Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Nov 1st 2017, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Richb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond reputeRichb1970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by ecokid
Hi all. So we've decided on the clinic and we are due to be moving to Vancouver Island in February - although I'm sure it's going to take longer than this due to Christmas.

For prospective doctors, I would stress that if the province has a centralised recruitment
service for foreign doctors, like BC does, then it's worth the hassle of additional paperwork (over direct recruitment) as not only do you have someone to show you around and give you a genuine perspective on the area, but a point of contact to help you get established once you land.
Congratulations 😁😁

It took us six months from decision on a clinic to landing date....we are headed out 20th November so not long now!!

My thoughts on the next stage for you

1. It took longer for the health authority to sort the job offer and certificate of need than I thought (4 month)
2. The provincial nomination took 2 days to come through!!
3. We spent a load of time thinking 'is this actually going to happen' and waiting and only had the all clear two weeks ago
4. The certificate of good standing was said to be a two week process but the GMC took 4 weeks
5. I would advise lining up referees for the health board and college soon. The college need three clinical referees, for the authority one can be a manager.
6. I sorted most of the required paperwork for the PR application early so it was ready to drop in the post once we got the final paperwork through

I found this final stage the most frustrating mainly I think as most of the process was totally out of my hands. If you want any chat about my experience or some brain picking then feel free to message me
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:00 pm
Just Joined

Wanderingdoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Hello everyone!

Long time follower of the thread but never posted. Thought it’s time to say hello!

I completed my VTS about 2 1/2 years ago and have been predominantly locumming since in the North East of England. I’m planning a move imminently to Just outside Vancouver, Maple Ridge to be exact. The process has been long and arduous; I had to take time out of general practice to complete 8 weeks in O&G (unpaid observership) and also a (paid) 8 week Psychiatry SHO post. I think one of the most challenging tasks was collating evidence of my Locum work in the form of letters from each practice (there have been approximately 30, as I like the variety) stipulating days and even hours worked. Fortunately, I used Locum Organiser to manage all my bookings, so backtracking to get this data was less taxing.

I seem to be at the end the process; my CON letter has been issued, I’ve sent off my PR application, medical is booked on the 13th of November and three referees are all T’d up. I shall apply for and should be issued my Work Permit on arrival at Pearson International and I’m just trying to coordinate the time sensitive matter of reference and GMC letter of good standing validity, with booking flights to avoid the upcoming holiday period.

So all in all, things are going well and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I initially visited Vancouver during my elective and have family there are well as Kelowna, Montreal and dotted around the States. We have none in the UK so it’s all the more reason to make a move.

It would be nice to connect with some of you guys in person one day in the future. If I can be of half as much help as our canine-compatriots who are clearly eager to offer advice here on this board, to anyone else planning on making the move, I’d be more than happy to help :-)

Best wishes,

Wanderingdoc
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:35 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wanderingdoc
Hello everyone!

Long time follower of the thread but never posted. Thought it’s time to say hello!

I completed my VTS about 2 1/2 years ago and have been predominantly locumming since in the North East of England. I’m planning a move imminently to Just outside Vancouver, Maple Ridge to be exact. The process has been long and arduous; I had to take time out of general practice to complete 8 weeks in O&G (unpaid observership) and also a (paid) 8 week Psychiatry SHO post. I think one of the most challenging tasks was collating evidence of my Locum work in the form of letters from each practice (there have been approximately 30, as I like the variety) stipulating days and even hours worked. Fortunately, I used Locum Organiser to manage all my bookings, so backtracking to get this data was less taxing.

I seem to be at the end the process; my CON letter has been issued, I’ve sent off my PR application, medical is booked on the 13th of November and three referees are all T’d up. I shall apply for and should be issued my Work Permit on arrival at Pearson International and I’m just trying to coordinate the time sensitive matter of reference and GMC letter of good standing validity, with booking flights to avoid the upcoming holiday period.

So all in all, things are going well and I can see light at the end of the tunnel. I initially visited Vancouver during my elective and have family there are well as Kelowna, Montreal and dotted around the States. We have none in the UK so it’s all the more reason to make a move.

It would be nice to connect with some of you guys in person one day in the future. If I can be of half as much help as our canine-compatriots who are clearly eager to offer advice here on this board, to anyone else planning on making the move, I’d be more than happy to help :-)

Best wishes,

Wanderingdoc
Welcome!
Im glad that you have been helped on this thread- I would agree it is hard work but I think well worth it. We just had to do paeds in our own time so doing O&G and Psych must have been a pain- at least you were paid for the latter.

How come you are flying to Tronno rather than YVR? Flight time between the two is about 4 and a half hours and there is apparently a lot of hate on here for YYZ- We have only been there once when we were flying on Zoom which died just before we returned home to the UK - it was very thundery.

Keep us up to speed with your progress. We are now remote from the process so the likes of you, Richb1970 and Ecokid etc could be a good resource for those potentially planning the move over here. We can continue to give our thoughts about working here and thoughts about areas
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:40 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for the welcome. My apologies, I actually meant to say YVR!

Yes of course, I shall keep you guys apprised of the progress. I’ll be taking a job as a partner in a 2 man clinic and will be expense-sharing. The business side of things is a little unknown, but it’s an established practice and I’ll get to keep what I bill in entirety. I could certainly let you guys know of average monthly expenses the clinic has presently to get your opinions..
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:54 pm
I need a walk

Stinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond reputeStinkypup has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the welcome. My apologies, I actually meant to say YVR!

Yes of course, I shall keep you guys apprised of the progress. I’ll be taking a job as a partner in a 2 man clinic and will be expense-sharing. The business side of things is a little unknown, but it’s an established practice and I’ll get to keep what I bill in entirety. I could certainly let you guys know of average monthly expenses the clinic has presently to get your opinions..
Yep, sounds fine to do- maybe PM once you have enough posts.
You certainly wont be lacking patients in Maple Ridge- it seems to be growing exponentially although the population growth is likely to be in the younger demographic which doesnt quite pay so well..
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Sure, will do.

There’s an offer to join the local Division and be part of an on call Rota to see local nursing home patients which seems to be paid per session as well as keeping any billings. I guess this would be an income-generator, but clearly a commitment is required longer term. They are enticing me with an up to $10k incentive towards moving costs, but I’m not sure I’m all that bothered about that in relation to the commitment required. There is mention of taking on retiring GP’s lists (even in part, which I guess, could almost mean cherry-picking higher income generators?) so this may be a quick way to increase my list size. Out of interest, what type of patients would be an ideal balance between higher billing and keeping your sanity whilst consulting? ;-)

The Division seems to offer a lot of educational, supportive and social elements to practicing in the area to its members and as far as I can fathom so far, seems almost like a local CCG that liases with Fraser Health Authority to deliver targeted care to the local population. I’m sure there’ll be more to it that meets the eye, but I’ve yet to find out.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 8:57 pm
I need a walk

Sure, will do.

There’s an offer to join the local Division and be part of an on call Rota to see local nursing home patients which seems to be paid per session as well as keeping any billings. I guess this would be an income-generator, but clearly a commitment is required longer term. They are enticing me with an up to $10k incentive towards moving costs, but I’m not sure I’m all that bothered about that in relation to the commitment required. There is mention of taking on retiring GP’s lists (even in part, which I guess, could almost mean cherry-picking higher income generators?) so this may be a quick way to increase my list size. Out of interest, what type of patients would be an ideal balance between higher billing and keeping your sanity whilst consulting? ;-)

The Division seems to offer a lot of educational, supportive and social elements to practicing in the area to its members and as far as I can fathom so far, seems almost like a local CCG that liases with Fraser Health Authority to deliver targeted care to the local population. I’m sure there’ll be more to it that meets the eye, but I’ve yet to find out.
We have our own practices and belong to the local Division so one doesn't have to do the NH stuff. We see our own NH patients and get remunerated accordingly. There may a move to get us to cover say more patients in the homes centralizing the process and making it efficient. College doesn't like cherry picking although it does happen.

Taking on a list saves a lot of work if the retiring Doctor is good and ideally has charting on EMR. Avoid loading your list with youngsters, it doesn't pay the bills. Older people get more stuff going wrong and need your services more. Chronic disease management fees ease the pain.

Last edited by Stinkypup; Nov 3rd 2017 at 9:00 pm.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

Snoop, you mentioned that after work you finish charting.

What exactly does this mean? Do you guys not document as you go/see patients in each consultation? I imagine coding here translates to coding for billing codes there..
Old Nov 5th 2017, 9:16 pm
I need a walk

Snoop, you mentioned that after work you finish charting.

What exactly does this mean? Do you guys not document as you go/see patients in each consultation? I imagine coding here translates to coding for billing codes there..
Stinky actually, Snoop does, I do document at the time- for more complex patients, longer apps I prefer making brief notes and then filling in the chart later. I use Dragon Medical voice recognition program - a life saver for someone who cannot type hugely speedily. We access our EMR from home- and on phones and tablet which helps. As I said, Snoop is way better disciplined than myself
Old Nov 5th 2017, 9:20 pm
I need a walk

Very true. I find myself practicing medico-legally defensible medicine at every turn. Especially so in OOH where the risk is highest. This in turn drives my consultation documentation to be lengthy but contemporaneous and as such, I don't deal with more than one issue per 10 minute consultation. It's simply not conceivable to do otherwise.

There is inevitably an air of entitlement within the NHS. Med 3's seem a right to some, the GP is perceived as the barrier to their benefits at times, whereas patients rarely see the value to their mental well-being in regular work. I can't see the system lasting; it's being slowly dismantled and privatised for some time. Mr *unt will and is trying to vilify us to justify his plans to the general public and the number of docs emigrating or seeking alternative careers is ever-growing.

PS - I detest HV's and actually don't do these as a locum. I relish the thought that this concept doesn't exist to the most part there in day to day practice!
Yes, until they bring in Crown indemnity, they will not get enough docs doing OOH work, financially it makes no sense. Thorough charting/ documentation is key
Old Nov 9th 2017, 5:51 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Right then.

As requests from the lovely Canada mods to discuss, debate, ignore or step away from keyboards is not being heeded & after consultation between the Canada mods who included myself, it has been decided to split the last few pages of posts to another discussion thread .

That should not have been needed but it seems requests fell on deaf ears. It is by grace that the original thread has not been either shut down or curtailed

As it is late up on the NH but a late Spring evening for me , it falls on my watch to spend my time sorting that out whilst MrBEVs sorts out tea. My mods will hopefully be a-bed.

This is BE & here we aim to allow discussion , debate and points of view to be aired relatively freely within the site rules. Not everyone is going to agree all of the time and so sometimes PoV are going to clash & even really clash depending on the -- wait for it -- subjective PoV.

Two ways forward when views & opinions are polarised.
1 - Engage and discuss .
2 - Disengage and withdraw.

I'll take this moment to remind everyone that moderators are volunteers. They give of their free time. They operate within the framework of the site rules & are impartial. Pot shots at mods helps no-one . Listening does.

Y'know. I'm not happy to read all this carry on. I love the Canada forum and all of the posters that contribute.

Make. Your. Peace.

Last edited by BEVS; Nov 9th 2017 at 9:40 am.
Old Nov 23rd 2017, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Verdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond reputeVerdant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Confirmation of Need came through - took 3 weeks (which is way faster than we were expecting, so this seems to vary quite a lot). I had my first major wobble as now February arrival might actually be a reality, which seems super close considering everything that we have to get sorted.... cue Benny Hill chicken dance.

Would Vancouver, Nanaimo or Victoria be a better place to get a second-hand car? We only want something small. Definitely no trucks or truck-adjacent vehicles...
Old Nov 27th 2017, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

anaes20 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

hi, I am really glad that I found this forum!
I am consultant in the UK and have been offered a job in Saskatchewan.
Just wondering if anyone has worked in Moose Jaw, SK or the surrounding areas?
They are flying my family and myself out to visit the place, any things that we should be looking for or asking? any thoughts on fee for service v/s alternate payment plan?
I have already got MCCEE and RCPSC eligibility and I am eligible for a provisional license.
Thanks in advance
Old Nov 28th 2017, 12:20 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anaes20
hi, I am really glad that I found this forum!
I am consultant in the UK and have been offered a job in Saskatchewan.
Just wondering if anyone has worked in Moose Jaw, SK or the surrounding areas?
They are flying my family and myself out to visit the place, any things that we should be looking for or asking? any thoughts on fee for service v/s alternate payment plan?
I have already got MCCEE and RCPSC eligibility and I am eligible for a provisional license.
Thanks in advance
Hello and welcome to BE!

Exciting times ahead, it seems - congratulations on the job offer!

Hopefully one of our GP's will be along to help you with your questions but in the meantime, you might like to peruse through this thread as there are many helpful posts within it. Make yourself a cuppa first, it's quite long! I don't think we have any GP's in Saskatchewan, but if you have general questions about the area, do feel free to post in our main Canada forum - there's a few people who live in those parts that are members of BE and will be happy to assist. (There's also a few threads on Saskatchewan, if you put in a search).

Last edited by Siouxie; Nov 28th 2017 at 12:22 am.
Old Jan 14th 2018, 11:11 am
Just Joined

medicm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all
it looks like a very useful forum, I've had a good look at many of the posts, but I may need some new info as things keep changing in Canada and its territories.
I'm a newly qualified GP, did all my foundation and GP training in UK.
Im waiting for my CCT and MRCGP paperwork to come through. I'm quite keen to work in Ontario specifically.
I'm wondering if there is anyone here had gone through the process of applying for CFPC Certification with/without Examination?
Thank You

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.