Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Feb 13th 2018, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by dr604
Hello all

First time poster.
I'm a GP living in Vancouver. Has anyone else used a financial advisor for advice regarding savings, investments, pension etc?
Any leads or recommendations would be appreciated.
I am also considering to see a financial advisor but in Toronto. The professional body do have wealth management group who can help with this kind of stuff. is that not the case in BC medical association? anyhow good luck with your search...
Old Mar 20th 2018, 12:17 am
Just Joined

Jeevan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hi all, first off thank you to everyone on this forum for all your helpful advice on this transition to Canada. The information I've read through in this forum has made the whole process so much more clear.

My wife and I are both completing our GP VTS training in the UK (2nd year). I'm a Canadian citizen and my wife is a South African. We would prefer to enter Ontario/GTA as my family are currently residing there.

I've spent the last 2 days (no exaggeration) going through all the posts on this thread. In regards to the clinical rotations that were required; most of the information were about BC. Can someone who has entered Ontario provide any information regarding the required clinical rotations either during their VTS and/or foundation year training? I'm missing psychiatry and surgery, will this be a problem with CPSO requirements?

Thank you.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeevan
Hi all, first off thank you to everyone on this forum for all your helpful advice on this transition to Canada. The information I've read through in this forum has made the whole process so much more clear.

My wife and I are both completing our GP VTS training in the UK (2nd year). I'm a Canadian citizen and my wife is a South African. We would prefer to enter Ontario/GTA as my family are currently residing there.

I've spent the last 2 days (no exaggeration) going through all the posts on this thread. In regards to the clinical rotations that were required; most of the information were about BC. Can someone who has entered Ontario provide any information regarding the required clinical rotations either during their VTS and/or foundation year training? I'm missing psychiatry and surgery, will this be a problem with CPSO requirements?

Thank you.
Hi Jeevan
I don't think CPSO do require any particular rotation but it has been 3 yrs since I did it. I didn't have psychiatry so that didn't caused any issue. surgery - did you not done that as part of your FY1-2 rotation?
I suggest email the CPSO and ask them to email you the application package and you will find what is required.
I suggest you consider doing MCCEE QE1 while trying to complete your VTS training...so look at mcc.ca to see what is requirements. You can go ahead with full independent license from the beginning...good luck...
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply Hasan.

I had a slightly different training route. I entered a core medical training SHO post in Ireland straight out of medical school (no F1/2 and no paid internship training). 6 year medical school in Romania included a year of unpaid internship. This did included a surgical rotation but I doubt I will be able to list this down as post graduate training.

I just received the application package from CPSO today so will send it in and see what they say. My initial plan was to get MCCEE exempt after obtaining CFPC certificate (if this is possible?) and then write both the MCCQE1/2 during supervised period in Canada. I'm rethinking this strategy as you've clearly indicated in your previous posts that the opportunities to land a job will be much higher with having full independent license (makes sense). Thanks!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

no problem! Jeeva

You have not obtained your MRCGP yet so you can't apply to CPSO yet. Also you need letter of eligibility from CCFP for CPSO application But look at the application to see what is the requirement/rotations mandatory. by supervised license when you do QE1 and QE2 then you have to have a final assessment by CPSO prior to grant of independent license. so it is a hassle but while you are doing you VTS you can easily do QE 1 and QE 2 and MCCEE so in 1 year you will be ready to apply for full independent license. for CCFP registration you do need to be member of RCGP so don't cancel that after obtaining of MRCGP till you got yourself registered with CPSO and CCFP. if can be of any further help then just drop a note...
best of luck....
Old Mar 22nd 2018, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Hasan,

Thanks for the heads up with holding on to the RCGP membership. That's really useful to know. MCC are planning to phase out MCCEE by 2019 and candidates are able to attempt QE1 directly at international centres. As we're in early stages of starting a family and I expect our time in the UK to be extended, I'm thinking about following this path.

I entirely certain to drop you a text in the next coming months, thanks for all your help and advise.
Old Apr 6th 2018, 6:09 am
Just Joined

dfytr is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya,

Great place to find the answers!

Canadian citizen in UK doing ST1. My question is what will be a timeline for SVC and getting papers in Ontario (CFCP+CPSO)?

Since Im on Tier 2 I was planning to work for an year after finishing UK training before moving back to Canada but looks like GP Surgeries are not keen to sponsor visas...

Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2018, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

banana_1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone!

For those of you that have made the move from the UK to Canada (esp Vancouver BC area) - what is life really like working as a GP? What are the best bits and the worst bits compared to the UK?

I'm in the early stages of applying via Health Match BC and am starting to question whether all the extra effort involved in doing extra clinical attachments etc is all worth it. However, life as a GP in the UK is looking quite bleak... :s
Old May 18th 2018, 9:28 pm
Just Joined

Mandy1106 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kudos to all group members for this wonderful forum.Please can you guys help throw more light on these issues.Just started my GP training this February and thinking of moving to Canada after my training.I intend to write QE1 April next year when immediately am done with AKT then apply for PR late next then when am done with CSA,will go to Canada and attempt QE2.Noticed that having LMCC gives you flexibility of practicing in other provinces.
My question is, will it be too early to write the exams or must I finish my training before I can be allowed to write it.
Also,I read in MCC website that your Mbbs needs to be verified or in the process of verification before you can be eligible to sit for the exams So,after this source verification,do I need to pay all over again for primary source verification when applying to CFPC and CPS.
Thanks everyone for your time
Old May 19th 2018, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mandy1106
Kudos to all group members for this wonderful forum.Please can you guys help throw more light on these issues.Just started my GP training this February and thinking of moving to Canada after my training.I intend to write QE1 April next year when immediately am done with AKT then apply for PR late next then when am done with CSA,will go to Canada and attempt QE2.Noticed that having LMCC gives you flexibility of practicing in other provinces.
My question is, will it be too early to write the exams or must I finish my training before I can be allowed to write it.
Also,I read in MCC website that your Mbbs needs to be verified or in the process of verification before you can be eligible to sit for the exams So,after this source verification,do I need to pay all over again for primary source verification when applying to CFPC and CPS.
Thanks everyone for your time
hi
LMCC will definitely give. you a lot of flexibility and will get your independent license when applied. so go for it.
regarding source verification,,,no! once you have done it then it can be reused. other docs also required by regulatory body such as CFPC to be notarized like RCGP membership or MBBS.
Old May 19th 2018, 6:47 am
Just Joined

@Hassan78,thanks so much for the heads up.One more thing please,will it be too early to sit for QE1 in my ST2 next year since MCC says you ought to have completed 1 year post grad training before you can be eligible for the exams.
Hows Ontario treating you?
Thanks so much for your time
Old May 19th 2018, 7:12 am
Just Joined

dfytr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mandy1106
@Hassan78,thanks so much for the heads up.One more thing please,will it be too early to sit for QE1 in my ST2 next year since MCC says you ought to have completed 1 year post grad training before you can be eligible for the exams.
Hows Ontario treating you?
Thanks so much for your time
You need to have one year postgrad for QE2 not for QE1, which requires diploma only.
Old May 19th 2018, 10:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much dear
Old May 20th 2018, 1:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dfytr
You need to have one year postgrad for QE2 not for QE1, which requires diploma only.
+1
Old May 20th 2018, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,please has the new private corporate tax been implemented and what's the financial implication on doctor's earnings?
Thanks Hassan for your previous response.I appreciate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.