Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:09 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by chipsticks
Hello all

I have been following this thread for some time and have have gained a huge amount of information with regards to relocating to Canada. I wanted to thank everyone for their input -everything on here is gold and has made the process thus far much easier.

My wife and I are both GP’s in the UK and have decided that we want to make the move over to Toronto. We have had all our documents source verified, are members of the CFPC and are now at the point where we need to start looking into jobs and supervisors (a bit daunting!).

We both are planning to visit Toronto in early November and were wondering if anyone here would be happy to have a quick drink one evening to get some insight into practices and jobs??

I have messaged many practices from Health Force Ontario and are waiting on some responses. I was wondering if anyone else has any information or methods of finding practices other than the HFO website?

We would both be grateful for any help - it would be much appreciated. Looking through the posts I can see that a few have had very bad experiences with signing up to practices and would hope to escape this misfortune.

It would also be nice to have a little community in Canada to meet up with when we are missing M+S and the local chippy.

With everything thats going on in the UK now with GP we have both agreed that maybe the grass is greener on the other side!

Thanks
I think there is one doctor who works in Toronto area- Hasan you can try messaging him. My husband is another Ontario doctor but we are two hours up north and a drink would be difficult although if you wanted to check out a beautiful underserviced area you would be most welcome.

Out of interest what draws you to Toronto? How old are you guys? Stage of life?

Edited to add... my husband found his position through HFO, you just need to be patient. I'm not sure how the job market is down there. We knew we didn't want to work in the city or a sprawling suburb, so we looked further afield. We love it when we are. I know that Toronto isn't considered underserviced so you can no longer join a Family Health Team, so you are just looking at a straight fee for service job. I guess there's two of you so maybe money is less of a concern.

Last edited by Tirytory; Sep 24th 2017 at 10:17 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:11 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Chat for and with Canadian Family Practitioners/ex UK General Practitioners

Originally Posted by Tirytory
I think there is one doctor who works in Toronto area...
Blimey, I knew there was a shortage but....

(Sorry TT)
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:19 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Blimey, I knew there was a shortage but....

(Sorry TT)

One ex UK doctor smart a**e
Old Sep 24th 2017, 10:37 pm
Just Joined

chipsticks is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Tirytory. - I will message Hasan

Toronto mainly because we have family there so would be the "safest" place for us to settle. We are pre-children and would like to be in an urban area. If its very difficult to get down in downtown Toronto then we would be happy to work in the suburbs.

Re Family Health team - what further incentives does this provide? I thought the only two payment options were fee for service and capitation? Sorry for the ignorance!
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Tirytory. - I will message Hasan

Toronto mainly because we have family there so would be the "safest" place for us to settle. We are pre-children and would like to be in an urban area. If its very difficult to get down in downtown Toronto then we would be happy to work in the suburbs.

Re Family Health team - what further incentives does this provide? I thought the only two payment options were fee for service and capitation? Sorry for the ignorance!
hi Chipsticks

welcome to BE forum and your new adventure in Toronto.
If you mean by Toronto, downtown Toronto then it may be difficult. that is only if you are looking to move over on TWP?
let. me know which area you are looking to settle down?
sure we can meet for a drink - though nonalcoholic as you can image I don't drink alcohol....just let me know when in Nov you are visiting?
you can do private msg if you prefer....I am off to my holiday till End Oct..

Oh! I also suggest you find what is required of you by CPSO in order to get independent license when here on restricted license? Tirytory husband can help on that.

Best of luck...
Old Sep 25th 2017, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

Hasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond reputeHasan78 has a reputation beyond repute

oh! I am not based in Toronto but around GTA....
Old Sep 25th 2017, 9:22 am
Just Joined

Thanks Hasan - of course - A coke is perfect!

I have already spoken to the CPSO - it seems their requirement is for us to get an appropriate supervisor for us to get restricted licenses. Re Independent Licensing - I understand this is OK'd once we have the QE1+2 and PR?

The immigration stuff is the one thing that I am still looking into/ getting my head around. I think we will get a better understanding on where we want to work when get there in a few weeks. Downtown toronto would be nice but also GTA - east side would also be fine. I understand beggars cant be choosers - this is just what our ideal would be!

Thanks
Old Sep 25th 2017, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

The immigration stuff is the one thing that I am still looking into/ getting my head around. I think we will get a better understanding on where we want to work when get there in a few weeks. Downtown toronto would be nice but also GTA - east side would also be fine. I understand beggars cant be choosers - this is just what our ideal would be!
You kind of need to work out the visa side of things first though - if you are going to be moving out on a TWP, then you may not get much say in where you can find a job and sponsoring employer. You may not even be able to move to Ontario, never mind such a specific location! But if you'll be going with PR, then you can go anywhere you choose.

So maybe have a look in to the immigration options first, and then you can let our lovely forum docs/nurses give you some advice on your chances of getting somewhere in Toronto.

Best of luck.
Old Sep 25th 2017, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
You kind of need to work out the visa side of things first though - if you are going to be moving out on a TWP, then you may not get much say in where you can find a job and sponsoring employer. You may not even be able to move to Ontario, never mind such a specific location! But if you'll be going with PR, then you can go anywhere you choose.

So maybe have a look in to the immigration options first, and then you can let our lovely forum docs/nurses give you some advice on your chances of getting somewhere in Toronto.

Best of luck.
Sorry Christmasoompa - Maybe I am showing my ignorance here.

My understanding was that I would need a work permit under the temporary Foreign Worker Program (which would act a a bridge while I apply for PR).

I thought that in order to get this work permit I would need to get a job offer FIRST - that has been approved by LMIA?

I thought based on this I could come over and then apply for PR accordingly. Have I got completely the wrong end of the stick!?!

Thanks
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Thanks Hasan - of course - A coke is perfect!

I have already spoken to the CPSO - it seems their requirement is for us to get an appropriate supervisor for us to get restricted licenses. Re Independent Licensing - I understand this is OK'd once we have the QE1+2 and PR?

Thanks
no problemo..... or a Tea ....

for independent license! you are correct, CPSO do need QE1 and QE2 but I think you will also have to have an assessment by CPSO at the end prior to be granted independent license. Tirytory husband can shed light on this as I didn't come with restricted license.

no! you are wrong! you have plenty of power on you choice especially if don't require supervision due to shortage. I suggest you check HFO jobs advertised for east of Toronto such as Ajax/pickering etc...

immigration bit is really made easy on this website....read wiki and there are a lot of info...or read post on TWP and PR....
if you score enough then go for PR from start as it will make it a lot easier for you but if not then still prepare for PR i.e. gather most of necessary docs while you are in uk like references, ILTES etc...

if want to jump the ship and move quickly then TWP is the way forward....that will require LMIA so read on TWP and need to find employer with the will to do it for you and most will do....

good luck...
Old Sep 26th 2017, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

My understanding was that I would need a work permit under the temporary Foreign Worker Program (which would act a a bridge while I apply for PR).

I thought that in order to get this work permit I would need to get a job offer FIRST - that has been approved by LMIA?

I thought based on this I could come over and then apply for PR accordingly. Have I got completely the wrong end of the stick!?!

Thanks
Almost!
yes! you need employer but you don't have to wait to find job first.. you can gather all the documents while waiting to find employer who will do LMIA...

Also gather the docs for PR now as they do take time the longer you have been working in UK....read wiki for details of visas docs and etc...

best of luck..
Old Sep 26th 2017, 5:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If you're going down the TWP route then you're absolutely right, you do need a job offer & LMIA first. But my point was just that if you need a job offer then you might need to look at other locations, you're potentially limiting yourself by only looking at Toronto. Simply put, you may not find an employer prepared to sponsor you there. So I wouldn't worry too much about location etc yet, until you know the visa side of things is taken care of and you know where you will actually be working.

And just to add, that if you're eligible, you would also have the option of applying for PR now, without a job offer - I assume you're not if you're only looking at the TWP route, but just thought I'd add that for the sake of anybody else reading.

HTH, good luck.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Sep 26th 2017 at 5:56 am.
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If you're going down the TWP route then you're absolutely right, you do need a job offer & LMIA first. But my point was just that if you need a job offer then you might need to look at other locations, you're potentially limiting yourself by only looking at Toronto. Simply put, you may not find an employer prepared to sponsor you there. So I wouldn't worry too much about location etc yet, until you know the visa side of things is taken care of and you know where you will actually be working.

And just to add, that if you're eligible, you would also have the option of applying for PR now, without a job offer - I assume you're not if you're only looking at the TWP route, but just thought I'd add that for the sake of anybody else reading.

HTH, good luck.

Ahh thanks for that. Maybe I set my expectations too high - I will start looking in the GTA area mainly then. I just always assumed that I wouldn't have enough points for PR and would have to go via the TWP route - but maybe this is something I will have to look into more closely.

With a confirmed job in Canada It seems I score an extra 200 points and I'm assuming that will clearly take me over the threshold for applying for PR? Am I right in saying this is main (only??) difference why moving over to Canada with a job affects your threshold for applying to PR? Looking at the other points it seems that the points would remain the same if I am either run the UK or Canada.

Anyone else around in the GTA area - I suspect this is were all the Brits are moving to in terms of ontario (+-ottawa) Hassan Is currently and has been very helpful!

Thanks
Old Sep 27th 2017, 6:27 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Ahh thanks for that. Maybe I set my expectations too high - I will start looking in the GTA area mainly then. I just always assumed that I wouldn't have enough points for PR and would have to go via the TWP route - but maybe this is something I will have to look into more closely.

With a confirmed job in Canada It seems I score an extra 200 points and I'm assuming that will clearly take me over the threshold for applying for PR? Am I right in saying this is main (only??) difference why moving over to Canada with a job affects your threshold for applying to PR? Looking at the other points it seems that the points would remain the same if I am either run the UK or Canada.

Anyone else around in the GTA area - I suspect this is were all the Brits are moving to in terms of ontario (+-ottawa) Hassan Is currently and has been very helpful!

Thanks
If you're just looking for Brits then yes there are plenty in and around Toronto. If you're looking for British drs on here then Hasan and I (my husband) are the only Ontario based drs on this site.
Old Oct 6th 2017, 5:36 pm
Just Joined

a_j29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I am a GP with an MRCGP. I am looking to relocate to Ontario. I was wondering if anyone could kindly give me some advice regarding the timing of when to apply for jobs. I have submitted my credentials for source verification in order to apply for certification from the College of Family Physicians of Canada. The next step would be to apply to the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario for a restricted license. They advise that to get a license one must have a job and permanent residency/work permit in place.

My question is should you start applying for a job before applying to the CPSO or after the application has been made?

Thank you for your help!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.