in the UK..

Any advice will be appreciated. Thank you guys.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 8:21 am
Just Joined

I think you will be ok for halifax, the extra rotations were for BC, not nova scotia.
Old Apr 22nd 2014, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

tanget90 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brainwave
I think you will be ok for halifax, the extra rotations were for BC, not nova scotia.
oh great, thanks Brainwave. I shall pray that I can get a job next year in Halifax, nova scotia...
Old Jun 10th 2014, 10:42 pm
ONI
Just Joined

ONI is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

I am undertaking the process for CPSA licensure and I have been shocked by the cost of registration and the annual fee.

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is possible to claim tax back when in Canada on these payments to soften the blow.

Thanks
Old Jun 11th 2014, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

segs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant futuresegs has a brilliant future

Hello ONI

I haven't paid tax in Canada yet but I imagine that one would be able to claim tax back on all expenses related to keeping you in your profession, much like in the UK.
What I'm not sure about is when you would be deemed as tax resident in Canada since you're making these payments before you come to live and work here.

I'm sure other more knowledgable people will soon be along to advise further.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 7:31 am
Just Joined

dr.matt is an unknown quantity at this point

This is a great forum. It's gone a little quiet but hoping someone might be able to answer some questions I had. We're very early in the process of thinking about moving to Canada. My wife is from Nova Scotia, but I have no residency status in Canada and we're thinking about moving to Alberta at least for the beginning. I have all the rotations I need for Alberta from my F1/F2 years and GPVTS but don't have any ER experience which looks like it will rule out BC.

I have only just started the physiciansapply process. They have received my passport, and my CCT, MRCGP and medical school certificates which are being source verified, and I have applied to do the MCCEE in October. I've also looked at CPSA website and am pretty sure I have all the necessary qualifications to get in. I lift this from their website regarding information I need to apply for eligibility to gain a provisional license:

------------------------

Review of Qualifications

The Review of Qualifications includes the following information:

Canadian medical examinations completed (ie: LMCC, MCCEE, CCFP, CCFP (EM), FRCP(C), FRCS(C))
Evidence of English language proficiency
Medical education history
Documents related to all postgraduate medical training
Medical certifications
Other medical qualifications
Practice history

NOTE: Graduates of international medical training programs will need to have their credentials source verified by physiciansapply if granted access to the complete application.

------------------------

My questions were specifically:

-Will the certificates I have asked to be source verified above be sufficient for proof of postgraduate training and medical school training for the CPSA? Should I also submit my full registration certificate for the GMC? I chose the above certificates as these seem to be the ones which were required to later apply for exemption from examination for the CFPC later down the road.
-Is it absolutely necessary to have other documents of optional courses source verified, e.g. DRCOG, post graduate certificates, joint injection courses etc. I know snoopdawg, you submitted everything to be on the safe side, but has anyone been successful without doing this?
-After reading this forum I believe my question about whether I need to provide proof of my F1/F2 and GPVTS rotations is necessary, and it looks like it is, so I am now contacting the course administrators/ coordinators of those courses to get official letters. However, do you need to provide details of your medical school course if the medical school is listed in the International Medical Education Directory (IMED) and your medical certificate has been accepted? Or would this be done through an Educational Credential Assessments (ECA) via the MCC?
-When is it necessary to provide a certificate of good standing from the GMC and who does this get sent to? - the CPSA or the MCC? If the MCC and it needs to be source verified, how would this work as it looks like the GMC send it direct or email it direct to the regulatory body, so I wouldn't be able to send a cover sheet direct with it.
-When is it necessary to get references - is this after the review of qualifications - do these need to be source verified?
-Lastly, apart from just me listing my practice history, will the CPSA require further source verified proof?

I have emailed the above questions to the college, but after reading the forum I expect a long waiting time for any reply, and then probably an incomplete answer! The costs do add up so trying to economise if possible. I have already found the following websites somewhat instructional:

http://www.cpsa.ab.ca/Services/Regis...ractice-permit
Requirements for Practice for Canadian and International Graduates

Many thanks in advance to anyone who may want to reply, and apologies for the essay! Hopefully others may have similar questions so any answers may be helpful to others too.
Old Aug 31st 2014, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dr.matt!

Congratulation on starting the process. I am also going through the process at the moment myself but for Ontario. and still in UK. awaiting CPSO outcome by end of Oct 2014. So all I know is correct for ontario/CPSO. Each province has its own rules for registration.

Alberto is one of the least restrictive.

It seems you will be around when next BMJ career fairs is going to happen. Do go to it as BC/Alberto college/Sachecatchewan college do come there and you can ask all your questions.

but in Summary there are 3 legs to your registration as GP in the Canada:

1. getting your documents verified. the CCT (that is proof of your postgraduate education)/MRCGP/MBBS is enough and that is what you have done. I did my BSC but no use so far! when i did source verified I have to do ID certified documents too - a form with my details and photo being notarised as well as my passport - british but that was when i applied under PCRC the old system.
once this is done then the next 2 stages you can start simultaneously that if if you want to get out quickly.

2. you need to register with CFPC (equivalent of RCGP) in canada. For this registration, to get registered without examination you need to have MRCGP(source verified - will become handy), UK post graduation training counts etc. you can read here the criteria:
Recognized Training | Alternative Pathways to Certification in Family Medicine | Education | The College of Family Physicians Canada
Then you will get CFPC letter of eligibility which you can use as part of registration with province college. in your case with Alberto regulatory.

3. Register with regulatory body i.e. CPSA.
I suggest you email college and ask them to email you the registration for after you have explained you are qualified from uk and blah blah....in that email or registration form then you can see what else they require from you. GMC good standing - takes 10 days/references or referee names/letter of eligibility or license with CFPC/job offers. most of these stuff has 6 months expiry for these canadian such as letter or good standing from GMC or references so act according.

it is good that you booked your MCCEE - it is really easy and most of stuff is related to most of what you do in GP but some involve basic science like acid base. do this exam because it is easy and then you don't need to do MCCQE1 and QE2 if you choose to stay in Alberto and by 5 years you will get your full license as i understand it. it is not the case for Ontario!

oh! for Ontario they did not ask for certificate in english as being thought in english in uk was enough evidence so it may be the same in Alberto!

At the moment i think you need just to email the college and ask the application. and slowly look at jobs because you will need a job offer under supervision very likely to get licensed. There are agency set up by gov to help with relocation so find for Alberto.
which part of Alberto are you relocating to?

regarding experience- for instance ontario ask i have to have obs and gynae experience which i don't so i submitted my CV and so far not being asked that i need to provide some other evidence i have the experience...so i think you ask such specific questions like that directly to Alberto physician registration enquires!

good luck.....
Old Sep 1st 2014, 5:31 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the quick reply Hasan. That information is useful, especially regarding applying for the CFPC simultaneously. I suppose all the documents they require would need to be source verified before you can do that though?

From what I can gather, Alberta and Nova Scotia are currently the only two provinces where you apply to the college directly through physiciansapply. Alberta require a pre-screening 'review of qualifications' which you have to apply for through the physiciansapply portal and assesses whether you may be eligible to apply, and if so then gives you access to the full eligibility application. Pre-screening itself costs $200, so I am quite keen to make sure I pass it! The following outlines what is involved in pre-screening, though still leaves open some of the questions above:

Applying for a Practice Permit - Registration - Licence

I would definitely need a pass in the MCCEE before starting pre-screening, for example.

Your comment on the BMJ careers fair was very useful. I have now emailed the recruiters at Alberta Physician Link to see if they might also be able to clarify some of the above for me.

Good luck with your application as well!
Old Sep 1st 2014, 11:58 am
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

From what I gathered, Alberta can be quite keen to "help" you across as long as you are prepared to stay, so will fly you across to visit area and will also help with relocation costs. We didn't really fancy Alberta from our research so opted for Ontario instead but something to think about..
Old Sep 2nd 2014, 10:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

My Pleasure! dr.Matt...

Thank you! Just patiently waiting for my app 2.....:0)

No! you don't have to wait but why open an active account with CFPC now and pay for it while you have to wait 3-4 months for source verification is taking place. Once you open your account with CFPC it takes about 2-4 weeks to have it processed. it is easy and quick! All online.

From what i read online about ontario, I found the info always confusing..it seems the same with Alberto website while doing a quick pick.

I know another colleague who is going to Calgary - if you like i can try to put you in touch with him but need to ask his permission to see if he is ok. He is just about to complete the whole process and got a job...

Tirytory is correct! Alberto need FP/GP especially in Rural area.

I heard that Alberto introduce some kind of Locum programme, allowing physician to Locum for 6 to 9 month as a taster and then complete the registration process...

oh! another way of you finding some info is via doctors.net if u are registered...
Old Sep 3rd 2014, 5:50 am
Just Joined

Thanks Hasan. Do you mean to say you applied to the CFPC without first waiting for the documents to be source verified?

We are also thinking about Calgary, and if your friend doesn't mind being contacted that would be great! You could PM me his details if he was happy with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.